Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #211
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
I used to be a Harley tech... so I can answer some of the service questions.

Valve adjustments stopped in 1984 / 1985. Shovelheads had hydraulic lifters, but adjustable pushrods, so you had to adjust the valves every 5,000-ish miles. Shovelheads ended in 1984/5 depending on the model. Ironhead sportsters had solid lifters and solid pushrods, so they erquired valve adjustments every 1,000 to 2,000 miles. 1985 was the last year for the Ironhead sportster.

The Evo motor came out in 1984 for some models and and in 1986 for the Sportster. Evos are basically no maintinance other than oil and filter changes. Evos were 1984-1999.

Twin Cams came out in 1999, and are also very little maintinance. Some wear out cam chain tensioners, so you should check yours every 20,000 miles. This is an easy job, less than 1 hr. Early (1999-2000) Twin Cams had a cam bearing recall, but these should all be fixed by now. In my opinion, the 88'' is the best Twin Cam. The bigger ones tend to have overheating issues in really hot weather, and that can get expensive.

Belt drive came out as early as 1978 on some special edition Shovelheads and in 1991 on sportsters. A well maintained belt should easily last 50,000 miles. Checking belt adjustment takes about 10 seconds and wiping it clean once a week takes about 2 minutes.

On some models, specifically the FXR series and some swingarm based touring bikes replacing the belt is a HUGE job. You neet to remove the entire swingarm and the inner+outer primary (including primary drive and clutch). On these models the swingarm pivot shaft is what mounts the rear of the transmission, so that usually need to be un-bolted too, in order to align everything for re-assembly. This will take an experienced harley mechanic 2-ish hours. If you have never done it before, its a weekend project with a buddy helping.

Belts only needs to be done every 50,000 miles though!! Thats a lot of riding time. Think about it, at that point it doesnt hurt to open up your primary to check your clutch and primary chain and to inspect your wheel bearings and swingarm pivot while its off. I fall under the 'better safe than sorry' mindset... so even if I didnt need to take all these things apart to replace the belt I would WANT to inspect them anyway. It only takes ONE unexpected part failure to do serious damage to you and your bike... ride safe and dont skimp on maintinance.

My favorite low maintinance Harley are the 1986-1999 Evos. They are rock solid bikes with great build quality. 1986 was the first year that all the big twins got the new style ball and ramp clutch setup and new style 5 speed tranny. Both are big improvememts... the pre 1985 5 speeds and 4 speeds were one of the main causes of the 'Harleys leak' reputation. These older (1985 and older) trannies almost always got BAD mainshaft seal leaks, which requires the whole primary to be taken off to fix. Plus, a nice 1986-1999 Evo Harley can be had for a fraction of the price of a Twin Cam... and give you just as many (if not more) trouble fre miles as a Twin Cam.

For ultimate low maintinance, get a 1986-2003 sportster. They are 'unit construction', so the primary and tranny fluid is all one, so its one less fluid change. Plus, they do not have seperate trannys or primary drives to leak (but this isnt really a problem on 1986 and newer Harleys anyway).

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 06:56 AM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #212
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
OK I NEED to see this victory vs duck ride... classic.

Some people are just totally full of shit.

My road king is nowhere near the performance bike a victory is. But its a far superior cruiser. Thank god I was shopping for a touring cruiser. I found the best one I could imagine.

The cross roads vic I road felt like a REALLY nice Honda shadow. That's not a compliment. It seems like their engineers spend a lot of time developing anti HD qualities.

No shit one drain bolt? Was I having a hard time with three? Seriously?

A belt change that saves me two hours out of every 3-5 years? Did they Google harley maintenance complaints, write a brochure, then demand a bike to match from engineering? Who cares about those two hours really.

Trying to hustle a heavy touring cruiser is dumb. Don't try to race me. Squid.

You're cute.... I love the name calling.

It's never about the bike but the skill of the rider... There are a lot of unskillful riders out there, a lot of them own sports bikes or HDs. They are easy targets on any Victory in skilled hands.

But if one wants a big twin American cruiser that actually handles well, has power out of the box, cost less to own, requires less to maintain, and was actually engineered in this century, HD isn't the manufacture to buy from. Before I bought my American cruiser, I test road both HD and Vic. The HD was so incredible unimpressive, it makes me wonder how HD is still in business. I guess as more younger bikers enter the cruiser arena, that HD is shedding market share like it means too. Hiding behind "heritage" and "tradition" is a shitty excuse to design and build sub par products.

The best bike to roll out of HD in a few decades is the V-Rod, and that power plant is German.

There is nothing wrong with hustling a heavy cruiser, I do it all it the time, the Vision was built for it, but I also have the skill for it. Sounds like you Road King handles like a school bus... I'll pass, I don't like making 4 point turns around sweeping corners.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #213
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,168

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #214
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
I used to be a Harley tech... so I can answer some of the service questions.

Valve adjustments stopped in 1984 / 1985. Shovelheads had hydraulic lifters, but adjustable pushrods, so you had to adjust the valves every 5,000-ish miles. Shovelheads ended in 1984/5 depending on the model. Ironhead sportsters had solid lifters and solid pushrods, so they erquired valve adjustments every 1,000 to 2,000 miles. 1985 was the last year for the Ironhead sportster.

The Evo motor came out in 1984 for some models and and in 1986 for the Sportster. Evos are basically no maintinance other than oil and filter changes. Evos were 1984-1999.

Twin Cams came out in 1999, and are also very little maintinance. Some wear out cam chain tensioners, so you should check yours every 20,000 miles. This is an easy job, less than 1 hr. Early (1999-2000) Twin Cams had a cam bearing recall, but these should all be fixed by now. In my opinion, the 88'' is the best Twin Cam. The bigger ones tend to have overheating issues in really hot weather, and that can get expensive.

Belt drive came out as early as 1978 on some special edition Shovelheads and in 1991 on sportsters. A well maintained belt should easily last 50,000 miles. Checking belt adjustment takes about 10 seconds and wiping it clean once a week takes about 2 minutes.

On some models, specifically the FXR series and some swingarm based touring bikes replacing the belt is a HUGE job. You neet to remove the entire swingarm and the inner+outer primary (including primary drive and clutch). On these models the swingarm pivot shaft is what mounts the rear of the transmission, so that usually need to be un-bolted too, in order to align everything for re-assembly. This will take an experienced harley mechanic 2-ish hours. If you have never done it before, its a weekend project with a buddy helping.

Belts only needs to be done every 50,000 miles though!! Thats a lot of riding time. Think about it, at that point it doesnt hurt to open up your primary to check your clutch and primary chain and to inspect your wheel bearings and swingarm pivot while its off. I fall under the 'better safe than sorry' mindset... so even if I didnt need to take all these things apart to replace the belt I would WANT to inspect them anyway. It only takes ONE unexpected part failure to do serious damage to you and your bike... ride safe and dont skimp on maintinance.

My favorite low maintinance Harley are the 1986-1999 Evos. They are rock solid bikes with great build quality. 1986 was the first year that all the big twins got the new style ball and ramp clutch setup and new style 5 speed tranny. Both are big improvememts... the pre 1985 5 speeds and 4 speeds were one of the main causes of the 'Harleys leak' reputation. These older (1985 and older) trannies almost always got BAD mainshaft seal leaks, which requires the whole primary to be taken off to fix. Plus, a nice 1986-1999 Evo Harley can be had for a fraction of the price of a Twin Cam... and give you just as many (if not more) trouble fre miles as a Twin Cam.

For ultimate low maintinance, get a 1986-2003 sportster. They are 'unit construction', so the primary and tranny fluid is all one, so its one less fluid change. Plus, they do not have seperate trannys or primary drives to leak (but this isnt really a problem on 1986 and newer Harleys anyway).
Glad to hear someone besides me likes EVOs. I think the 80 c.i. EVO is the best Harley engine ever. And this is a Harley thread, or at least a cruiser thread. No Ducati rider is going to have any interest in a Harley, Victory, or any other cruiser. Two completely different things. Not that one is better than the other, just different. Way different.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #215
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
You're cute.... I love the name calling.

It's never about the bike but the skill of the rider... There are a lot of unskillful riders out there, a lot of them own sports bikes or HDs. They are easy targets on any Victory in skilled hands.

But if one wants a big twin American cruiser that actually handles well, has power out of the box, cost less to own, requires less to maintain, and was actually engineered in this century, HD isn't the manufacture to buy from. Before I bought my American cruiser, I test road both HD and Vic. The HD was so incredible unimpressive, it makes me wonder how HD is still in business. I guess as more younger bikers enter the cruiser arena, that HD is shedding market share like it means too. Hiding behind "heritage" and "tradition" is a shitty excuse to design and build sub par products.

