Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #2266
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm trying to get a guy here at work to consider the 1190, but he has Ducati on the brain. He owns two Ducatis and one MV Augusta (all sportbikes). Keeps saying he's considering a Multistrada. I'm like, dude, that is NOT a dual sport. Do you really want to take one of those off-pavement???

My FZ1 is one of those bikes that isn't a lot of fun to go slow on. It likes to be run. It's great for commuting, but I stick to my DR650 for when I go riding for fun.

Rob
The Multi is an ok commuter. Ok sport tourer. That's it. I don't ride mine on the weekend. Dull compared to a sport bike or KTM

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #2267
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Initially at the dealer (Teammoto Virginia) they told me that the bike will arrive in the first week of March... Today they told me it is now in the "end of March".
My perception is that no one there has a clue about that. Also they send me the invoice for the parts I ordered ($6500) plus $1100 for installation!!! Seriously???
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #2268
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I have to be honest and say that. at the moment, i don't know.

The R is better looking in my opinion and definitely has more off road capability. But will I be using it off road much ? Possibly the odd trail whilst on holiday but other than that i have a 640 Adventure for more serious off road use. And for road use the 21 inch front wheel may compromise handling a little compared to the 19 inch wheel on the standard model.

The suspension on the R has much more adjustability than the standard bike (but you do need to get spanners/screwdrivers out to so it)

I think it might be down to a toss of a coin ..................

I prefer the "R" look also when unladen but there is something attractive in an all-business sort of way about the standard bike ("S" ?) when it is loaded up with the crash bar, tank bag and plastic luggage:

(Pic: autoevolution.com)

I wonder whether Kiska planned it that way. A good part of the improvement is the removal of the silver plates protecting the tank lowers, in favour of the crash bar.

The look is definitely growing on me. Enough to wonder whether it represents a bit of a leap that will take a while to get traction. Grudging appreciation in 10 years' time, and recognition as a classic in 20? (Yes, I've always liked Ducati's 999 )

From this angle and with the gear on, it makes the new GS look mincing and the Multistrada effete, IMO.

Or have I drunk too much orange already?

On a related note: does anybody know whether the non-electric suspension on the standard bike is at the same grade as that on the R? For example, the R appears to have concentric adjusters on the rear shock for high-speed and low-speed compression damping. Will the standard bike have the same, just with 30mm less travel?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #2269
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,406
I was simply stating fact.

I'm a gunsmith and at one point made custom knives. I have used A2, D2, 154CM (when it was made by Colts Industries and was called Crucible Steel), SV3, SV35 and the shitty 440 series. All have chrome in them and all have molybdenum. And as the other poster stated, KTM uses steel in their frames with both chrome and molybdenum and their ad writers undoubtedly added stainless to make the ad read better. And for what it's worth, stainless steel is neither stainless or rust free. The alloys that are used simply make it less prone to corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateDunk View Post
Chrome Moly Steel (41XX) is a low alloy steel with excellent strength, harden-ability and welding characteristics.

Stainless steel, although it does contain both chrome and molybdenum is not chrome moly. Its strength characteristics for primary structure are... lacking.

The yield strength of stainless is generally 1/2 or less of its ultimate strength.

For chrome moly it is generally 2/3 to 3/4.

This means stainless will bend long before it breaks. It also doesnt work harden very well. We avoid the use of stainless in aircraft structures like the plague. It has nasty habits, especially over time and when exposed to certain chemicals.

Stainless also tends to pull horribly when welded. I would hate to imagine the poor bugger who had to design a stainless steel welded frame and account for how much it might or might not pull...

For frying pans, cutlery and industrial use, stainless is great, but for primary structure... yikes!

I've also been impressed with KTM's use of aluminium hardware in steel structure. Yes it stops the steel from corroding, but then the bolt corrodes and breaks. Maybe they've changed this over the years? Not worth the weight saving in my opinion.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #2270
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Initially at the dealer (Teammoto Virginia) they told me that the bike will arrive in the first week of March... Today they told me it is now in the "end of March".
My perception is that no one there has a clue about that. Also they send me the invoice for the parts I ordered ($6500) plus $1100 for installation!!! Seriously???

I guess they have some kind of problem with the deliveries, my dealer in Italy, keeps postponing the week of arrival of my bike. It was souposed to arrive 2 weeks ago, now they are talling me next week but it isn't sure, they received my special parts already, just like you.... at least they haven't try to charge me for those.

Consider that we are 300 km away from KTM factory, not on the other side of the word like you.
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #2271
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

(Pic: autoevolution.com)Or have I drunk too much orange already?
NOPE.

Time to buy shares in KTM, these two bikes are going to absolutely rock this market segment. IMO

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #2272
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
NOPE.

Time to buy shares in KTM, these two bikes are going to absolutely rock this market segment. IMO

996DL
I agree. These two beauties will sell well and nibble at Bimmer's market dominance. My favourite is the R - absolutely beautiful design.

I'll be ready to buy one in a couple of years
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 12:55 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #2273
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
I agree. These two beauties will sell well and nibble at Bimmer's marlet dominance. My favourite is the R - absolutely beautiful design.

I'll be ready to buy one in a couple of years
I'm ready to buy one now, if they'd import the R to the U.S.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #2274
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I'm ready to buy one now, if they'd import the R to the U.S.
when is the 1190 adv aspected to be imported in US???
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #2275
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,406
A dealer I spoke to said August at the earliest, probably September.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #2276
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
I guess they have some kind of problem with the deliveries, my dealer in Italy, keeps postponing the week of arrival of my bike. It was souposed to arrive 2 weeks ago, now they are talling me next week but it isn't sure....
It came to my mind, when I purchased my SE back in early March 2006 in Sweden the informed expected delivery time was early May. I harassed my dealer (one of the largest KTM reps in my country) on regular basis but he wasn't able to give any trustworthy timeinfo until just some 2-3 weeks ahead of the actual delivery (that became June 30).That means two months later delivey than the best estimate four months prior to the actual delivery. The status of KTM's project was similar with the current for the 1190, some very few bikes already out on the (Austrian) market, photos of about 20 new bikes parked outside the manufacturing workshop, bike fairs, test by journalists etc. etc.

Balsta screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 02:53 PM
Balsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #2277
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,498
I had the same experience with my '01 KTM 400 and '06 KTM 950 Supermoto. Both were brand new models, I ordered both almost a year before the release, and in both cases they just guessed at a delivery date even as the dates got close and then went by with no bike.

Be patient, it'll get here!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #2278
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
NOPE.

996DL
I agree, however, the target group for the R1200GS will probably pass.
Main reason: No shaft drive, no Boxer, that alone excludes a KTM for me.
F800GS is a different issue, I'd prefer the KTM.
BMW competence is clearly road focused.
KTM focus is more off-road (even more so with the recent acquisition of Husqvarna from BMW).
KTM is 47% owned by Bajaj India and that is fine, however from brand perspective I prefer BMW
by a margin, I guess I'm biased :-)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #2279
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,115
If these two bikes (150hp and all) are anywhere near as successful for KTM, as the 1200MTS has been for Ducati, it'll be the start of a whole new chapter in KTM's mass marketing.

And those that want the shaft, will still get the shaft.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #2280
goodcat8 OP
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Laugh

Quote:
If these two bikes (150hp and all) are anywhere near as successful for KTM, as the 1200MTS has been for Ducati, it'll be the start of a whole new chapter in KTM's mass marketing.

And those that want the shaft, will still get the shaft.

996DL

I see what you did there.