Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #241
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Simple strawman response. Go hit google images for a C5 or C6 Corvette interior and then talk to me.
I've forgotten more about modern production cars than most people are ever going to know.

I would have agreed with you about European interiors. But you also referenced Japanese interiors and didn't clarify what kind of Japanese interiors you were referencing. Between Toyota and Subaru the Japanese make some of the most utterly boring, plasticky, hideous interiors in the business. Of course historically GM isn't much better with their cartoon-like interiors and cheap switchgear. But I'm betting this new Vette is going to be a departure from all of that.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #242
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Between Toyota and Subaru the Japanese make some of the most utterly boring, plasticky, hideous interiors in the business. Of course historically GM isn't much better with their cartoon-like interiors and cheap switchgear. But I'm betting this new Vette is going to be a departure from all of that.
The Camaro I'm currently in, more plastic than Rodeo Drive.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #243
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
That's the biggest Fisher Price car I've ever seen.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #244
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
I've forgotten more about modern production cars than most people are ever going to know.
You'd remember more if you'd smoke less

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #245
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
You'd remember more if you'd smoke less
I wish I could blame it on that

Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #246
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
That's the biggest Fisher Price car I've ever seen.

For the love of this thread, and a C6 owner, what good did I possibly think could come from driving this Camaro between south Chicago and Milwaukee? None. I'm really soaking in the first hand experience of being able to drive all of these cars and not just for a 20 minute test drive, but I live with them for a week. I have learned a shit ton about the current manufactures that just can't be glommed from a magazine or internet article. This car has a miserable ride, terrible seats, sub-par stereo, plastic bits everywhere and a trunk the size of a breadbox, call me juvenile but the smokey burnouts and drifting off ramps never, ever gets old.

I'm turning into a geezer and just appreciate cars that travel/work well, now where are the keys to that Avalon Touring.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #247
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
The Camaro I'm currently in, more plastic than Rodeo Drive.

Why buy a new, pricey, overweight, oversized camaro (or any other new pony car) when you can buy a low miles C5 or C6 Vettte for many thousands $ less?

This is my conclusion after driving the big three hipo V8 pony cars, ranging from the $40s into the $50s

TooFast screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 03:47 PM Reason: gramir
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #248
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
Why buy a new, pricey, overweight, oversized camaro (or any other new pony car) when you can buy a low miles C5 or C6 Vettte for many thousands $ less?

This is my conclusion after driving the big three hipo V8 pony cars, ranging from the $40s into the $50s

Exactly, see what I mean about seat time and drawing your own conclusions. If I'm not mistaken THIS guy is an auto reporter who praised this shitbox.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #249
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Exactly, see what I mean about seat time and drawing your own conclusions. If I'm not mistaken THIS guy is an auto reporter who praised this shitbox.
Not exactly a "reporter", and he was spot on. It is a hell of a lot of car for the money. It may be plasticky and may not have a great ride, but you aren't going to get it all for $23,000 today. Four short years ago a car that performed on the same level started at $30,000 (a WRX has similar performance starting around $25,000, but it can't touch the gas mileage). Personally I'm not a fan of the Camaro(e), but it was a definite hit for GM.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #250
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Not exactly a "reporter", and he was spot on. It is a hell of a lot of car for the money. It may be plasticky and may not have a great ride, but you aren't going to get it all for $23,000 today. Four short years ago a car that performed on the same level started at $30,000 (a WRX has similar performance starting around $25,000, but it can't touch the gas mileage). Personally I'm not a fan of the Camaro(e), but it was a definite hit for GM.
We can agree to disagree. Numbers on paper can't compare to seat time and the base car is nothing special, period. The 4 door Maxima SE I sometimes get "feels" faster than this Camaro, straightline and on the ramps. I bought a C6 with 18,000 miles for 22K, that I consider a lot of car for the money. Not sure what you veiw as a "hit", nor do I know the sales numbers, but I never see these things around here.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #251
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. Numbers on paper can't compare to seat time and the base car is nothing special, period. The 4 door Maxima SE I sometimes get "feels" faster than this Camaro, straightline and on the ramps. I bought a C6 with 18,000 miles for 22K, that I consider a lot of car for the money. Not sure what you veiw as a "hit", nor do I know the sales numbers, but I never see these things around here.
Let's leave the butt dyno out of this. Camaro:

