ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 506 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #27346
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer
 
bogieboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Clifton Springs NY
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post




well, so you have a frame with 1" threaded headset, and a 1" threadless fork?

Whale, Aisle Bee Daiman. they still make 1" threadless headsets. http://www.aheadset.com/bicycle-headsets?p=TR.1

whats missing here is the size of the head tube this fits into, one can only pray its the same as what you have. I *think* that was pretty much standardized prior to the current 1-1/8" stuff.

now you need to remove the headset from the frame (remove bars, stem, remove old forks, use long brass drift and hammer to tap out the headset cups from behind). take the frame to LBS to have the head tube reamed and faced (the tool to do this properly far exceeds the cost of this whole project).

install threadless headset cups in freshly reamed and faced frame (I've been known to use a wood block and rubber mallet, its properly done with a press, others have used threaded rod and big washers, whats important is that both the cups go in STRAIGHT and fully seat). install the crown race on the fork. assemble the headset stack with the fork.

now you get to find a stem that fits a 1" threadless system, should be fun since /everything/ is 1-1/8" nowdays.
for the 1" headset yes that was a standard size of 30mm headshell, and still is for some BMX, so finding them isnt that hard... I already have the headset i need, and a stem and adapter sleeve, i know how to install a headset and cup races.... Been doing that as long as i have been riding... (i prefer the threaded rod and washers method) i habe never needed to ream and face a headtube.... Little 600grit to knock any burrs down and its good to go.....that has worked fine for me on the last 4 bikes i built....

Gotta think outside of the box when dealing with me... Otherwise it will cause you headaches....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #27347
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer
 
bogieboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Clifton Springs NY
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My SS is setup the same way; 26" > 700c. I love that bike!
Finally....LOL Someone else that understands how to add...LOL mtb tires on a 26" rim are larger diameter than 700c road tires...hell they are even a 1/4" bigger than a 27"x1 1/4" oldschool road tire....
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #27348
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
i'll wish you good luck again 'cuz i expect you're going to need it, and in spite of the fact that you came here asking for help it seems there's nothing anyone can help you with that you don't already (think you) know.

(i'm glad it's not my bikes you're working on! it's going to be, uh, interesting.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
[assumptions, unrelated conclusions, and other general blather snipped]
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #27349
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
i'll wish you good luck again 'cuz i expect you're going to need it, and in spite of the fact that you came here asking for help it seems there's nothing anyone can help you with that you don't already (think you) know.

(i'm glad it's not my bikes you're working on! it's going to be, uh, interesting.)


who said "its not what you don't know, but what you know that ain't so, that gets you in trouble!" ?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #27350
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
who said "its not what you don't know, but what you know that ain't so, that gets you in trouble!" ?
Meh. Some of us love to experiment and learn on our own.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #27351
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Meh. Some of us love to experiment and learn on our own.
I think we all get that. I've made stuff work that by all rights shouldn't have. You aren't a mechanic for 20 years if you don't.

One of my favorites was a pair of thumb shifters on a road drop bar as 'barcons' for my around town bike back in college. Ricky's got a lot more than that. He's got creativity coming out his ears!

I get that sometimes there's awesome things that come out of 'hey, let's see what THIS does!' Just look at most of the 'some assembly required' section of this site. ...but if collectively everyone says 'it isn't a good idea' would you keep going or would you stop and think about it some?

Me? Faggetaboutit. I'm going for a 3-4hr ride on my cross bike here in a bit. Good thing its 'warmed up' to the 30s!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #27352
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Me? Faggetaboutit. I'm going for a 3-4hr ride on my cross bike here in a bit. Good thing its 'warmed up' to the 30s!
20deg and windy, here.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #27353
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer
 
bogieboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Clifton Springs NY
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I think we all get that. I've made stuff work that by all rights shouldn't have. You aren't a mechanic for 20 years if you don't.

One of my favorites was a pair of thumb shifters on a road drop bar as 'barcons' for my around town bike back in college. Ricky's got a lot more than that. He's got creativity coming out his ears!

I get that sometimes there's awesome things that come out of 'hey, let's see what THIS does!' Just look at most of the 'some assembly required' section of this site. ...but if collectively everyone says 'it isn't a good idea' would you keep going or would you stop and think about it some?

Me? Faggetaboutit. I'm going for a 3-4hr ride on my cross bike here in a bit. Good thing its 'warmed up' to the 30s!

M
First off let me say im not trying to say i onow everything about everything....LOL im only 24.... I just have an adventurous mind that often brings up that "i wonder what would happen if" scenario.....LOL i am also on a rather tight budget, so if i can save the hundred or so a frame would cost, thats a big help to me... If i have to i will get a frame... I would rather have the fun with this one first though, because it was free...

That said i did prove a lot of people wrong with the last "unanimous you cant make it work" project.... Front engine rear wheel drive 5spd gocart.....LOL



Thing does almost 40, powered by a 1979 honda xl75 motor...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #27354
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,779
Anybody know anything about these pedals?

The price and specs looks almost too good to be true:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEST-PDA07Ti...20983148279%26
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #27355
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Produced in China, no idea on the quality of ti alloy. I wouldn't use a Ti axle on a mountain bike, and wouldn't use an unvetted far east Ti part on anything. Just my $.02
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #27356
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 6,452
They're *all* produced in China.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours 2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR...I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #27357
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Yup, some have a track record though.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #27358
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
They're *all* produced in China.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #27359
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 570
Far east doesn't mean bad, but it doesn't mean good either. Breaking a spindle on a pedal ain't fun, been there, still have the scars. I'll spend my $$ on something that has R&D and a proven record, I don't care where it is produced.
__________________
Phoenix, Az

vfr700 screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:19 AM
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #27360
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer
 
bogieboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Clifton Springs NY
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Far east doesn't mean bad, but it doesn't mean good either. Breaking a spindle on a pedal ain't fun, been there, still have the scars. I'll spend my $$ on something that has R&D and a proven record, I don't care where it is produced.
What sucks worse is snapping a BBshaft on the chainring side... Chainrings....meet leg.....and by meet i mean maul.....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015