Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #1816
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I`ve ridden over 300K mls on 2 ST1100 and one STX1300. Then I had a GS1100, a GS1200ADV and went back to GS1150 because I like the multi purpose bikes but always want to ride with a shaft driven bike. The ST`s were without issues, really. Then I switched over to GS and had to check my oil level all of a sudden... well been there, done that and and in April last year my dealer had 6 VFR1200X for a test day. I went for it and had to adjust again, coming from a boxer. But the bike was nimble and the engine superb, flawless. I tried both Dual Clutch and manual. There I had my doubts but my dealer offered me the opportunity to test it for a whole weekend. I took the opportunity and went for a Sauerland (Germany) weekend with the dutch GSclub, on a DCT VFR1200X. I rode 1400 km that weekend and there was no way back, it was very simple to adjust to DCT and to the engine, powerful and flawless. In August my boss (I`m a motorcycle instructor) purchased me a DCT crosstourer and I`ve been a happy camper ever since. Compared to the STX you have undoubtedly less wind protection, less comfort but the handling is phenomenal, basically. Now, 19K kms later the bike is really what I hoped for, and I have no doubt it`ll be as good as my STX back then.

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #1817
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 237
Man I wish Honda would bring the crosstourer to the US. Guess I will have to settle for my KTM990SMT in the meantime. Maybe I will just pick up a F6B as am alternative. I can always wait for the ST replacement which will be on the NC or CTX platform. Shit will be too damn old by the time all this happens.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #1818
J-P
headbanging adventurer

I also wish Honda brings the Crosstourer to the USA. That way, Corbin will see the potential and build me a seat like on all my previous bikes. This is my first bike without a Corbin and that`s one "farkle" I`d like te add.

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #1819
OldRider 125
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
I was talking to one of Honda's reps at the IMS show in Indy over the weekend. When I asked him if I should wait for them to bring the Crosstourer to the states or should I just go ahead and buy a new R1200GS, he grinned and said "we bring out new bikes all the time". I know that doesn't mean a lot, but by the way he said it, I think I'll hold out on buying a new bike just a little bit longer.
OldRider 125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #1820
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
New Hondas?

Yeah, they bring out new bikes all the time and they seem to get heavier and less sporty, too.

I ride an 1150GS in the US and a Varadero in Europe. Combine the GS brakes and suspension with the Honda's seat (comfortable and you don't have to be more than 6 feet tall with 33" inseam to reach the ground) and wind protection, get rid of the heat from the Honda engine, make the GS shift like a Honda, get a Honda quality headlight on the GS ... then put it on a diet and you'd have a truly great bike. Oh, and lose all that expensive Honda plastic.

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:41 PM Reason: lousy typos
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #1821
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
Yeah, they bring out new bikes all the time and they seem to get heavier and less sporty, too.

I ride an 1150GS in the US and a Varadero in Europe. Combine the GS brakes and suspension with the Honda's seat (comfortable and you don't have to be more than 6 feet tall with 33" inseam to reach the ground) and wind protection, get rid of the heat from the Honda engine, make the GS shift like a Honda, get a Honda quality headlight on the GS ... then put it on a diet and you'd have a truly great bike. Oh, and lose all that expensive Honda plastic.
Triumph Tiger 800?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #1822
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 72
I sat on a Honda Crossdresser today in the delaers. Damn it makes my Multistrada 1200 feel tiny! It had full luggage on it and was difficult to get on and off easily.
Don't think it's for me, the footpegs felt quite high and the seat didn't feel that good after a few minutes so I'll stick with what I have for now.
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #1823
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Crosstourer International Meeting

Hi Guys,

If interested, and willing to participate... pls check the posting linked below. Its the 15th International Meeting for Varadero Riders (incl one confirmed participant from the US!) and the 2nd Int. Crosstourermeeting:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post20925880

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #1824
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
VFR1200X 30,000km report Motorrad

German magazine Motorrad has a Crosstourer DCT on long-term test and has posted online a report on the first 30,000km.

Google translate does a creditable job.

Uses no oil at all and the only glitch has been a broken seat lock.

They were impressed that their team had liked the bike enough to rack up that distance in only seven months. But they complain about the gear selection, driveline lash, windscreen, seat, and absence of protection for the under-engine exhaust.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1825
ukiboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I bought a new CrossTourer 2 weeks ago and my impressions so far are that this is a seriously competent motorcycle. Its my 4th Honda but my first Japanese made Honda (the others: CBF500, NT700, CBF1000 were made in Italy or Spain).
I would liken the CT to a ST1300 on stilts. It has that same solid reassuring feel. Its definately no off roader in my opinion, or I should say that personally i'd not have the balls or the skill to attempt off road on it...
As a road bike, however, it is sublime; tons of useable power and torque throughout the rev range. As an autobahn cruiser it is superb - 90mph cruising feels effortless..
In town its still a good bike but you definately feel the weight, something like a WeeStrom would make a better city bike.
All in all, i'm happy as a pig in s*** with my new bike: its got that top quality Honda feel to it, its comfortable, handles well and the engine is completely stonking! The best bike I have owned to date
ukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #1826
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiboy View Post
I would liken the CT to a ST1300 on stilts. It has that same solid reassuring feel. Its definately no off roader in my opinion, or I should say that personally i'd not have the balls or the skill to attempt off road on it...
Have you tried it on gravel roads? Seems like it would be fine.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #1827
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Have you tried it on gravel roads? Seems like it would be fine.
265-285kg?

What could go wrong?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #1828
J-P
headbanging adventurer

I tried it on gravel roads, it does everything a R1150GS/R1200GSA does, and with the Crosstourer you don`t have to be scared that your telelever folds whilst landing it after a jump. Have yet to see the first broken shaft or leaking sealing too...

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #1829
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-P View Post
I tried it on gravel roads, it does everything a R1150GS/R1200GSA does, and with the Crosstourer you don`t have to be scared that your telelever folds whilst landing it after a jump. Have yet to see the first broken shaft or leaking sealing too...
I gotta say, launching the GS or the CrossTourer is a manly undertaking. More manliness than I posses. But I'm curious about the "telelever folds" bit. Never heard that one. I've seen images of BMW flambé, KTM with broken steering head, but folded telelever?

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #1830
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I gotta say, launching the GS or the CrossTourer is a manly undertaking. More manliness than I posses. But I'm curious about the "telelever folds" bit. Never heard that one. I've seen images of BMW flambé, KTM with broken steering head, but folded telelever?
Happens all the time.