Dang!, Gonna miss you guys this weekend. Take some pics of the process

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782103
FolkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #92
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Starting the rebuild

Where we left off in late fall was an empty bike and lots of boxes. The new parts were ordered and came in. Good to check everything twice before starting this or there may be some annoying times in the garage. Good (I think) to keep all the old parts to compare too.

Yeah there are a lot of sail bags, scuba tanks, etc. This is an ADVENTURE garage.

Fired up the coffee maker, turned on the jet heater for a few minutes and the garage was up to temp (58ish). Of course the big metal mass objects get lots of dew on them, but oh well, if you use the tools enough, there shouldn't be too much rust on them, right?

Now we started this big thread over on f650 site regarding the oil leaking out the breather which led to the new sealed bearings (vs unsealed) which led to some discussion, but in the end, the sealed bearings prevailed and are being installed. Some limited discussion here too and there are big threads on here somewhere that seem 50/50 on the subject.

Heating the case to about 180 degrees F on the dual-purpose kerosene heater/case expander 2000. The bearings are outside in the snow. They ended up dropping in place for the most part.

But Eric tapped in a seal slightly too far which created some drag a bearing (forget which one); luckily we were able to nudge it out a tad.

The first day was pretty much getting the parts laid out, bearings in and one side of the case filled with stuff.

Eric and I were the wrenches today.

Hopefully there will be more of these
than these this weekend (the sign of a good build thread?)

More to come....

divimon2000 screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 01:45 PM
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #93
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Top end

We hit the top end - put the valves in, valve seals, springs, spacers and caps. 2 openings were out of spec, two were in, so swapped one shim and bought another, brought them all back in to spec.

Seals in

All in

Three caps on, last spacer being placed

Aside from getting the little valve collet thingys in place, this section deserves a
Old 03-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #94
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Bets?

Any bets this thing fires up on the second turn of the engine? Post your vote.

Water pump seals went in next. Find a suitable drift (socket) to knock them in with a mallet. Typically the open side contacts the material to be blocked (oil and radiator fluid in this case). The pump blades, gear and shaft seemed to be in fine shape so they were re-used.

Inside one in:

Then both in:

Chose not to add grease- Eric thinks its a "customer trick" so they don't come back in a week with a tad of leaking water. I don't know.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #95
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oil pumps

Then the oil pumps when back in. Added some oil to pre-lube all the parts. This engine (dry sump) has the engine feed pump and the scavenger pump to send it back to the oil tank.

Must be loctite 243 on these bolts since we have it out.

Flipped it over and added the counter balance shaft (took it out to align both)

Then lined up the marks and dropped in the crankshaft and countershaft together.

Took a break to see a friends band play

Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #96
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
Definitely watching this as I might need to do it one day....
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #97
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Chose not to add grease- Eric thinks its a "customer trick" so they don't come back in a week with a tad of leaking water. I don't know.
I use a small amount of Dow Corning 111 lubricant and sealant on the shaft and seals....this seems to help the seals from leaking for a least 1000 miles Its the same stuff BMW sells at 1/10th the cost.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #98
ericsbr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I use a small amount of Dow Corning 111 lubricant and sealant on the shaft and seals....this seems to help the seals from leaking for a least 1000 miles Its the same stuff BMW sells at 1/10th the cost.
what divimon meant was i did not "pack" the whole area between the seals. this middle area is designed to let any leakage (water or oil) vent out instead of contaminating the other fluid.

i did use some silicone grease (similar to dow 111) on the seals and shaft when i assembled the water pump.
ericsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #99
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbr View Post
what divimon meant was i did not "pack" the whole area between the seals. this middle area is designed to let any leakage (water or oil) vent out instead of contaminating the other fluid.

i did use some silicone grease (similar to dow 111) on the seals and shaft when i assembled the water pump.
I understand....packing grease between the seals is not a good idea
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #100
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Transmission

Oh, I didn't realize people were actually watching this thread. Crap, now I have to make it half-way usable. No worries. Everything I said was true up till now and from this point on, I'll try to be clearer in my writing which usually is pretty short. Eric will clarify and add to my documentary.

The cool thing was we didn't need a heck of a lot of special tools for this job. The bearing puller was key of course, and the valve tool to release pressure on the springs if you're planning on hitting them. We made the rest.

Next that made sense was filling in that side of the case with the transmission levers. (Shifter)

Now with two sets of gears and the shifter drum.

I think Eric checked the shifting operation 200 times before buttoning it up. Smart. You need to put a little drag pressure on the output shaft to really make it work well out of the case like this.

Another tip which is stating the obvious, but which I never follow, is take a million pictures of it coming apart- at all angles. Never ceases to amaze me how many head scratches ya have even with a Haynes and a BMW manual. "uh which way did this go on?"

Gasket on (case)

The table we worked on (my $15 UVM surplus AV cart) was perfect height and size. It rolled too. Throw some cardboard on it and we had a bar-height Rotax Repair station.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #101
Spyker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post

Another tip which is stating the obvious, but which I never follow, is take a million pictures of it coming apart- at all angles. Never ceases to amaze me how many head scratches ya have even with a Haynes and a BMW manual. "uh which way did this go on?"
Definitely. When I rebuilt my Dakar I took very few photos. Trying to figure out how to route the wiring harnass and all the cables was a fun job I do not want to repeat. Had I taken more photos it would not have been an issue!
Spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #102
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

I've also had a couple "did I put that together right" afterthoughts, so install pics can help rest at night. We had that on the clutch plate arrangement on this bike.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #103
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Button up case halves

After the 200 cycles thru the gears, we put the case halves together. Did not use any oil on the gasket.

On the top (which is the left side of the bike/engine) you can see protruding the crankshaft (lower timing gear goes on) along with the trans input shaft (clutch goes on) and the shifter shaft.

Now the cylinder base gasket and Eric getting the piston ready to be installed in the piston popper inn'r device.

Quick check on the ring gap

Getting popped in

Voila:

Checking the pin and clips. Make sure these are in properly. Good to check everything three times or four.

Sliding the cylinder on

divimon2000 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:47 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #104
20Fingers
MCarrera GS-Giants

Oddometer: 134
Way Cool Updates!

Things look like they are coming together pretty good and the pics of this build are way cool, thanks for posting the excellent details of the rebuild.

Watching the weather patterns with feverish intensity while waiting to get on the road again. It was great when the temps stayed below freezing because I could get out for short commute rides to work...coldest was 10F.

Since I live down a dirt road which the city cleverly scraped and salted with each storm, I don't want that muck on my new bike; zinc n salt are cruel to metal! When it dries out I am hitting the pavement!

Looking at an early spring trip over to see you guys, ADV-G, and the 650-Rotax being rebuilt...do you have any dates in mind for "clutch-Out" on it?...I can't wait to hear the Thumper again and maybe even get to twist its throttle once or twice...willing to swap rides on my new bike, too!

Keep the pics and text coming!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #105
divimon2000 OP
Studly Adventurer

Sorry Mark

Its done! Been done for a while, I'm just posting as I have time.
But we're planning the Gaspe trip in Sept and a Maine jaunt in June. Will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Fingers View Post
Things look like they are coming together pretty good and the pics of this build are way cool, thanks for posting the excellent details of the rebuild.

Watching the weather patterns with feverish intensity while waiting to get on the road again. It was great when the temps stayed below freezing because I could get out for short commute rides to work...coldest was 10F.

Since I live down a dirt road which the city cleverly scraped and salted with each storm, I don't want that muck on my new bike; zinc n salt are cruel to metal! When it dries out I am hitting the pavement!

Looking at an early spring trip over to see you guys, ADV-G, and the 650-Rotax being rebuilt...do you have any dates in mind for "clutch-Out" on it?...I can't wait to hear the Thumper again and maybe even get to twist its throttle once or twice...willing to swap rides on my new bike, too!

Keep the pics and text coming!