Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #46
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
I'd love to have a modular helmet, but I have an Arai head (Signet-Q feels like is was made specifically for me). The Shark Evoline II, while a nice helmet, was ridiculously uncomfortable and left me with a bright red spot on my forehead every time I wore it. I've demoed the Neotech at the Bike Show, and I like it a lot. My concern is that WebBikeWorld's review has it shaped the same as the Evoline.

I really wish Arai would just build one already.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
toniguedes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
Bom dia, Toni. No worries, your English is 100 times better than my Portuguese.

I will agree with all who said fit is most important - there are few bad helmets anymore, only those that lack features you want or that don't fit.

Greater Boston motorsports in Arlington (outside Boston) carries both the Schuberth and Neotec. They'll knock 30 or 40 bucks off the price if you ask, but that's it. I tried both, found the Neo a much better fit, and will pick one up in the spring.

Good luck.
I'll be staying in Warwick / RI, so I'm planning to go there when visiting Boston.

I'm willing to visit all stores on my way!
Besides the helmet, I'm also planning to buy other stuff (gloves, boots, jacket ...), and it's always better to try before buying, since I will not have much time for a change.

Thanks for the tip!
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #48
toniguedes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan, ordering from Revzilla. We don't have anywhere in Rhode Island (or nearby CT/southeastern MA) to try on the models you're looking for. I would suggest you order a couple of different styles and return what doesn't work. Revzilla has great customer service.

As for food, there are a lot of Brazilians living in the area. Your son needs to get out more so he knows where to take you :)

Hope you have a wonderful visit, and find a great helmet.
Hi,
Is it a good practice to order something you already know you'll be returning?
I'm just asking because I don't want to do anything wrong.

I am planning to spend most of my time there enjoying good food and tasting some local beers with my son.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #49
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
One thing about polarizing, they make some windscreens have some halo effect. Also, LCD's may not be visible. I had sunglasses with polarized lenses and they made for some weird effects. Could not see digital LCD readouts.
All i own is polarized glasses , im used to the funky glass and plastic and lcd's but its worth it to me . it cuts down on so much of the glare . It kills my head all that glare , almost gives me a migraine .
I was looking for tinted polarized sheets to make my own .
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #50
toniguedes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
There's also a lot of people of Portuguese descent around Providence, so it shouldn't be hard to find Portuguese speakers.

Yeah, I know!
My son's girlfriend is one of them, but can't say a word in portuguese.

Anyway, my english is at least good enough to order some food & beer and my son will be with me most of the time to help me...

In case of panic I'll ask for help over here.

Thanks!

toniguedes screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 06:01 PM
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #51
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
I've had a bunch of mod helmets over the years since my first Beiffe Mod4. My last mod helmet was a Multitec, which was replaced last summer with a Neotec. I consider the Neotec a significant step up from the Multitec in both fit and overall function. It's less "jowley" than the Multitec and fits the face a little tighter more like a competition helmet. It uses the newer fit pattern that no longer requires me to bash in the forehead foam, so within a few weeks of wearing I was all-day comfy in it. The noise level is quite good for a mod helmet, but you'll still probably need earplugs.

I normally hate flip-down sunshield visors in helmets since most of them do a terrible job. Distorted optics, too far from the eyes, not dark enough .... I usually prefer to wear sunglasses. However with this helmet I actually find they got it right. I think it works very well and I no longer want to wear sunglasses when riding in it. There is also enough room for my earplug headphones without interference. So what's not to like?

OK, so here is my one serious complaint: ventilation . The chin vents don't do a whole lot even on an unfaired bike, and the scalp vent pales in comparison to the venting on my older X-11. The chin curtain blocks so much noise that it interferes with ventilation and make it feel stuffy inside. I had to buy a pinlock system for the face shield in order to make the helmet usable in temps below 50F, even on my DR650. It would immediately start to fog at stops. On my fully faired RT with the aftermarket windscreen it feels hot / suffocating at temps above 80F. This thing needs better vents, even at the cost of more noise.

An otherwise excellent helmet if you can live with this issue.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #52
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
I've had a bunch of mod helmets over the years since my first Beiffe Mod4. My last mod helmet was a Multitec, which was replaced last summer with a Neotec. I consider the Neotec a significant step up from the Multitec in both fit and overall function. It's less "jowley" than the Multitec and fits the face a little tighter more like a competition helmet. It uses the newer fit pattern that no longer requires me to bash in the forehead foam, so within a few weeks of wearing I was all-day comfy in it. The noise level is quite good for a mod helmet, but you'll still probably need earplugs.

I normally hate flip-down sunshield visors in helmets since most of them do a terrible job. Distorted optics, too far from the eyes, not dark enough .... I usually prefer to wear sunglasses. However with this helmet I actually find they got it right. I think it works very well and I no longer want to wear sunglasses when riding in it. There is also enough room for my earplug headphones without interference. So what's not to like?

OK, so here is my one serious complaint: ventilation . The chin vents don't do a whole lot even on an unfaired bike, and the scalp vent pales in comparison to the venting on my older X-11. The chin curtain blocks so much noise that it interferes with ventilation and make it feel stuffy inside. I had to buy a pinlock system for the face shield in order to make the helmet usable in temps below 50F, even on my DR650. It would immediately start to fog at stops. On my fully faired RT with the aftermarket windscreen it feels hot / suffocating at temps above 80F. This thing needs better vents, even at the cost of more noise.

An otherwise excellent helmet if you can live with this issue.
You had to purchase a pin lock system for the Neotec? Interesting. My Neotec came with a pin lock system as part of the purchase.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
Good reviews here
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

I plan on getting the HBC RPHA Max.

mike
It tested very well in the German magazine "Motorrad". I was planning on getting it, but at the time was in the market, it wasn't available in the US.

http://www.motorradonline.de/helme/m...06905?seite=14

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
You had to purchase a pin lock system for the Neotec? Interesting. My Neotec came with a pin lock system as part of the purchase.
It came with a pinlock capable face shield, but the secondary pinlock visor was of course not included. Did yours come with the additional pinlock visor insert?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #55
That'sLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
It came with a pinlock capable face shield, but the secondary pinlock visor was of course not included. Did yours come with the additional pinlock visor insert?
My Neotec came with the Pinlock insert. I thought they all did?

Love the Pinlock visor, works great!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #56
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. Mine was included.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #57
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
yow! i really like the shark evoline 3. i hope it fits my head...looks great. innovative technology. my question is: have they addressed properly the issues with ventilation and noise? it would really suck to have a red spot on my forehead! Kirk Out

james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #58
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,395
Quote:

Really? All the pinlock-capable helmets I've bought have come with the insert.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #59
toniguedes OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
yow! i really like the shark evoline 3. i hope it fits my head...looks great. innovative technology. my question is: have they addressed properly the issues with ventilation and noise? it would really suck to have a red spot on my forehead! Kirk Out
Hello Kirk,

I really like how it looks!
Resembles something out of a sci-fi movie, like Tron or something like that,
but I was told to stay away from it, as one of my biggest concerns is the noise.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #60
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post

Based on the looks of the design I would think there would be limited sealing and excessive noise. Looks good though.