Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #4096
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
What are your thoughts about the amount of heat from the OEM grips?
So far I have not used my heated grips. In two weeks I head for Daytona and will probably put them to the test. I had the same setup on my Norge and thought they were OK, not blistering but better than without heat.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #4097
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I like the OEM heated grips. They put out plenty of heat for me; I usually use them on low or medium. The connectors for mine were underneath the ABS module and a real pain to get to.
I will say that when it is less than 20 degrees (F) outside, my fingertips still get cold even with good gloves on. But my palms are still toasty if the grips are on high.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #4098
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I will say that when it is less than 20 degrees (F) outside, my fingertips still get cold even with good gloves on. But my palms are still toasty if the grips are on high.
Good to know. I try not to ride if it's under 20, if I do I have my gerbings heated gloves.

I'm still thinking about the MRA windshield extension...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #4099
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
The whole reason for this was to install my OEM heated grips. I had already installed Oxford heated grips but when they lowered the OEM grips to $100 or so I bought some. I'm just hoping that the OEM grips get as warm as the Oxfords...those babies get hot on the highest setting.
The OEM grips won't get as hot as Oxfords. The hottest OEM grips I've had were on my Ducati, and even they can't compare to the Oxfords. The OEM Guzzi grips are fine for me (about the same as my BMW grips), but if you want "burn a bare hand" hot, don't bother.....keep the Oxfords.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #4100
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 178
Those of you that made an aux storage tube out of 6 inch pipe, would any of you be willing to give some dimensions of your tube and post some pictures of how you mounted it?
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #4101
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Big-size Tool Tube

leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #4102
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
Those of you that made an aux storage tube out of 6 inch pipe, would any of you be willing to give some dimensions of your tube and post some pictures of how you mounted it?
I used the 6" PVC (the thinner version, green in color) for the tube on my NTX. It's about 15" long with a shortened cap on the front end and a clean-out port (again shortened) on the back end. I mounted it off the rear case rack using some hand-made aluminum brackets on the front and a very large hose clamp on the rear.

I posted pictures on the Wildguzzi website but am not able to so so on this site.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #4103
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Big-size Tool Tube

That looks about perfect. What mounting brackets did you get for it or did you make them yourself?
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #4104
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Big-size Tool Tube

I don't see anything there but a noose and a license plate. Could you shed a little more light on the subject?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #4105
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Don't have a tape so I'm guessing 2 1/2 ft. cleanouts at both ends and screw clamps to the luggage rack. Hasn't moved an inch in 20000 miles.
My only regret is that I didn't actually try a wider one in there as there is a lot of room.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #4106
brooklyn slim
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,757
Anyone know how wide the back end of the Stelvio is with the factory panniers (Trax) attached?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #4107
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37

Was able to meet Dave from Moto International yesterday, and bring the Stelvio across the border home. And loved it, took this picture right before the skies opened up, and drove the 30 mins home in freezing rain (noticed the little dashboard snowflake blinking at me!).

Even with the not fun weather, loved the bike, love the sound, feel, seating position, and handling. Looking forward to getting it plated this weekend, and polishing/waxing to a nice shine! (Bike was clean, I just like giving a new bike, especially ex-demo bike like this, a fine detail and get to know it, make it shiny).

Bring on the sunshine!
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #4108
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
That looks about perfect. What mounting brackets did you get for it or did you make them yourself?
That's the big-size tool tube for anyone who didn't see the heading, lol.

Yes, I made the bracket myself. Works great.

Not finished yet. Another addition coming soon.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #4109
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Enjoy your new Stelvio Ripngrip! It can really eat up the miles.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #4110
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,022
New update on MRA Xcreen "wing"

Just for the heck of it I decided to try swapping out the 2" "arms" on my Xcreen to the pivoting mount. What I found was while this mounting method is much more stable (the wing doesn't wobble around any more than the stock screen does), losing the 2" of height at the max "barn door" position makes a pretty significant difference in the wing's ability to remove all buffeting (at least for me). With the wing mounted just with the pivoting adjusters, if I duck down 1-2", I get that nice bubble of quiet again.

So......for folks under 6' (say 5'10" or less), the wing mounted with the pivots should work fine. For those of us 6' and above, to get the best performance from the MRA Xcreen, I highly recommend you use the 2" "arms" that come in the kit. For the record, I'm 6'0" w/ 33" inseam, and I'll likely be putting the arms back on my Xcreen so I can get that "barn door" effect on those truly nasty days where I want to keep as much of Mother Nature off me as possible (rain, sleet, etc), and still be able to move the wing almost totally out of the way for those hot summer days.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote