Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,802
Motor shuts down in hot temps

G/day all

Have a 2010 F800GS. bought 2 years ago new. with 63,000kms

Its summer time here in Oz, was returning from a m/c get together in Bright, (North Eastern Vic).

It was hot, 37C,(100,F) and I decided to enjoy the road before F**kW**s shut it down to 80kph (50mph) next month.

Was going fairly hard, pulled over for a roadside relief stop and a photo. Shortly after the bike suddenly died. Backed off, pulled the clutch, and the motor restarted. This got worse, (more frequent loss of power, then sudden power, not fun on a chain driven bike. )
I'm talking of at least 20kms)
Coasted downhill into Bruthern in neutral with the motor running, took on 11 lts of fuel, and Bingo, no further stop/starts back home.

My guess is that the gas/petrol was vaporising because of the extreme heat and fast riding, with a tail wind.

Anyone else experince a similar thing?

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
G/day all

Have a 2010 F800GS. bought 2 years ago new. with 63,000kms

Its summer time here in Oz, was returning from a m/c get together in Bright, (North Eastern Vic).

It was hot, 37C,(100,F) and I decided to enjoy the road before F**kW**s shut it down to 80kph (50mph) next month.

Was going fairly hard, pulled over for a roadside relief stop and a photo. Shortly after the bike suddenly died. Backed off, pulled the clutch, and the motor restarted. This got worse, (more frequent loss of power, then sudden power, not fun on a chain driven bike. )
I'm talking of at least 20kms)
Coasted downhill into Bruthern in neutral with the motor running, took on 11 lts of fuel, and Bingo, no further stop/starts back home.

My guess is that the gas/petrol was vaporising because of the extreme heat and fast riding, with a tail wind.

Anyone else experince a similar thing?
I am just guessing here, as it is hard to diagnose this, not touching the bike, but clogged pump/fuel filter, as it is harder for the pump to suck up the fuel at low levels. Add on the fact that when the fuel is low, the pump has less cooling. There have been several of your situations/symptoms..... And a a few inmates have dissected their pump, to find the filter pretty nasty.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Me too

Mine did the same thing last summer. 100*+,80 - 90 mph. Ran fine but would die and be hard to start (learned I had to cycle the key). I'm leaning towards the fuel vaporizing theory because I didn't do anything with the filter and it was fine when I wasn't running hard in hot weather. I'll be watching this thread to see what I can learn.

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Ryder Patrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I have read about a similar problem in a different thread. It turned out to be the fuel pump overheating. When the bike runs low on fuel, the fuel pump is no longer fully submerged and in very hot conditions it can overheat and malfunction. When you add fuel, the pump is once again submerged and operates properly. I can't say for sure that this is what happened to you but it sounds similar.
Ryder Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Kiwirich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
maybe ?

Whilst I'm certainly not saying the pump isn't the answer....Maybe Tank Venting could be playing a part in this as well
Kiwirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I rode my 2012 F700GS in 47.5c ambient temp recently and it went ok so doubt it's a vaporising issue.

Cheers
Mark
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
EasyJet_RC
Joyrider

Oddometer: 50
My symptoms before replacing my pump & filter... Went 2 Phillip island in January in 39 degree days and 0 issues...
Bike had 65k's on....

I recon check the pump & filter
EasyJet_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,918
I live and ride in Mexico and my F650GS is my main transportation and daily rider. We get high humidity and high temps like you do in Australia. Since new, I have always tried to keep the tank at least half full when riding. First reason was the fuel pump cooling issue, second reason was the sound the float makes when you are moving the bike around in the garage, that knocking sound was a real WTF? moment at first, then I realized what it was. Still don't like the sound of it, though.
I have had an experience at very high elevation (4,200 meters) in sand and gravel where the yellow light came on indicating something, seemed like it was an overheat. Fan was on, temp was up a bit, and it stopped flashing when I coasted down to a lower elevation and never happened again.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,665
Might want to look at this thread regarding my similar experience with the fuel pump.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836460
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
hurcomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Fuel Pump

I had similar symptoms on 5 separate occasions. 2 BMW mechanics found nothing.

After a lot of forum searching i have concluded it is the fuel pump OR fuel pump controller. BMW only sell the fuel pump assembly so I have purchased a new fuel pump from highflow fuel and fitted it. It works fine but I have not tested it on a long ride in the heat (which is when the symtoms occur).

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892784...2006-2010.html

The above link i the provider- they also sell through ebay.

If this does not solve it I will try the controller
hurcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by wortho View Post
I rode my 2012 F700GS in 47.5c ambient temp recently
that's toasty.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,405
After seeing a couple of fuel filters I am leaning towards they being the culprit in a lot of these fuel pump failures.

The fuel flow is dictated by the ECU in 2 ways. It controls how long the injector is held open and what pressure the pump puts out. The fuel controller does its job by increasing amperage to the pump which dictates how fast it works, ie pressure.

Put a dirty fuel filter in the mix and that has to have a bad effect somewhere trying to over come it.

How is that for non technical theory?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
After seeing a couple of fuel filters I am leaning towards they being the culprit in a lot of these fuel pump failures.

The fuel flow is dictated by the ECU in 2 ways. It controls how long the injector is held open and what pressure the pump puts out. The fuel controller does its job by increasing amperage to the pump which dictates how fast it works, ie pressure.

Put a dirty fuel filter in the mix and that has to have a bad effect somewhere trying to over come it.

How is that for non technical theory?
I don't know...Got me stumped for the moment....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Gary:

The filter being partly clogged would sure screw things up ... it would be interesting to see the specifications on the filter ... maybe our filter is crap?

If you think about the number of gallons of fuel run thru the bike's filter vs. the gallons put through an average FI automobile I sure wouldn't expect filter loading to be a problem for the average twin owner ... If I did the math, I'm sure my car's filter has run 20X more gallons through it and has no issues....

I'm not saying you're wrong ....
I'm just saying ...
well I'm just saying ...
ummmmmmmmm something seems screwy..................

Give me my
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,405
I am just going by a couple of pictures posted on this site. The filters looked pretty filthy to me and enough so to be an obstacle to push gas through. I assume that controller is going raise amperage until it gets the pressure requested, as measured at the fuel rail.

The pre filter is supposed to be 10 microns. I would expect the the post pump filter to be similar.

You don't change gas filters in your car with each oil change? My Jiffy lube guy tells me I need one.