Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #46
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 346
Dealer #2 should challenge Dealer #1 to a duel l'outrance. The choice of which to give continued business to will then be obvious.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #47
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I'd go back to dealer 1, but if if happens again I'd go to #2.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #48
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
$1000 for new rotors?
They are just over $100 each and saying you chose to replace the pads, another $120 and maybe the rotor screws at $10ish.. 30 minutes labor to r&r the front wheel.

Maybe I need to re-read but worst case, he would have been out a few hundred and had 'designer HD or aftermarket rotors'

Ride on over to the left coast and I'll do your 10k for the cost of oil/filters

Last thing is that a lot of bike shops (dealers and indies) aren't that well connected to the internet. Even if they have a fancy web site, the guys that work there don't often respond in a timely manner because they learned to fix and sell bikes, not type... When you have an issue you want a quick response on, phone or in person is the best way to handle it. In fact, in most circumstances that rule applies; not just to bikes.
Sorry I haven,t got a clue on the cost of that repair on one of those things...it could have been any repair I kinda getting at

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #49
greybeard rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
worked as a service adviser in a car dealership. You get paid for warranty work .Not as well . ipersonally would have looked it up or spoke to the manufacters rep or my gm. After spending 40k inthe dealership & getting service done I would go above & beyond for that customer. Shoot if a customer got a expensive service they got a free carwash.If they had a gripe a free oil change . In the scheme of things these things are realitvly inexpensive. People talk as we can see. I would try the new dealership .
greybeard rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #50
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Looks like I'll be giving them a second shot. I received this email from them today:

Good afternoon Mark
Im contacting you to follow up on your last visit. I have discussed and retrained our service advisors on the importance of us being professionals.
Also our dedication to provide the best customer service possible. I know this wont happen again Mark, and again I apologize.
I would like to give you something for your inconvenience. Please stop by and see me next time your in the dealership.
Look forward to seeing you.
Thanks Mark

PAUL D.GALIPEAU
Service Director
HARLEY-DAVIDSON of GREENSBORO
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,407
I look forward to hearing how happy they made you.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #52
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Don't accept anything less than two pounds of thick sliced bacon and a 12 pack.

Good follow-up on Paul's s part.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #53
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Don't accept anything less than two pounds of thick sliced bacon and a 12 pack.

Good follow-up on Paul's s part.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is what you should ask for

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #54
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,364
Well, let's see. One store tried to fuck you out of $1000, and the other store didn't. Which one should you go to next time? How is this even a question?

And for the apologists, mistake my ass. It's a brake rotor, not a space shuttle part. You think this is the first time a bike has come in with a warped rotor? Either they know what they're doing and they tried to fuck him out of a grand, or they're incompetent goons who can't read a simple warranty agreement. Either way I wouldn't let them change a tire on my daughter's Schwinn.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #55
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 5,997
I'm enjoying watching the pedalling backwards as they try to extricate themselves.

--Bill
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #56
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
I would like to give you something for your inconvenience. Please stop by and see me next time your in the dealership.
Look forward to seeing you.
Thanks Mark
[/I]

"You're."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #57
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I had something similar happen to me in regards to service work at a dealership. Nine years ago my '02 DR650 would stall whenever you would let off the throttle, especially at mid to full throttle. I took it to the nearest Suzuki dealer who is eight miles away from me. After two attempts to fix it without any success they assured me that it was a faulty carb design and that "they all do that". Well, it was a recent problem and handn't done it at all the first year, so I took it to another dealer that is twenty six miles away. They looked into it and found that the fuel mixture screw has come loose. So, for the next eight years or so, I took all my business to the dealer who had fixed the problem. The problem was the distance. So, over the last two years I have slowly gone back to the first dealer, having them mount tires and repairing small things that I didn't want to do. I was testing them to see if the service department had improved. They have come a long ways and now I have gone back to them, simply for convienence sake. The point of my story is that sometimes, depending on the mechanics and techs working in the shop, your service work can be less than expected. But things change, people come and go, so a shop that seems less than qualified can improve over time. Either that or learn to do it yourself!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #58
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,502
I know of cases where the manufacturer has caused issues like this with inconsistent warranty. I ran onto this With Chevrolet years ago. At that time I had a friend at GM (he was laid off years ago and now drives a truck, and is happier) and he told me who to contact.

So give the dealer a chance, it sounds like they were in the middle.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #59
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Went to the shop yesterday after work, around 5pm, I was told Paul had the day off. Today I received this email from Paul:

Sorry I missed you yesterday; I had a water leak at the house. Ill be here all day today and tomorrow.

PAUL D. GALIPEAU
Service Director

I'm going to try again after work today.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #60
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
"Everybody owes me something..." a common problem in today's society....

They made a mistake and admitted it. We've all made them.

I'd give them a second chance, but that's just me.

A service department is not there to service H-D or any other brand. The manufacturer does not pay them, nor does the manufacturer buy the bikes. The service department is there to service the customer.

If the complaint is even remotely legitimate they should pursue it for the customer. Make sure it isn't warranty and even fight it with the manufacturer if they think it should be warranty.

There was a rider on another forum who had a bad carburetor, the body had the opening for one of the jets machined too large, the brass would move in the body. The owner was the second owner. One dealer told the customer they were out of luck, they needed to buy a new carb (over $400). Knowing this is truly a defect, I told the rider to go to another dealer (oddly enough the dealer who took care of them is a short distance from where I live), fill them in, and ask for help. It was a flaw from Mikuni. The dealer went to bat for the customer and Suzuki took care of the problem. A flaw is a flaw, a happy customer will sell a few bikes, a pissed one will ruin a dozen sales. Fix the flaw. Shoot, Yamaha was still doing Virago 920 cams into the 90s on any bike.

If the OP goes back to the first dealer, which I think they should, they should make it clear this is the second chance and that they expect the service department to be THEIR service department, not the manufacturer, and to try to do right by the customer.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote