ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #1411
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 11,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Of course if you add an F1 car in there the racebike can get a huge maybe 20 second head start as well.
I once saw a graph of Suzuka when they both raced there showing the laptime difference it was insane how much faster an F! car is.
No motorcycle in the mix, but....

__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #1412
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Thanks for the find- I remember seeing that YEARS ago.

Wonder how different the results would be with present day machines?
The track looking much more treacherous in it's previous form.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #1413
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome
 
yooperbikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: The blue groove
Oddometer: 12,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
what about Wayne Rainey?
Not the same -- Rainey was in the premier class for 6 years, had 3 consecutive World Championships and was well on his way to a 4th (he still finished 2d, despite not getting any points in the last three rounds) when his career ended in the gravel trap at Misano.
__________________
"...people in the stands want to see good, close racing. The thing is to put on a show, and that’s what’s going to draw people in..." -- Scotty Parker



yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #1414
Skowinski
Chordate
 
Skowinski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Oddometer: 4,712
I was watching that race live when Rainey crashed, it didn't really look that bad the way he went down - at first. But everyone sitting there watching knew something really bad had just happened he way he landed at the end of his tumble and then didn't get up.
__________________

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu


In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #1415
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome
 
yooperbikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: The blue groove
Oddometer: 12,359
A variety of sources have confirmed that SpeedTV will be carrying MotoGP in the states.
__________________
"...people in the stands want to see good, close racing. The thing is to put on a show, and that’s what’s going to draw people in..." -- Scotty Parker



yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #1416
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Of course if you add an F1 car in there the racebike can get a huge maybe 20 second head start as well.
I once saw a graph of Suzuka when they both raced there showing the laptime difference it was insane how much faster an F! car is.
Yes, but with what, maybe 40 times the tire contact patch? Is the lap time THAT much faster?
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #1417
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 445
Listened to the part where Cameron talks about Stoner's unhappiness with CRTs. I guess they're alike in having their heads in the sand about financial realities. Fine, CRTs suck compared to factory bikes, but 12-bike grids suck even more, which Cameron didn't bother to mention would have been the consequences of not having CRTs.

Anyway, Stoner's reasons for retiring never made much sense. Probably the simplest explanation is the best: he burned out mentally.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #1418
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Is the lap time THAT much faster?
Yes. F1 is significantly faster than motogp. Like, well over 20 seconds on longer tracks. Motogp bikes are fast. F1 is unworldly.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang...cuit#section_4
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepan...cuit#section_4
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #1419
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lewisville, NC
Oddometer: 378
The piece with Kevin Cameron is very good.
He can certainly explain things more clearly on sound than by written word
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #1420
ErikY.
Insulhater
 
ErikY.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North of you, probably
Oddometer: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
Listened to the part where Cameron talks about Stoner's unhappiness with CRTs. I guess they're alike in having their heads in the sand about financial realities. Fine, CRTs suck compared to factory bikes, but 12-bike grids suck even more, which Cameron didn't bother to mention would have been the consequences of not having CRTs.

Anyway, Stoner's reasons for retiring never made much sense. Probably the simplest explanation is the best: he burned out mentally.
As said before (Krop I think) there have always been a pack of "slow" bikes out there except for a few years.

And he retired because he reproduced IMO.
__________________
"Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb.
"Know yourself as nothing; feel yourself as everything."-Rupert Spira
"Touratech have nice mounting kits but they want a testicle and half a square yard of scrotum skin for them. They can f*** right off." Frey Bentos
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #1421
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Not the same -- Rainey was in the premier class for 6 years, had 3 consecutive World Championships and was well on his way to a 4th (he still finished 2d, despite not getting any points in the last three rounds) when his career ended in the gravel trap at Misano.
i understand the difference between his situation and the others but i was basing his comparison off the idea of "a candle that burned quickly..."

in retrospect i should not disrespect Wayne Rainey by comparing him to Casey
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #1422
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
As said before (Krop I think) there have always been a pack of "slow" bikes out there except for a few years.

And he retired because he reproduced IMO.
He also could have retired because of seeing Simo's crash...That would have a devastating impact on anyone
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1423
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer
 
sprocketjock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
He also could have retired because of seeing Simo's crash...That would have a devastating impact on anyone
Casey himself said that if someone looked at what happened to Marco and decided to retire, they didn't know what it meant to be a racer.
sprocketjock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #1424
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjock View Post
Casey himself said that if someone looked at what happened to Marco and decided to retire, they didn't know what it meant to be a racer.
he must not know what it means to be a racer then
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1425
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
He also could have retired because of seeing Simo's crash...That would have a devastating impact on anyone
Stoner qualified 2nd for that race (behind Pedrosa) and never saw the crash. They were red flagged and never came around to the crash site again. I'm sure he has seen the video, but that doesn't have the same effect.
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014