The best bike to roll out of HD in a few decades is the V-Rod, and that power plant is German.

There is nothing wrong with hustling a heavy cruiser, I do it all it the time, the Vision was built for it, but I also have the skill for it. Sounds like you Road King handles like a school bus... I'll pass, I don't like making 4 point turns around sweeping corners.
Hahahahahhahaha!

Wow. Whatevs, dood. Chill out. You don't like Harley. Don't buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Glad to hear someone besides me likes EVOs. I think the 80 c.i. EVO is the best Harley engine ever. And this is a Harley thread, or at least a cruiser thread. No Ducati rider is going to have any interest in a Harley, Victory, or any other cruiser. Two completely different things. Not that one is better than the other, just different. Way different.
Yep. I have an older neighbor with an 89 Electra Glide Sport. The one with the windshield, not a fairing. Gorgeous bike. I'm just waiting on him to finally sell it, lol.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #216
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
No Ducati rider is going to have any interest in a Harley, Victory, or any other cruiser. Two completely different things. Not that one is better than the other, just different. Way different.
Oh I'll disagree with that. I've got a Harley Road King myself. But the Ducati Diavel is one of the most interesting modern made bike I've sat on. I'd be very interested in spending some saddle time on one. That seems like it might be quite the touring machine.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #217
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Oh I'll disagree with that. I've got a Harley Road King myself. But the Ducati Diavel is one of the most interesting modern made bike I've sat on. I'd be very interested in spending some saddle time on one. That seems like it might be quite the touring machine.
Only issue I see with that if you really want to tour a Dival is fuel capacity. They spec it at 17l or 4.5 gallons which in my experience with Ducati means you'd run dry at less than 4 gallons used. Knowing how hard it is to ride a bike like that without pinning the throttle I'd be lucky to get 120 between fuel stops.
Your road king can probabaly do 200+ without sweating...
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #218
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
I'm too lazy to go back and get all your Harley bashing quotes. It's always entertaining when somebody buys a non Harley cruiser and then tries to convince everyone else (and themselves) in post after post that their bike is better than the Harley because blah blah blah....... Guess what, we really dont care why you bought whatever bike you bought. Enjoy your motorcycle.
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #219
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Bad logic with a Victory. The mills are virtually bullet proof, and 24K miles is nothing, there are several Vic out there at 100K plus no problems with a few pushing 200K.

To do the cams, just the cam gear cover and valve covers are removed. You are not actually opening the engine. Stage three is a big bore kit, that's more invasive. That's where I would draw the line. But a stage 2 would be a welcomed addition. It really wakes the motor up without compromising long term reliability and longevity. If it were not for the EPA, the stage two would be how the bikes come from the factory.
He wasn't asking about a Victory, he was asking about a HD
and I wouldn't buy a Victory with a stage 2 that I didn't know who did the work either bullet proof or not. Too many cam profiles out there that I have zero interest in. It could also void the factory warranty depending on what brand and who did it.
Totally not worth it IMO
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #220
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Bring it... We have roads out here that make the tail of the dragon look straight. I would be happy to school you folks on how to ride a bike through the twisties, and I will do it with the cruse set, the music blaring, and sucking on a star bucks macchiato.

Yes... Them are fightin words.
This is the dumbest post I've read all month.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #221
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,370
This thread is getting stupid in a hurry, but it's fun to watch

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #222
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Bring it... We have roads out here that make the tail of the dragon look straight. I would be happy to school you folks on how to ride a bike through the twisties, and I will do it with the cruse set, the music blaring, and sucking on a star bucks macchiato.
I would actually pay to see that

Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #223
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Somebody PLEASE show up with a Ducati (especially if your other ride is a horse) and a helmet cam. Please.
studad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #224
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,490
I think Harleys are fine bikes. I don't want one, but its because I don't like the seating position/style. I much prefer my BMW's. If Harley build a bike that had a riding position like my BMW's and similar performance I'd give it a look. But they don't.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #225
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I think Harleys are fine bikes. I don't want one, but its because I don't like the seating position/style. I much prefer my BMW's. If Harley build a bike that had a riding position like my BMW's and similar performance I'd give it a look. But they don't.

and 6 cylinders....

Quote: