ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #6796
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,109
You are welcome to take a spin on my KLR 650 sometime as well.
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #6797
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
You are welcome to take a spin on my KLR 650 sometime as well.

Since you've had both, Did your KLR250 actually feel lighter than the KLR650. I've been thinking of trading it for something smaller (under 400cc), but I'm not sure it's worth it. I might just add a rekluse and keep it.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #6798
Jon
Adventurer
 
Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Akron, OH
Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Since you've had both, Did your KLR250 actually feel lighter than the KLR650. I've been thinking of trading it for something smaller (under 400cc), but I'm not sure it's worth it. I might just add a rekluse and keep it.
Honestly I think the F800 feels lighter than the KLR! Not bashing since I actually had a KLR for 4 years but just my opinion. I am sure Matt will agree though that the KLR/ KLX 250 feels like a feather compared to the KLR650 offroad. Swing over sometime soon and try one of the 250's and see what you think.

Just thought of something else.... Don't you have a 450 BMW too?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #6799
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Since you've had both, Did your KLR250 actually feel lighter than the KLR650. I've been thinking of trading it for something smaller (under 400cc), but I'm not sure it's worth it. I might just add a rekluse and keep it.
Oh heavens yes. The 250 felt like a mini bike when I jumped on it off the 650. That 100+ pounds is noticeable, also, the 250 felt like a slug when I switched back and forth. The difference is not as noticable with the WRR, because of the higher seat height and the extra 10hp over the KLR 250.

That said, the KLR 250 is a great bike and I would recommend it to anyone. Mine could not be killed, started easy (yeah, it kicked, but I could start it with my hand), got 70mpg, was stupid cheap, and it rode just fine. My only real bitch about it was when I stalled on hills and had to kick it in an awkward position, but otherwise, I used to hang with Meef and Alan on their WRR's with it, granted, I had to work my ass off to do it.
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #6800
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous
 
steveb126's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Wooster,OH
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
You are welcome to take a spin on my KLR 650 sometime as well.
Thanks, I like the KLR650 but there are just too heavy. I may eventually consider one to replace the Wee. I dig the looks of the one Thomas rides. A friend bought a new one last year.
__________________
I may not be much, but I'm all I think about.
Wee & Wingabago Wanderings
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #6801
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,109
I agree about the 08+ KLR, they look pretty smooth.
__________________
My ambition far exceeds my talent

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #6802
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Honestly I think the F800 feels lighter than the KLR! Not bashing since I actually had a KLR for 4 years but just my opinion. I am sure Matt will agree though that the KLR/ KLX 250 feels like a feather compared to the KLR650 offroad. Swing over sometime soon and try one of the 250's and see what you think.

Just thought of something else.... Don't you have a 450 BMW too?
I might stop over and check one out. How many do you have?

The reason for wanting a smaller bike is that the group I usually go with are on an XR250, DR350, and WR250R. Yes, I still have a BMW 450, but anymore, the rides seem to involve a good bit of road. The 450 is awful as a road bike. If you thought the F800 had a bad seat, try the 450. I usually end up taking the F800. I'm usually OK, but I do tire out quicker on it than the 450 for sure.

The KLR has been sitting a lot since I got the 800. I like the 800 a lot better offroad than the KLR even though I think the KLR is easier to pick up, so I'm not sure what I want to do about the KLR. I've got it set up perfect, and I'm thinking/hoping a lot of the stuff I've done to the 650 can be moved to a 250.

I just want to try and do whatever I'm going to do before riding season starts in full, and the KLR sits again. I only put about 300 miles on the KLR last year.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #6803
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Oh heavens yes. The 250 felt like a mini bike when I jumped on it off the 650. That 100+ pounds is noticeable, also, the 250 felt like a slug when I switched back and forth. The difference is not as noticable with the WRR, because of the higher seat height and the extra 10hp over the KLR 250.

That said, the KLR 250 is a great bike and I would recommend it to anyone. Mine could not be killed, started easy (yeah, it kicked, but I could start it with my hand), got 70mpg, was stupid cheap, and it rode just fine. My only real bitch about it was when I stalled on hills and had to kick it in an awkward position, but otherwise, I used to hang with Meef and Alan on their WRR's with it, granted, I had to work my ass off to do it.
The lack of HP is what I think I'm going to miss the most. I don't really do that much hard core stuff on the KLR anyway. That's what the 450 is for, but man does the seat kill me on the road part. I might end up drinking the WR koolaid.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #6804
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe
 
OhioPT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbiana County, OH
Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
The lack of HP is what I think I'm going to miss the most. I don't really do that much hard core stuff on the KLR anyway. That's what the 450 is for, but man does the seat kill me on the road part. I might end up drinking the WR koolaid.
You'd get rid of a bike just because of a seat? That's crazy talk. Send it to this guy: http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html Three close friends had him make over the seats on their enduros (2 Husabergs and 1 GasGas 300) and they are very happy now. I've seen their seats in person and rode one of them, and the quality is excellent.
__________________
Mark
'11 KTM 250 XC (dual sported)
'05 KTM 450 EXC (dual sported)
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #6805
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
You'd get rid of a bike just because of a seat? That's crazy talk. Send it to this guy: http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html Three close friends had him make over the seats on their enduros (2 Husabergs and 1 GasGas 300) and they are very happy now. I've seen their seats in person and rode one of them, and the quality is excellent.
Get rid of the 450? What gave you that idea? The KLR is the one whose future is uncertain. The 450 is staying for sure. I just trailer it if I'm going more than about 20 miles to the dirt. I'll check the link, but I suspect not having a seat pan will mean he won't be able to do anything.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #6806
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe
 
OhioPT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbiana County, OH
Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Get rid of the 450? What gave you that idea? The KLR is the one whose future is uncertain. The 450 is staying for sure. I just trailer it if I'm going more than about 20 miles to the dirt. I'll check the link, but I suspect not having a seat pan will mean he won't be able to do anything.
You send him your seat, he overhauls it and sends it back...
__________________
Mark
'11 KTM 250 XC (dual sported)
'05 KTM 450 EXC (dual sported)
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #6807
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 4,906
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863928
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #6808
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
You send him your seat, he overhauls it and sends it back...
Just heard back... No go on the G450X seat for now. He said he's going to see if he can find one locally to experiment on. Thanks for the link though.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #6809
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,321
Took the wife to the Akron Art Museum.tonight to see the Bikeriders exhibit and Easy Rider.
Both were well worth the trip, on Thursdays the museum is free.
Not matter how many times I have seen that movie it is always heavy.
The last time we saw it was on our honeymoon in Antigua, Guatemala in 1990.
Been a spell.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #6810
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
rxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: N Ridgeville OH
Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Just heard back... No go on the G450X seat for now. He said he's going to see if he can find one locally to experiment on. Thanks for the link though.
I sent an email to James Renazco to see what he could do. I had a Renazco seat on my 400 RXC and loved it. Here is his response:

Hi Jonathan,

The 450X is brutal, I've done several of those seats but only using the Speedbrain seat pan which I understand is no longer available.
No seat pan on the stock seat means we have nothing to staple onto.

Best bet is find out if a Speedbrain pan can be bought and we can build off that.

Best regards,

Renazco Racing
Dual-Sport Seats: www.renazco.com - (707) 526-1282
Parts, Accessories and Apparel: www.renazcoracing.com - (707) 902-DIRT
__________________
'95+'95+'96 BMW R1100RS/RSL
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA

rxcrider screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 08:40 PM
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014