User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 352
Have GoPro, need info.

I am leaving for South Africa TOMORROW, and my dumb ass waited until yesterday to buy a GoPro and figure out what I need for it...We're going to be riding a couple of GS650's. Best way to mount the camera on the bike? Handlebar mount or something else? Any suggestions on the best way to mount the camera on my helmet? Going to make a run to best buy later for some accessories...thanks for the help. Don't know if matters but I have the 3rd Gen.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
ngads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cool2 cutting it close huh? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
I am leaving for South Africa TOMORROW, and my dumb ass waited until yesterday to buy a GoPro and figure out what I need for it...We're going to be riding a couple of GS650's. Best way to mount the camera on the bike? Handlebar mount or something else? Any suggestions on the best way to mount the camera on my helmet? Going to make a run to best buy later for some accessories...thanks for the help. Don't know if matters but I have the 3rd Gen.
tomorrow huh...oh man you don't have much time at all.

Which mounts do you have? If you wanted to mount the cam on the bike, i would say handlebar mount, but it is shaky. If you could somehow get parts shipped to you on the road, check out R.A.M. Mounts (search for gopro). These mounts are great for mounting on your handlebar in many different positions.

Another option you could try, you might want to test it, but you could stick the suction up mount to your fairing (make sure you clean it first). Again tho, never rode an sv so i don't know if your vid will be shaky.

If you have the chesty mount, that is a good option and offers a decent view. (sometimes it is a bit low and you don't see much of the road tho)

On the helmet, use the curved sticky mount, and if you can mount it to the chin of your helmet, this provides probably the best view of your bike and the road ahead. (I just tested it this weekend and the view is great) Also, you don't even notice it.

Unfortunately I am at work and can't show you any pics of the mount, but u can google them to give u a better idea.

ngads screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 11:43 AM
ngads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
COride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
The camera comes with a slightly curved stick-on attachement for your helmet. You can side mount or stick it on top. Doesn't look like you have time to buy the chest harness which is convient and shows your bars and speedo/tach which some people like. Did you get Hero3 Black?

Enjoy your trip -
COride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
I'm not sure what you have for sporting goods stores in your area, but around here, Dick's, Scheels, and Cabellas are all carrying gopro accessories.

Here's a video from a local ORV park

http://youtu.be/CmFUmsxio54

The first part of the video is from my helmet mount. I switch to the Chesty at 8:27. It give a great angle while sitting - but like other say, it points down while standing.

If you are staying on pavement, mounting to the bike is fine. But, if you go off road, it's much too jarring for good video.

I generally mount on the chin of my helmet too. Unfortunately, there are ribs on the chin of my MX helmet, so I had to move the mount back. That's why you get to see a floating head in that video.

gravityisnotmyfriend screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 11:57 AM
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

I have a Dick's and Academy as well as a Best Buy a few miles away so I will troll through there after work. Best Buy says they have the chest rig so I will probably get one of those. All I really care about in addition is the helmet so I will get that set up. Should be an epic trip...if I survive I will post a full RR here on ADV!

Any other suggestions please post...I have a lot of different stores here so I may can pick up some other stuff.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
IronHeart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
extra batteries

You are going to need extra batteries and a charger for sure. My gopro gets about an hour of record time before the battery runs out (thats on a good day). They have wasabi batteries (2 count) and the charger for 25 dollars on amazon. And it comes with a car charger as well. Not sure you can get that in any stores though.
IronHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
All bigger shopping malls have photo shops which carry the Gopro range, so you can always get parts here as well.
Most bike dealers also sell Gopro's.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
COride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeart View Post
You are going to need extra batteries and a charger for sure. My gopro gets about an hour of record time before the battery runs out (thats on a good day). They have wasabi batteries (2 count) and the charger for 25 dollars on amazon. And it comes with a car charger as well. Not sure you can get that in any stores though.

+1 - forgot about that.

Memory cards? 32GB level 10 (fastest ones)
COride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
panzer
team schweinhund

Oddometer: 147
Go-Pro

I'd go with the helmet mount, your whole body acts as a shock absorber/stabilizer plus the camera gets aimed at what you look at. I've used this set up with great results,
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'd go with the helmet mount for sure. The first time I used mine was offroad and I mounted it to the top of the triple clamp looking up over the number plate of my bike and even riding on gravel roads was pretty shakey. It might do ok on asphalt but if it doesn't you wont know until youve already wasted a bunch of time recording and uploading the video to find out.

Mounted behind the number plate:
http://youtu.be/ozH0yMQXRPc

Mounted on my helmet:
http://youtu.be/4FFt3viBtEE
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post

Best I have found is to mount on helmet. I could not get the shake out of it on bars... those roads are washboards.. Have a great time..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,727
search youtube for mounting ideas. i just switched from helmet to handlebars and I think I like the bar view better

5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,727
bar mount.......

5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,950
sounds like you haven't used one - the menu's are crap for a first time user - print out the menu diagram from the manual and take it with you
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Alright i got all my crap lined up just cant figure out how to get my phone to log into the wireless. Ill figure that out on the other side. Stayed up all night tonight to avoid jet frag on the other side, we'll see how that works. Wish me luck
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapa