Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #61
motobiko OP
biko I rido

Oddometer: 56
Day 37 8/12/12 14450 miles on the odometer. Paradise at last.

I managed to sleep a little bit through the humidity of the tropical night. Sunday morning started sunny and bright out. I walked around the campground for a while, looking for a beach to go to a dip in, but the shoreline around the campground proved to be jagged and rocky. Decided to try and go swimming later on in the day. The campground had a outdoor lounge area witha tv in it, so i watched some Olympic highlights for a couple hours while sitting in the shade of the palm trees. Later in the morning, i cleaned out my tent and packed everything up and went back into town. I hadnt been to church for a while, so i went to one of the larger Baptist churches in town. The service was good, and i visited with the pastor a little bit afterwards. His name was Ozzy, and he had several Kawi Vulcans back at his main residence back by Miami. He seemed pretty cool.

I went through town a while to see things in the daylight, ate some fried oysters at the Eat It Raw Halfshell Bar and grill. Expensive, but they tasted good. I parked my bike in a line of scooters, seems like everyone has a scooter there. The interior of the restraurant was decorated with license plates from states all over the union. Only found 2 ND plates, but saw 4 or 5 MT plates. I took a few pics of the license plates after i got done eating, around 2pm. went to get on the bike to take off when a man sitting on the bench outside asked me about my bike. It must have stuck out a little bit in the row of scooters. I told him i was from MT and touring the states. He was a bartender, maybe 50, taking it easy on a sunday afternoon smoking a big ol' cigar in the shade. Still loving Key West after living 12 years. I think he was from New York originally, moved down here and sold most of his stuff. Didnt have a car either, he rode his bicycle everywhere. Then once a year he flew to Vegas for a week. If that isnt the most laid back life i have ever seen anyone live in the US! Talk about the easylife. And from talking to him, he really sounded like he enjoyed it.

I could very well call this the lonely ride, based on the limited human interaction so far. So many miles, so few people. Which makes it all the more refreshing to stop and talk to random people. I dont mind it at all. I talked to the bartender for over an hour about key west and just life in general. When I told him i had just gotten into town last night and was heading out this afternoon, he couldnt believe it. Told me i should stay for a couple days. I responded that if i stayed everywhere i went for a few days, i would be on the road for over a year. Not that i wouldnt enjoy it, but not what i had planned for this trip. Maybe another time. Said goodbye and went over to one of the beaches to take my first ocean dip since Prudhoe Bay. The water was really warm, the air was in the upper 80s, and the sun was shining. Perfect day for being in the water. The water was shallow enough so i could walk out about 200 yards away from shore. Spent about 3 hours there in the beach and in the water. Watched the olympics a little on the tv in the beach bar and grill. When i went to leave, there was a hen and 3 chicks running around the parking lot. Nobody was claiming them, so i would assume they were just out on their own. With the always warm climate and few natural predators, key west was paradise for them too. I left Key West around 6pm or so. Saw a beautiful sunset over the water as i was riding down the keys highway. Just spectacular. Only made it to Homestead this evening. I found a $40 motel room, that wasnt the best, but was more comfortable than the ground. My 7th paid room for the trip so far. And about 33% cheaper than my key west tentsite!

My $61 campsite.

Paradise.

Lunch.

Interior decor.

All the way south.

Signpost mania.

the beach.

The end is near.

Hardly time.

Chickens!

Gulf sunset!

155 miles today.