User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 929
Pissed Ontario

Lived In Ontario most my life good or bad. I have noticed in my many, many drives from the Huntsville/ Parry Sound area up Hwy 11 and now 400 to TO area have a but load of cops. In the summer I can understand it due to the people fleeing the city and racing to get to the so called north. But it seems that Hwy 11 has more of them year round then new Hwy 400 (Parry sound to Barrie).
Lots and lots of cars being pulled over on Hwy 11 (or at least when I pass through). As for them being nice and reducing a fine/ warning I can't say. But I was driving my moms car (she were away and didn't want it to sit so long) and her plates had expired by 7 days. I was pulled over and given a ticket for it. 7 fing days over WTF she was in the states for two months and forgot to put them on before she left. Any way lesson learned for that, not speeding yet though, but that's a different story and at fault lol. But it does scare me that 50km over we have. If I was on a bike I am not sure I would want to stop to find out IF the cop was in a good mood or not. Your screwed any way why not add another charge to it and go for broke

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Timo Explorer
Trail Wizard

Oddometer: 256
Never had a speeding ticket on a bike. Probably because I live in central Ontario, and I know that the revenue-generating speed cops are everywhere, so you just don't ride too fast, at least on paved roads. Never seen radar set up on gravel roads or trails.

Only time I have been stopped on the bike was by a local (South Simcoe) cop, to tell me that I cannot have my licence plate mounted vertically. No ticket, just a warning. I have ridden all over Canada and the US, and countless Highway Patrol cops have checked out the plate, and never bothered with how it is mounted. I guess most cops can function in a public library and read vertical plates, but hick-town cops struggle with such skills.
"You can't stay young, but you can stay immature." -- Red Green
"Never leave spontaneity to chance." -- Neil Peart
Timo Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I did Toronto to Vancouver and back last fall. In general I saw one cop a day - with some of the days out west without one. The kicker is that on one day - Sault to Thunder Bay, I passed 13 OPP marked units and I suspect a few ghost cars. My second biggest day was 7 - guess where - Toronto to Sault.

I guess there is no crime in Ontario if we can afford to dedicate so may resources to patrol in areas of such little population density.

I saw more cops in Ontario than the rest of the country combined by a long shot ! Talk about heavy handed enforcement - boo hiss.....
Waterboiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboiler View Post
I did Toronto to Vancouver and back last fall. In general I saw one cop a day - with some of the days out west without one. The kicker is that on one day - Sault to Thunder Bay, I passed 13 OPP marked units and I suspect a few ghost cars. My second biggest day was 7 - guess where - Toronto to Sault.

I guess there is no crime in Ontario if we can afford to dedicate so may resources to patrol in areas of such little population density.

I saw more cops in Ontario than the rest of the country combined by a long shot ! Talk about heavy handed enforcement - boo hiss.....

Look at Ontario's fiscal mess, with debt/population %'s higher than most of Europe. It's all about revenue collection.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Speeding in BC

Back story, good luck on my part I had not had a traffic violation in BC (16years) until the story starts

Then.... I get two in a week. I pay the fines and lick my wounds

8 months later, I get a surcharge on my drivers $375 extra, because I am a bad driver

I thought it must be a mistake, call

The guy on the other end of the line, I feel your pain, but what ever you do !

Don't get another ticket for the next 4 months!

Seems that 3 with a one year period makes the taxman wet with anticipation
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Coming back from Seattle to Vancouver last week on a tuesday morning, Passed by 4 State trooper cars on a on ramp next to the I-5, and just around the corner another State trooper already feeding.
Really? 5 cars on a tuesday morning? For sure its all about revenue Lined up like taxicabs at the Vancouver airport!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #22
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboiler View Post

Ontario has the worst TCH in the country. I would see many people using a bicycle crossing the country during the summer. There are 100s of Kms. in Ontario with no shoulder for the people on the bikes. This forces the bicycle rider onto a strip of pavement maybe 5 inches wide with a transport truck right beside him/her at 90 Km/hr. The road is single lane each way so the truck has nowhere to go. I see signs all over the place stressing safety and don't speed etc. but no shoulder for the bicycles. They even have huge signs that are electric powered urging safety. I watched a big road construction project that widened the ditch, removed big rocks from the ditch. When the job was done they never widened the road for the bicycles. In some cases they never even repaved the road, just left the ruts from the heavy machines.

My opinion is that Southern Ontario is one world and Northern Ontario is a different world all together. The north is treated like a third world country.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote