ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
CHRIS_D OP
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 819
How do you remove the front brake pads?

Well I'm a bit embarrass . I'm trying to replace my front brake pads on 08 ADV and I can't seem to remove the pin that holds the pads in the caliper. I have removed the one (only) clip that holds the pin in place, but can't figure out how to unscrew the pin out of the caliper. There's no head on pin to stick a hex wrench or screwdriver on. The rear brake pads have the "normal" two clip deal which once both clips are removed it makes it easy to remove the pin. What in world am I missing here on the front?

Thanks in advance!!
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
Well I'm a bit embarrass . I'm trying to replace my front brake pads on 08 ADV and I can't seem to remove the pin that holds the pads in the caliper. I have removed the one (only) clip that holds the pin in place, but can't figure out how to unscrew the pin out of the caliper. There's no head on pin to stick a hex wrench or screwdriver on. The rear brake pads have the "normal" two clip deal which once both clips are removed it makes it easy to remove the pin. What in world am I missing here on the front?

Thanks in advance!!
They just tap out. Use a drift punch and a hammer. They should come right out.
__________________
'06 950 Adventure S
'10 Husaberg FX 450
'01 KTM 520exc
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
thugdog
Druid Revisionist
 
thugdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 396
+1, firm but gentle tap, tap, tap

...also note, just in case you get super frustrated, please NEVER apply flame/heat after using brake cleaner spray!

.
__________________

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
flyingreg
just ridin' along
 
flyingreg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugdog


...also note, just in case you get super frustrated, please NEVER apply flame/heat after using brake cleaner spray!

.
LOL, the picture that went through my mind as I read that line, totally priceless.
__________________
Greg

"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
flyingreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
CHRIS_D OP
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 819
Thanks for the replys!

I did try to push it out with a punch but didn't want to start hammering on it until I was sure.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast of California
Oddometer: 144
Did you get it out?
__________________
Bruce
Camarillo, CA
2011 KTM Adventure 990
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
Did you get it out?
Sure hope so since it was 2 years since he posted.

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Magic City in the Heart of Dixie
Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Sure hope so since it was 2 years since he posted.

/Johan
Ha! That's a good one.
But in the event he DIDN"T get the pin out, I'd bet he needs new rotors now, too... and pistons.
__________________
You must be the change you wish to see in this world.
Sadlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
CHRIS_D OP
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor View Post
Ha! That's a good one.
But in the event he DIDN"T get the pin out, I'd bet he needs new rotors now, too... and pistons.
Yes I got the pin out.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 969
at this thread....I'm swapping my 990's out for the first time, and went through the same exercise of trying and not wanting to hammer too hard, so thought I'd consult the forum.

Thanks for the instrux & chuckles
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Thanks for the instrux & chuckles
There is plenty of help to find and a few jokes here and there.

If you missed it look up "Aurel cable", see I got my own now when buying a new 990R :-)

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,909
I have to say that pin is the suckiest thing - makes a changing them when you are travelling just that little more difficult than it needs to be.
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Magic City in the Heart of Dixie
Oddometer: 690
Oh, and one more thing...

Whenever I change the brake pads, front or rear, I always put anti-seize on the pins before replacement.

I'm sure there are other chemical compounds that will work.

The pins always come out easily, once the small cotter pins are removed.
__________________
You must be the change you wish to see in this world.
Sadlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor View Post
Whenever I change the brake pads, front or rear, I always put anti-seize on the pins before replacement.

I'm sure there are other chemical compounds that will work.

The pins always come out easily, once the small cotter pins are removed.
With the right tools they out easily but as a traveller doing some where other than their garage it isn't as friendly as it could be. The rears are much better I just want to do it with the minimal of tools.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Australia - Great Southern Land
Oddometer: 1,104
Wink Love those pins....

I used a pin head punch to take out brake pin.
A tyre lever in between the pads is good too hold it steady, (place foot on lever)
I found my last replacement pads to be very tight when new, could hardly push bike!!
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014