As it were, the Chevy's heft did little to aid acceleration. While quick, at 5.7 seconds to 60 and 14.3 at 98.9 mph through the quarter mile, the Camaro stopped the clock long after the Ford. GM's high-tech direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 makes a healthy 304 horsepower -- right there with Mustang's 305 -- but when saddled with nearly 3800 pounds, its health quickly deteriorates. "The V-6 excites some trim in the back at certain rpm, and you can feel vibration through the shifter, pedals, and floor at high revs-not too refined," observes Markus. Loh adds, "Engine has the grunt, but can feel sluggish at times." What the Camaro did possess, though, was grip. Sure, it displayed ample understeer at the limit -- per technical editor Kim Reynolds: "On the skid pad and figure eight, the car desired, nay, demanded, heavy understeer." -- but its sticky 0.91 g lateral acceleration, second-quickest 25.5-tick figure-eight time, and planted on-the-road feel made it a satisfying drive for 7/10ths carving. "Never fails to serve up a locked down ride," says Loh. "It really does feel like you're riding on some big, meaty tires all the time."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2LOm6S1LI

Maxima:
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 2.4 sec
0-40 3.4
0-50 4.5
0-60 5.8
0-70 7.4
0-80 9.2
0-90 11.8
0-100 15.1
QUARTER MILE 14.3 sec @ 97.7 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 118 ft 125 ft 121 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.85 g (avg)
BASE PRICE $36,360
PRICE AS TESTED $40,885

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2LOoJZyEd

The Maxima has similar but slightly worse straight line performance, and definitely doesn't handle as well. It's also a hell of a lot more expensive, and not meant to compare to a base Camaro.

As for your C6, yes, it is a hell of a lot of bang for the buck just like my GT500. But both were purchased used and aren't really an apples to apples comparison to a new pony car Camaro. Again, I'm really not a fan of the Camaro (which might be the reason I have a Shelby ), but I applaud the performance AND economy it offers in an affordable package. They had to go cheap on some part of the car, sounds like among other things they saved money on the interior. Again, what do you really expect when purchasing brand new for $23,000? Make a real comparison among new cars - the Camaro is a bargain, offering performance you couldn't touch for that price just a handful of years ago.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #252
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

I don't mean to diminish all your research, not really big into numbers, but every goddamn 4 door family sedan has 300HP, big deal. The BASE car for which I'm driving is a shitbox that can do a burnout. That's about it and in my book, doesn't make it a "lot" of car for 23 grand.

You want me to spend 23K on a new car in 2010 money? We will probably agree to disagree on this one as well.

Who needs 300HP, I'd buy a GTI, better mileage, a hell of a lot more fun to drive, and will age much, much more gracefully.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #253
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Who needs 300HP, I'd buy a GTI,
:ymca

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #254
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
I don't mean to diminish all your research, not really big into numbers, but every goddamn 4 door family sedan has 300HP, big deal. The BASE car for which I'm driving is a shitbox that can do a burnout. That's about it and in my book, doesn't make it a "lot" of car for 23 grand.

You want me to spend 23K on a new car in 2010 money? We will probably agree to disagree on this one as well.

Who needs 300HP, I'd buy a GTI, better mileage, a hell of a lot more fun to drive, and will age much, much more gracefully.
$23,000 in 2010, $23,500 today for a 2013 model. It's still a $23,000 car MSRP, which really means $21,000 if you know how to negotiate.

As for the GTI, you're right. We'll have to agree to disagree. I generally have no love for fwd "performance" cars. I dislike the tendency to spin the inside front wheel when throttling out of the corner, the general abundance of understeer, and the lack of throttle induced oversteer. Again I'm not a fan of the Camaro and would certainly buy a Mustang first, but I'd take either one over a GTI.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #255
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree.
Just as I thought.

Yet another boring day behind the wheel of this "hit" of a car we call the Camaro.

PS - in 3 days and over 500 miles, I've seen a total of one other "hit"

Back on topic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: