Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
Lime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I'm one that is an average rider and always believed high end shocks would only benefit really good riders. I was wrong. Prior to a trip to South America I broke down and bought a set of Ohlins for my 2007 GSA. After riding hundreds of miles 2 up with my wife on washboard gravel roads I'm sold. They really are worth the investment. Note: I did have to remove the charcoal canister in order to get them to fit.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #32
seaswood
seaswood

Oddometer: 165
Any comment on adv depot or TT is better?
Seems TT has a couple of options more expensive & mid way are they any better than the adv depot ohlins.
One seemed to be an HP, are they all done by Hyperpro?

http://advdepot.com/ohlins-esa-repla...n-r1200gs.html

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...MW-Motorcycles
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #33
Beefeater Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 197
I run HyperPros on my GSA and really like them. Check out the Vendor's forum for special pricing. If I'm not mistaken, most suspension companies have 2-3 sales a year.

After researching the price differences between buying used (then rebuilding) and buying new, it was a wash. So, I bought my HPs for just under a thousand bucks. Still a lot of money, though, but they were customized to my inseam, weight, etc.
Beefeater Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #34
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I put Wilbers on my 2003 GS in 2004. Bought the remote high/low speed compression damper and hydraulic preload adjustment options and spent $1250.00. Bike had a little over 35,000 miles on it when the shocks were installed and I couldn't believe the difference. The only change I made from the way they were set-up from the factory was to decrease the low speed compression dampening 1 click. It made such a difference on the ride quality and handling that when I installed the stock shocks back on to send the Wilbers to be rebuilt at 85,000 miles that the wife refused to ride with me as she felt the bike was "too unstable and moved around too much" on twisty roads. Reinstalled the rebuilt Wilbers and all was well. I had the shocks built for me with blue springs, and red and blue accents on the rebound and compression knobs. Looks good with the yellow tank, blue/gold Spiegler brake lines and blue valve stems.
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
justinallen03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
if you are going ohlins

I recommend doing a search and finding an ohlins dealer near you (but maybe out of state, if you catch my drift) to buy from. They all quote from the same price book, and the ones I have talked to will work with you on that price as well, something I haven't seen from the TT or other sites. Dan Kyle is well respected and quotes a good price. I bought mine from Fast bike Industries (for reasons said earlier), and he worked with me on price too...awesome service as well. There are too many ohlins dealers to buy from the one-stop shop places online imho.

Also, I'd spring for the TTX. they are awesome and within the ballpark price-wise as the equivalently-optioned hyperpros and Yacugars (other 2 i was considering, which are very highly regarded)

justinallen03 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 03:09 PM
justinallen03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
otbmf
otbmf

Oddometer: 68
fresh shocks definitely worth it

after 40 000 odd miles on the OP's bike, fresh shocks would be worth it.

myself, I went with Elka's after about the same mileage, but I expect any properly set up aftermarket would be fine - expect you'd have to be really racing to reach the full limits of any of the aftermarket shocks. For what it's worth the company I bought from warned about buying 'too much shock', lots of local suspension shops could rebuild your factory ones.

some of the quotes I saw were about $400 per shock for rebuilding...

the Elka's are 'harsh' especially if you're putting in long hours on smooth highway - there's no real softening them up, or it the handling becomes terrible...
otbmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Thumb This

Not sure if you are looking for ESA compatibility or not, but there is someone selling HPs in FM now.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864523.

I emailed the seller and these are not compatible with ESA. But its a good price. I am still on the fence, but pretty sure I will go with HPs hybrid which can be ESA mounted.

I got a quote from EPM Performance Import:

"The price for the set (model 360 front and 460 rear) is $ 1,459 including the component transfer.

Aside from the standard “hybrid” shocks we also offer a special shock for the rear (model 461), one with a remote reservoir with manual high/low speed compression damping adjustment. The price for the set with this shock is $ 1,809.00

The delivery of these shocks from the factory takes about 2-3 weeks. When they arrive and your OEM shocks are here, we will turn it around within 2 days and ship it back."

I am at 44,000 Miles and planing a trip to S.A. next fall so I cannot delay the inevitable any more. After riding Baja 2up loaded with camping gear last fall, I know that I need new shocks. Somehow between witness accounts and research I convinced myself that Hyperpro is the way to go.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 10:29 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #38
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
So, I took a look at this and for the life of me, it seems like a great solution to those of us with ESA bikes that have blown out a stock BMW shock, or will soon.

I have a 2009 GSA with ESA, 35,000 miles, rear shock leaked out oil. I cannot think of any reason not to go with this solution if I am to keep the bike.

Anyone tried this yet?
This happens everytime i bring up these guys. No one has heard of them, no one has tried it and few people seem interested. I don't get it. This is my next big upgrade but I would love to have an earlier pioneer.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #39
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Not sure if you are looking for ESA compatibility or not, but there is someone selling HPs in FM now.

I emailed the seller and these are not compatible with ESA. But its a good price. I am still on the fence, but pretty sure I will go with HPs hybrid which can be ESA mounted.

"The price for the set (model 360 front and 460 rear) is $ 1,459 including the component transfer.

Aside from the standard “hybrid” shocks we also offer a special shock for the rear (model 461), one with a remote reservoir with manual high/low speed compression damping adjustment. The price for the set with this shock is $ 1,809.00

The delivery of these shocks from the factory takes about 2-3 weeks. When they arrive and your OEM shocks are here, we will turn it around within 2 days and ship it back."

I am at 44,000 Miles and planing a trip to S.A. next fall so I cannot delay the inevitable any more. After riding Baja 2up loaded with camping gear last fall, I know that I need new shocks. Somehow between witness accounts and research I convinced myself that Hyperpro is the way to go.
Love my Hyperpros..and the service from Klause..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #40
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,343
Stadium Suspension rebuilds my 07 gsa shocks. Good work, good turn around time. First time costs a bit more for the machining, cheaper after.

I looked around alot. Racing background, familiar with the bennies of nice boingers. Just couldn't justify the cost.

The stockers worked good enough for me (actually worked better than new after the rebuild), and at the cost of rebuilds every 50k miles...I'm sticking with the stock.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,420
The stockers on my current 1150 with barely 10K on them are a lot more bouncy than the stockers on my last 1150 were with 40K. I would normally have looked a lot further down the road at replacing them, but it's actually been on my mind the last couple of weeks. I was going to hit up my local dealer and see what he could work out on a set. He usually cuts me a pretty good break on the high dollar stuff.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #42
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post

Thats a good deal!

They are not for the Adventure though so I believe that they would lower my bike a little and I am not interested in doing that. He also weighs a bit less than me so it would probably be sprung a little too softly for me.

Thanks for the link and lots of good suggestions.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #43
seaswood
seaswood

Oddometer: 165
Esa

Has anyone had any issues installing TTx in an ESA bike?
Yes that means no more ESA but great shocks.
As far as fitting leaving ESA components in place for now anyways.