Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Wow, an adventurer and a photographer!
Jim Motorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Really nice photos, and dang it looks cold on the first couple of days. On one cold day crossing hwy 120 into Yosemite I found the heated grips were keeping the palms warm but the backs of my fingers were freezing. I taped some hand warmers to the backs of my gloves and got some relief...

Looking forward to more.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #33
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Beautiful shots of the coast, I have only made my way as far up as Gold Beach. The ones I have seen so far have been stunning , my plan is to hopefully travel the complete Oregon coast this spring.Thanks, enjoying your adventure.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #34
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,261
awesome pics

but i think I´d do it a little bit warmer

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Great RR , great pics and loving the way you keep us up to date. I rode 101 from the very north end , Powell River/Lund , BC on my 82 R80RT in the mid 90's . I rode 101 all the way to Eureka, CA and at this point the casual riding style vanished as the traffic was fast, pushy, and driving right on my ass. After all the miles to this point of wonderful riding, I turned back N on # 5 until I hit the Columbia then found tiny roads back to BC.' My CA friends told me later, "You were not even close to the fast stuff".

Thanks for such a great RR.
gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #36
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
I left Gold Beach around 9 and headed south. I only had two things I really wanted to see... the Red woods, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Then it was over to my brother's in Roseville (north east of Sacramento)for the night.

Before I even get to the border I'm greeted by this

A perfect goodbye/good morning from the Oregon Coast... one of my favorite area's

Then it was into California.

In California the weather really started to warm up. Got up above the clouds in a couple areas before the Redwoods

then rode on down to

I rode on down to the Trees of Mystery, but didn't go on the tour... 2 miles is a long walk in my suit... but did stop for a shot

then it was onto the Red Wood National Forrest

I rode through the Ave of the Giants, though I didn't stop for pictures. The ride was too much of a blast and I wanted to make it to my brothers before 8. As it was I had to by pass San Fran in order to make that deadline.

I spent Yesterday at my bro's relaxing and was planning on leaving today, however he talked me into stay'n another day and I think I'll be headed out to San Fran for those photos while he's at work.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #37
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 585
Really enjoying the report so far. Since I lived in Portland for 10 years, spent a on of time on those beaches, live in Boise now and owned a 650 (put 30K on her in 3 yrs) before selling last fall and getting an 1150; I recognize a lot of your pictures and can relate to your ride. Yes, the battery posts suck on the 650. It's a known by owners issue and always the first place I went if there were electrical problems. You get good at removing only the center panel on your faux tank.

Can't wait for the next installment.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

So I decided to spend two days at my brothers, neither of which I ended up going to San Fran.* That'll have to wait until next trip, instead, I mailed off excess clothes, and my camping gear.* I haven't been in the mood to camp.* When I camp I like to end the day early, start a fire, and relax.* I just don't feel like shorting the riding that much.* As is, I haven't been covering much ground due to stopping for pictures.* The other thing I found was KOA's (I know not the ONLY place to camp, but nice as many have wifi and showers) are just as expensive as motel 6.*

The extra weight was wighing on my mind too. The bike has fallen over 4 times, and every time it's been to the kickstand side.* as is, when I get off the front tire slides a little more when the handlebars are turned.* Just doesn't seem stable, I know the lean is a well known issue, but didn't think it was THAT big an issue.* With my camping gear and everything I have to really watch to make sure it's not going to topple over. So I shipped off 40lbs of gear... which was everything in my black wolfman bag and my tripod.* Bike seems much happier, guess I just need to learn to pack lighter.

Anyways, yesterday I left Roseville, and headed to Yosemite National Park.* I followed 49 to 120, GREAT riding, lots of twisties, good pavement, little traffic.* The only problem was there were signs saying 120 was closed in Yosemite, with no access to the Valley floor.* I figured as with most detour's they'd have the Detour this way sign.* so I followed 120 looking for them... Nope.* Ended up at the Gate for Yosemite where I was turned around, told to back track 17 miles, and go an extra 45 miles out of the way.* Awesome.* I had left my brothers at 0930 expecting to be at Yosemitie by 1130ish.* I would have made it.* as was with the detour, I didn't arrive until after 1300 (1pm)* The roads were phenominal though... 49 and 140 are amazing.

As I said I arrived in Yosemite at 1300 and started with the pics

it was after 5 when I left Yosemite, and I ended up staying the night in Fresno.* Tried uploading the photos from there, but the internet was insanely slow.
Ebbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #39
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

So, I'm days behind.* Just haven't been feeling like typing out my days as I know they were ending.* It's why I couldn't leave Portland, knowing from there on, I had less time ahead of me than I did behind. That the trip was ending real life had to start again.* Well... that's a half truth.* It also meant saying goodbye to my home and more importantly Family.*

It's funny, growing up I was't the greatest sibling growing up. Fighting, teasing, and just being a spoiled ass.* I guess being the oldest, I wanted to just wanted my distance but due to the fact that 5 years separated me from my baby brother, distance wasn't easy to come by.* As the years pass, I find that I want just the opposite.* I think it's in the fact that every time I see them now, so much has changed.* New jobs, homes, significant others, and interests.* Its killing me having my family grow older and not feeling like I'm a part.

Anyways… enough with the melodramatic, on to the report.

I left Fresno and planned on hitting Tucson.* Because of the extra days spent in Portland and Sacramento, I was worried about a time crunch and decided that I was just gonna slab it.* There wasn't anything in Southern California or Arizona that was a must see (Grand Canyon wasn't on the trip list this time)* The weather was awesome, about 75 the whole way… ended up stripping down to one layer top and bottom under my suit in Palm Springs (80* according to the bank sign) but the wind was a killer.* It caused me to end the day in Phoenix rather than Tucson. Here's the border shot

The next day I got up and rode into Texas.* I had toyed with doing an Iron butt (1000miles in under 24hrs… http://www.ironbutt.com) to Austin where I could stay with some friends, but just wasn't up to it… yet.* I decided on Fort Stockton but settled for Van Horn.* I again slabbed the trip as I was sure it was Saturday and I wanted to have a day to recover in Gulfport, before going back to work.* I did make one detour to Tombstone AZ, but arrived just after the last mock gun fight and didn't wanna kill 30 min waiting for the next.* I had a schedule to keep

For My Buddy Gas Man

The day was much colder than the day before, especially once I hit Texas.* The sun dropped and the speed limit rose to 80.* I had the heated vest on high for the first time since Idaho, and also for the first time I had problems with Aerostich suit.* The velcro on the chest wouldn't keep and so the wind would come in the gap above the chest zipper, freezing me.* I ended up using the RDS (http://www.ridedualsport.com) beanie to insulate where the zipper ends.* Worked like a dream. I got into Van Horn around 2000hr (8pm) and decided to crash out early, so I could start the day early.

I browsed the weather and 31 and Rain/Ice was the forcast all the way to Austin until around 12.* AWESOME... thought I left the ice and cold in the north.
Ebbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #40
Cliff-77
Lost Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Very good,enjoyed ur RR,great pics.too.
IBA#54495 Patriotism is supporting your country all the time,and your government when it deserves it.Mark Twain.
Cliff-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #41
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Nice photos Hell of a route in winter You put in some serious effort on that one, especially w/o the heated grips.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #42
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,159
So, back from the dead thread.

Ebbs, weren't you on TwoWheelFix or something like that? I seem to remember you, me and like four other people were the only ones to ever post. Same Ebbs, right?

Hell, I live in Tucson, if you ever want a staging point to get to the Grand Canyon, hit me up. Maybe I'll load up the bike and go with you.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #43
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

Yeah same guy... I'm in Colorado now... so I may take you up on that offer! I thought you were in South Florida though... or am I confused?

anyways... I think I'm gonna see if I can turn this into a run on thread... multiple trips... just save me some searching.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #44
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

So it just dawned on me that I hadn't completed my trip... at least not in report form... so here it is... over a year over due.

when I last left off I had stopped for the night in Van Horn TX. The ride in was very cold, and fast... 80mph speed limit. I had some issues with the Spot shutting off... even with new batteries, but eventually it worked just fine, though I had a few gaps that appeared as I didn't always watch to make sure the spot was sending/on
I decided late that night that I was in deed going for an Iron Butt... ie 1000 miles in less than 24hrs. so I got up at 0500 and loaded up the bike and set off. It was clear and dry at first, but cold, again the 80mph speed limit didn't help. I had plenty of time to my self to think about things in my life with out the distraction of things to see or weather from Van Horn to the Austin... My thoughts ranged from what life was like out here, to what is a Steer? I know a Bull is a male and Cow is Female... so wtf is Steer?
Mostly though, my thoughts, already, turn to future adventures. I'd be lying if I said I was 100% in love with the Dakar. To be honest, the weight of her really killed her for me. I'm not sure where I got the illusion, but I was for some reason under the impression the Dakar weighed about as much as a DR650... uh... not so much... it's about 430lbs about 70lbs heaver than I thought, and 120lbs heavier than my DRZ! and in my limited ability off road, it was too much.
Back to the road trip. The weather found me just as I turned off for Austin, and followed me until I got through Houston. I stopped in Austin for an hr and dried out at an Outback Steakhouse. I was supposed to meet a old High School friend, but we couldn't get on the same page time wise. I tried connecting with some friends from forums, but my phone was acting funky so when I checked, none of my messages had been sent and I was ready to get on the road.
I got a little turned around in Houston due to my GPS throwing errors, and almost lost out on my Iron Butt because of it. (shorted the distance 20 miles from what I'd planned out) and it got me off the interstate which slowed me down and pushed my arrival home back about two hrs.
I got to the LA/TX border around 8 or 9 pm... I was exhausted already, but knowing I was close... I stopped at a gas station, fueled up the bike and me, and pushed on

I pressed on and got to Mississippi around 1ish...

I think the blurryness of everything but the sign portrays my feelings at the time...
I got home at 0125 and filled up to get my last reciept for the Iron Butt...
http://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=40...ult&refresh=no
Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

So it's been a while since I've posted here... I wished it was because I was doing soo much riding i didn't have the time... unfortunatly that's not the case. I ended up in the hospital in August of 02 because someone slashed my valve stem while I ran into my office real quick and I went down slamming my helmet resulting in a severe concussion. So I stopped riding to work... Then at the BUTT rally I wrecked and ended up in the hospital again with another severe concussion... two months later I moved to Denver, Colorado, and though I had some good rides in the snow, I wasn't about to commute in it LOL. So it wasn't until this weekend that the Dakar made it's first appearance this year in the mountains of Colorado. I didn't do as much riding as I'd hoped, but i need to get used to long days in the saddle again, and I had prior engagements that cut one day short.
I did make a ride down to Pikes Peak on Saturday though. Gorgeous day, so I stopped and took the obligatory photo of the Dakar

I was bummed to hear from the ranger that the road was paved all the way to the top, but once I got north of 11,000ft I was OK with it. The winds picked up and with no guard rails... had me wondering if a concussion would be the least of my problems if I went down here. I also noticed my confidence on the bike was not what it was... I was stiff and couldn't relax on the way up. Not sure if it was because of my offs... or the time away from riding. I made it to the top eventually and was astonished at how little effort it took for me to feel out of breath. I'm in for a hell of a wake up in a couple weeks when I run the Mt Evans ascent (14 miles starting at 10k ft finish at 14k feet.)

Anyways... here are a couple pics from the top

Then I decided to use my new(ish) Sony NEX-5n that I bought purposely for motorcycle trips for the ride down. I put the neck strap on and shot these as I coasted down in 2nd (held me right at the 20mph speed limit)

Yesterday I took off planning on riding nearly 400 miles, something well within my comfort zone, or used to be. I found I'm needing to ease myself back into long days, as my butt is the limiting factor. Anyways... the day started off fantastic... got an earlier start so the weather was cooler.. but still in the 70's. At the first gas stop I strapped by camera strap through the tank bag to hold it secure but still able me to take photos while riding. Took some getting used to, and I need to work on holding the camera level, but as I'm shooting with my left hand and not taking my eyes off the road (except on a couple) I think out of 300+ shots I got 100 that were keepable... and about 20 that are worthy of showing. Here are a few

My trip took me on and off road and I found this little abandon building... and when on a motorcycle ride... abandon building=photo op.

The dirt ended just up around the corner from this, and as quickly as it showed up, it vanished (probably less than .25miles) and I was transported back in time, I just wished the photos had turned out better

Most people pose for self shots... not me... Mid verse of The Man Who Sold The World, done much better by Nirvana

Then it was back on the asphalt and through some of most gorgeous country in Colorado and some cool mountain towns.

Then it was back off road... I had planned on a couple off road stints, but this one wasn't planned. My GPS routed me though and considering I'd come way down from where I saw snow last, I was ok with it. I was still at 10k feet I'd later find... only got a couple photos before the road required both hands and complete attention (again my lack of confidence off road kicked in)

About 6 miles down the road I ran into snow, it went form a shady area here and there to covering the road in big 10' long areas... which I stupidly didn't scout before and pressed through... and finally to a section that was completely snow for at least 100yards (couldn't see any further due to corners). so I tried turning around, only 1 the ground was like grease due to the run off from the melting snow, and I was on a hill... Note to self... when in a new area and slick conditions combine with elevation changes... SCOUT FIRST! I got the bike turned around and started up the hill, but didn't make it far. The first and biggest snow section stopped me solid. I couldn't get traction with the tire or my feet to try and paddle. I had just dropped the bike on it's side after losing my footing when a guy showed up on a Yamaha WR250 and helped me get the bike out... I'm not quite sure what I'd have done had he not shown up... HUGE WAKEUP call for me, SCOUT and don't even slightly push it when alone.

Anyways, this whole ordeal took about 2hrs out of my day and about 50% of my energy so I threw in the flag and rode home. Thinking I'd hit up the rest of my planned trip Today (Memorial Day) however once I got home and threw some lube on the chain, I discovered my master link clip missing... so no riding till that's back (had a spare, but don't remember where I put it in the move)

anyways... hope you all enjoyed your days off as much as I did mine.

Till next time
Brandon