Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #286
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Even though working on a bike can be intimidating for a first timer, I second what Dendrophobe said. This is a great mod for non-wrenchers to get their feet wet on. It contains all the elements of basic design and implementation and requires only a tiny bit of fabrication in the creation of the bracket.

Beyond developing a better understanding of your bikes systems you get to walk away from the experience with the satisfaction of knowing that you did the work yourself ... that no matter what else happens to your bike or where it goes in the future, it is unique to your vision of what it should be.

Here's a link to the brake modification thread that was started based upon this buy:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678523
Not only that, you'll really, really learn how to properly bleed your brakes.

Or else

Seriously, never let anyone else work on your ride unless you have no other option.
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #287
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Even though I had a professional mechanic install my Helbrake lines, I agree a competent DIYer is up to the task. With a couple of caveats:

1. Understand the harmful nature of brake fluid.

2. Make CERTAIN that the brake lines don't rub or catch anything, and they are securely in place around moving parts such as the rotors.

Never having messed with brakelines before, I could do this now in a couple of hours.

The biggest reason I had a professional mechanic install the brake lines was to reassure Helbrake that their kit worked perfectly when correctly installed. Based on the mechanic's suggestions, Helbrakes slightly modified the lines they initially sent me. Now...if they don't work...it the installer's fault!

OlyRider screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 08:36 PM
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #288
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post

1. Understand the harmful nature of brake fluid.
True that it's harmful, but the good news is that the single-stage paint that BMW uses on our bikes is extremely resistant to it. Even if you do spill all over the paint, wipe it off within a few minutes, spray off the bike and you're good to go.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #289
JFB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thumb Thanks for the group buy

I order the Kit yesterday. Couldn't find how to use the coupon put it in the commentary section and they give me the refund right away. Great services up to now.

I choose the gold bango to fit with my bee.

I hope to get it before i live to do the TAT on may 26.

Fell safer already
JFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #290
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
I bet the gold will give it a sublte custom look. Good choice!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #291
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Only question I have about the process of bleeding the brakes. The F800GS comes with "speed bleeder" caps on the brakes, correct? So I'd just have to get the proper type/size ID tubing to slide over the caps? I've seen a number of brake bleeding products out there are any worth the cash if I am just going to do the once in a year change of fluids and if they are which one is "best"?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #292
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 789
I just ordered mine.

Gecko, Regarding the installation procedures, I posed the question over in the GSpot thread. Got some good advice. I will do it myself and report back.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #293
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Still seems a bit high$ & a touch more complicated than needed in my opinion. I'm at Reno-Fernley Raceway for trackdays the next two weekends but after that I'll be looking into this a bit more.

I plan to replace the complicated BMW spider matrix with a simple three line kit from cyclebrakes. I still need to measure the lengths needed for the lines.

For mounting I'd do it similar to the way dendrophobe did by cutting down the low fairing into two fork guards or use the ones off the Marzocchi Shiver forks that I used to redo my forks, plus add a high fender backing from the old F650GS or cheaper version from a dirt bike & fab to fit. Have to see what looks best. I'd

And then one or two of these to use as a guide for the lines up top and let them move around which is how it is often done on dirt bikes.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #294
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Trigger pulled.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #295
JREDDING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Bump

Is there a step by step how to once you buy the new brake line kit? I used the search button but must not be hitting the key words. I have seen other brands installed but not this kit.

JREDDING screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 08:36 PM Reason: Added more
JREDDING is offline   Reply With Quote