User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
dont hate me for another tire thread

I tried searching and probably just suck at it...

Anyways...i'm in the market for some new tires. i ride 90% road and about 10% fire roads and relatively easy off road (broke my back in September so surgeons still say no real off roading).

I really like the look for the Michelin Anakee 3 but no 18in rear.

What else is out there that will last and be nice and grippy.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,936
If you don't like mix/match:
stock tires- pirelli scorp MT90. The back tire is a great street tire, IMHO, but it doesn't last as long as I wish it did.
Conti trail attack: good life, great dry grip, I don't like them in the rain as much as the scorps or the pilot road 3 (see below). Very round profile, really easy turn in (for me, it's too easy and not enough feedback)

For mixing and matching:
I've been running the pilot road 3 in a 160/70/18 on the rear for street duty. I think it grips better and lasts longer than any other option I've tried. And I'd have no hesitation taking it on fire roads and such, it's just as good as the trail attack.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
If you don't like mix/match:
stock tires- pirelli scorp MT90. The back tire is a great street tire, IMHO, but it doesn't last as long as I wish it did.
Conti trail attack: good life, great dry grip, I don't like them in the rain as much as the scorps or the pilot road 3 (see below). Very round profile, really easy turn in (for me, it's too easy and not enough feedback)

For mixing and matching:
I've been running the pilot road 3 in a 160/70/18 on the rear for street duty. I think it grips better and lasts longer than any other option I've tried. And I'd have no hesitation taking it on fire roads and such, it's just as good as the trail attack.
What are you running in the front then? i really dislike the mt90 up front...i've had terrible head shake with it.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
What are you running in the front then? i really dislike the mt90 up front...i've had terrible head shake with it.
Well, I relaced a front to run a 19" tire for street, and I have another set for dirt. So I'm running a PR3 on front too. I think the anakee would be a good front though. I ran the trail attacks on 18/21 and then on 18/19, both times I felt like they were a pretty good tire, just not for me- they'd fall into turns too fast, and I spun up the rear a lot when riding in the rain. Sorry to hear of the headshake with the scorps, I've run quite a few sets and haven't had any problems, seems like some bikes are more prone to it than others.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Hey i'm thinking about the michelin anakee 3 front and the pilot road 3 in the rear.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Hey i'm thinking about the michelin anakee 3 front and the pilot road 3 in the rear.
I think they'd be good tires, and you very well might get 7-8k miles out of the set. If you try them, let us know how they work, i couldn't find any other data points for the wider 18" tire used on this rim, but it seems to work fine for me.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
I tried searching and probably just suck at it...

Anyways...i'm in the market for some new tires. i ride 90% road and about 10% fire roads and relatively easy off road (broke my back in September so surgeons still say no real off roading).

I really like the look for the Michelin Anakee 3 but no 18in rear.

What else is out there that will last and be nice and grippy.
you can find "nice and grippy" that will fit the rear, however the 21" hoop up front will limit the available options.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Strokizator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Why not the Continental Trail Attack? I put on a set before a 5000 mile road trip that was mostly pavement but some fast dirt road and they worked great. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like it's the tire that comes stock on the new 1190 Adv R.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokizator View Post
Why not the Continental Trail Attack?
I have the Continental Trail Attack on my KTM 990 Adv and it works quite well for mostly street duty with occasional trips on dirt roads. Looking at the tread, I have a hard time understanding how the word "Trail" applies, but it works okay on dirt roads. I want to get something more dirt oriented for this bike, but the tires don't seem to wear out and I hate to toss them before they're used up. Definitely a long lasting tire.

I have IRC GP-110 tires on my XR650L and am very happy with the grip on the street from those, as long as the tire pressure is up over 30 psi. They work quite a bit better on dirt roads than the Conti tires. They're not as good in dirt as TKC-80's which I also use on that bike. I know that the IRC tires wear out faster than the Trail Attacks, but not fast enough that I'm concerned with wear. I plan to try the Shinko 705 next on the XR. Who knows, they might be good on the KTM too.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

I did order the michelin anakee 3 in a 90/90/21 for the front and for the rear i ended up with the michelin pilot road 3 in 160/60/18. I'll have them mounted monday night i hope.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Great choice I think.
The conti's are great tyres, but you are right; not brilliant in the wet. I absolutely love the PR3 for a long lasting super tyre, with a wet road party trick most people just would not believe. My fav wet tyre.

Will be interested to hear how you get on! Especially with that front as a combo.
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
I'd mess with the suspension, I have the mt90's and I ride the shit out of that tire, riding past the tread sometimes and I never get head shake. The rear moves more then the front for me. Even on shitty roads I don't have a problem with them. For 90/10 I don't think you'll find a better tire IMO. Add more rebound and see how it feels. The conti's are better but suck in the dirt, the mt90's aren't really good either but I was riding black diamond single track when I made that decision.

I have to say for a bike with over 10 inches of travel it handles exception on the street. Super predictable and super forgiving (Maybe to forgiving). I'm probably sayin this becuase I had a great street ride yesterday, and I've been on some well setup track bikes. Yep I like my 990.

Capt.saveaho screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 09:19 PM
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
I'd mess with the suspension, I have the mt90's and I ride the shit out of that tire, riding past the tread sometimes and I never get head shake. The rear moves more then the front for me. Even on shitty roads I don't have a problem with them. For 90/10 I don't think you'll find a better tire IMO. Add more rebound and see how it feels. The conti's are better but suck in the dirt, the mt90's aren't really good either but I was riding black diamond single track when I made that decision.

I have to say for a bike with over 10 inches of travel it handles exception on the street. Super predictable and super forgiving (Maybe to forgiving). I'm probably sayin this becuase I had a great street ride yesterday, and I've been on some well setup track bikes. Yep I like my 990.
Ive played with the suspension left right up and down. cant get rid of it. I have the suspension dialed so that the bike handles like a dream.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
I'm currently liking the Trail Attack on my road wheels. I think the last set did 15k miles too, which aint half bad!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Anyone got suggestions of hot and cold tire pressures?