User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Perscription Glasses

How do you guys get your glasses on the cheap?
I have been looking online, but I can't buy glasses without trying them on. It is much cheaper to buy online though.

Looking for regular and sunglasses. I have my prescription.

My sister is in optometrist school, but wont graduate for a year :(.

I currently have metal frame glasses, I do wear contacts and find plastic sunglasses are much more comfortable.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Lucifer Orange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Find frames you like in a store, then buy them online. Take a picture of the mode/size number inside the temple for reference. Most independent optometrist shops will then fit lenses to the frames. Places like Lenscrafter won't do it because they want to sell you overpriced frames.

Frames are ridiculously marked up in stores and can be bought for less than half through online sources.

If you buy trendy frames and change frames often, and keep them in good condition, you may also be surprised what your used ones are worth on ebay.
Lucifer Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Last few years I have been buying my glasses on line. Zennioptical.com. I'm hard on my eye wear and frequently drop, bend, and break my glasses. These are ridiculously cheap. I usually buy 3-4 sets at a time.

I did buy a set of riding glasses from riderseye.com. So-so. They are a little bulky and don't sit well depending what helmet i wear and the automatic darkening option isn't as pronounced as I would have expected. Still, a good way to blow the remaining dollars in my health savings account for the year end.

VAC
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
Last few years I have been buying my glasses on line. Zennioptical.com. I'm hard on my eye wear and frequently drop, bend, and break my glasses. These are ridiculously cheap. I usually buy 3-4 sets at a time.

I did buy a set of riding glasses from riderseye.com. So-so. They are a little bulky and don't sit well depending what helmet i wear and the automatic darkening option isn't as pronounced as I would have expected. Still, a good way to blow the remaining dollars in my health savings account for the year end.

VAC
i started using costco for glasses on the recommendation of a friend. 40 dollar visit and the glasses are "inexpensive", though not nearly as cheap as you can order online. I pulled the trigger on the costco glasses vs. online because I wanted to be able to go back for adjustments, etc. Apparently I have a strange shaped head as all my glasses have to be bent :P
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
MaestroPNW
Me!

Oddometer: 81
The only frames that survive me sticking them inside the helmet are titanium. They're not cheap, by definition.
Glasses are one of the few things I don't feel like going cheap on, granted I wear them constantly. No contacts for me, unfortunately.

For sunglasses (fit overs, actually), on a contrary, I use a Solar Shield brand. $20 bucks, not bad lens, polarized, fit (me) well, and can be found in most chain stores - perfectly disposable :) At any given point I probably have 4 or 5 pairs.
Then again, I don't wear them with a helmet - I use a tinted shield.
MaestroPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
Zennioptical.com

Super cheap and fast delivery.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Orange View Post
Find frames you like in a store, then buy them online. Take a picture of the mode/size number inside the temple for reference. Most independent optometrist shops will then fit lenses to the frames. Places like Lenscrafter won't do it because they want to sell you overpriced frames.

Frames are ridiculously marked up in stores and can be bought for less than half through online sources.

If you buy trendy frames and change frames often, and keep them in good condition, you may also be surprised what your used ones are worth on ebay.

This is good advice, right up until the time you need to talk to someone, or visit a brick and mortor store . . . . . only to find it's gone.

there are costs associatedc with everything . . . loosing the ability to access the knoweldge someone has may have no value to you, and that's your call . . . .

There are some things that need input for a pro . . . .

YMMV, of course.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,473
Im trying for the 1st time tri focals. Crizal Lens, HD, yada yada......
Im am struggling to adapt to them. Distortion. My 1st time wearing glasses as I was tired of being out of focus with distance. But even though distance is clear now, it just weird. Not sure I can make this work. I spent a small fortune too. Frikin, $20 1.25 readers were easier for distance. Just hate changing glasses all the time.
Im at my wits end

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,321
It CAN be daunting, Pilot . . you owe it to yourself (and those around you) to keep on with it though . . . . seeing clearly is such a great reward . . . wait amonth or so, when the yound ladies are out and about in sundresses and the like. . .. you'll forget all about the trouble . . .
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,346
http://www.hidalgos.com/

Have them send you a printed catalog. The eyeglass frames are pictured actual size so you can compare to glasses you already have. Handy when placing the bi-focal line. The catalog is worth reading, even if you don't order, as they offer a lot of excellent information about lenses/glasses that is good to know.

For riding I use safety glasses with side shields that I order on-line as well.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,918
www.firmoo.com I usually pay $8-16 for a set of single prescription glasses. Add $4 for prescription sunglasses. My last set were titanium, and work great!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Pilot, do give them some time. They killed me when I first got, them but now it is great. I just put them on and can see distance, read, go out in the sun all with out changing glasses or carrying an extra tinted clip on.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 843
I am a Zenni Optical customer as well. It takes two weeks from order until delivery.

FWIW:
OS - oculus sinister (left eye)
OD - oculus dexter (right eye)
PD - pupilary distance (distance between pupils)

The diopter (magnification) can be modified slightly from the prescription if you know the lingo. I think my last pair were $20.00 shipped (single vision). If (or when?) I need bi or tri-focals they will likely be purchased locally so they can be returned.

Some (most?) local optical stores have staff who know little about glasses - but you are paying for them to show you frames and such. Contact lenses are different and online companies won't just sell them without a recent valid prescription. YMMV.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 712
I recently went back to glasses because of old Lasik and older eyes. I wanted the Flexon frames I used to use pre-Lasik. The best overall package for me came from Eyeglasses.com. The customer service was very good.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,473
Ok i will tough it out. Thanks for advise fellas.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote