Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #46
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1466 View Post
Changing bikes is all part of my secret plan to work my way into something expensive. I buy my bikes used, ride them a season or two, then sell them for what I paid. When I buy the next bike, I just tell the wife "this new bike is only X dollars more than what I made on the last one, and it's WAY better." This is also usually accompanied by some statement like "I'll keep this one a while, really..." The way I figure it, if I keep working my way up the ladder, she'll either get tired of it and tell me to buy whatever I want, or in 4 or 5 years, I'll be riding a MOTUS or a Multistrada anyway
Devious bahstid.

Be careful about putting any of these plans in writing. There are spousal spies everywhere.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #47
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1466 View Post
Changing bikes is all part of my secret plan to work my way into something expensive. I buy my bikes used, ride them a season or two, then sell them for what I paid. When I buy the next bike, I just tell the wife "this new bike is only X dollars more than what I made on the last one, and it's WAY better." This is also usually accompanied by some statement like "I'll keep this one a while, really..." The way I figure it, if I keep working my way up the ladder, she'll either get tired of it and tell me to buy whatever I want, or in 4 or 5 years, I'll be riding a MOTUS or a Multistrada anyway
Oh yes. VERY familiar with at strategy.
Pulling the trigger on the K1600 GT next week.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #48
Street Hawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
what makes you change you bike?

Another bike of course!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #49
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Change is sometimes good, but sometimes not.

When I got back into riding I did a ton of research on what to buy. Test drove several models and styles. Settled on a BMW R1100RT because I wanted to tour out west. The more I rode the more I wanted another gear and cruise control. Rode the bike for about 70,000 miles and sold it to a friend. Then I bought a BMW K1200LT because the wife was not real comfortable on the RT. Rode that thing all over with her and to Alaska by myself. Dropped it a couple times because of the weight and high center of gravity. Went back to a 1200RT, got the extra gear and cruise control. Thought I was done buying for a while then the 1600GTL was announced. Decided I had to have one. Good God Almighty that bike was fast. Took it to Barber two up and to the RA rally in Denver. Great fun but not jus what I wanted. Sold it and went back to a 1200RT. Really happy by myself or two up. I guess Im just an RT kind of guy. Id like to get a Triumph Bonnivelle but wont be selling my RT.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #50
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
I have had a hard time changing bikes. I currently own a 2002 Honda ST1100 that I have farkled and fussed with until it seems like it is perfect for me. I have owned it for 9 yrs. Recently I seriously was looking at trading for a Super Tenere, because I felt like I needed something newer that I could go more places on. I test rode the Super Tenere and it was great, however, I just could not get over the attraction I have for the ST and that wonderful V-4. It was like betraying a reliable old friend that I had travelled many miles with. I just couldn't do it. I have loyalty for my old friend the ST. Not to mention the finances involved. Hell, a new motorcycle is as much as a small car these days.

Will I pull the trigger on a Super Tenere in the future? Probably so, but I just can't give up my old friend right now.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #51
Red eyed and Rollin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
This!!

Usually a long cold winter and reading all the posts on this site. I'm a week away from a new 11 XR 1200 X. Just for a change in riding styles I guess. Looking forward to the new season and no more pirates!!!
Red eyed and Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #52
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynb View Post
Will I pull the trigger on a Super Tenere in the future? Probably so, but I just can't give up my old friend right now.
This is how I feel about bikes as well. I rarely, rarely switch bikes. When your trusty steed fires up on command day after day and puts on the miles with no complaints, and still puts a huge smile on your face, I really couldn't see a reason for switching.

I keep up to date on new bikes and technology and of course some bikes are lust worthy just from reading about them, but in order to actually get into a dealership and give up my current ride would take some serious mountains moving.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #53
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,456
Boredom
Lust
Mileage

Not necessarily in that order.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
TX Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
For me it was a combo of wanting something new, and that my two bikes were too similar to keep both. My Sprint ST (owned 6 years) and Bandit 1250 (owning 4 years) were about equal in overall ability (handling, engine, brakes). I got the Bandit when the ABS on my BMW K1100RS went on the blink. The Bandit ergos are easier on my shoulder and wrists, and had ABS to boot. So the Sprint went on the For Sale block with 36K, prisine condition, and priced to sell. 6 months, no offers. So I kept it and ended up trading it towards a '12 Aprilia Shiver 750, which is fun for twisty backroads.

Now I'm eyeing a Norton 961 when they hit the states. Might be fun to tour on that one
TX Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #55
Josh1466
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Oh yes. VERY familiar with at strategy.
Pulling the trigger on the K1600 GT next week.

David
Proof that the strategy works! Congrats on the new bike
Josh1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #56
jake.i.am
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I don't know why I have to have a K1600GT, but I do. I have had two Harley's, a Road King Classic and currently I own a RoadGlide Custom. My best answer is I just want to try something new and the K1600GT excites me. I have test ridden it and as soon as I can get the trade value of the RoadGlide acceptable I am swapping. Can't wait. I truly enjoyed both Harley's and they were both very good bikes. No issues what so ever. I guess the short answer is it is an emotional thing. Normally I am a very practical person, however I work very hard so when it comes to my hobby, my outlet, I let the emotions take over. I am sure in a few years the K1600 will be old to me as well and I will look for the next thing. Purchasing a new bike is my reward. Also, if the wife is not on board, let her buy a new bike for herself. My wife rides a RoadGlide also. Actually that's what started me looking for a new ride. Now that she rides a RoadGlide, it has become a "chic bike" to me.
jake.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #57
HR Puffinstuff
aka hotrod

Oddometer: 149
bought the harley because the wife didn't like riding on the back of the buell.

bought the buell because the suzuki didn't have valve seals to speak of, and the holes in the valve guides were oval, along with the cylinders. oil fouling the plugs made it difficult or impossible to start w/o removing a couple of plugs and cleaning them up.

bought the suzi because the honda didn't have valve seals to speak of......
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #58
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Very rough, poorly maintained back roads (but otherwise excellent for riding) locally made me change, was riding a Monster and it did not work well on them....bought a supermoto which works much better and a bit later replaced the Monster w/ a Tiger 955i which also is a big improvement...the roads only get worse each year where I live so will probably stick with dual sports and ADV bikes

victor441 screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:16 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #59
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Boredom would be at the top of my list. I can, and do, get bored with anything.

Intentions, dreams and delusions also come into play. 10 years ago I had not the slightest interest in dirt riding or pretending I'm going to go down the trans-america trail. Today, I like to delude myself into thinking I just might. Hence the likes of the XL500 in my shed.

As well, age. Carpal tunnel, etc. I'm no longer to tolerate a bike that doesn't fit me the way I was years ago. Hence the Road King that lives with the above XL500.

Neither are bikes I would have ever expected to see around my place a few years ago.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #60
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
This is how I feel about bikes as well. I rarely, rarely switch bikes. When your trusty steed fires up on command day after day and puts on the miles with no complaints, and still puts a huge smile on your face, I really couldn't see a reason for switching.

I keep up to date on new bikes and technology and of course some bikes are lust worthy just from reading about them, but in order to actually get into a dealership and give up my current ride would take some serious mountains moving.
I recently sold three of my beloved bikes.
FJ1200
SR500
TT600
Struggled with that. I replaced them with.
XT1200z Tenere
690 Duke, KTM
500 xc-w, KTM
I've been very happy with my upgrades! Everything I liked about the first three I like better about the replacements. I thought I'd miss the arm stretching the FJ could do and I do a little. But the Tenere is a torque monster and I don't miss the high speed like I thought I would.
The Duke out preforms the SR in every way enough said.
My TT600 was Big Bored and Very Strong! It's winter here in Iowa school still out on the xc-w.
Haven't heard a complaint about them yet.
My point is we get comfortable with our rides and close our minds.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote