Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #46
Bass OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
no
they only make them for proper bikes

still - owning a klr has got to be better than not riding at all - even for a dr rider?

Interesting - your comment about wondering if you would ride up the Porika when you'd had no problems going down it.
I always find uphills less stressful than downhills - always worried about the bike getting away from me going down steep downhills...

great RR BTW
Or for bikes that aren't up to scratch to begin with and need some help (you started it Mark)

As for downhills, I've always figured that going down, I have control of braking at both ends and several options as to how I brake the back. Going up, it's only the back providing drive and so I actually have much more control of my destiny going down. Further, I can do it at snails pace going down where momentum is sometimes crucial going up.
Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #47
Bass OP
Studly Adventurer

Now we were originally scheduled to grab the ferry tomorrow morning and press on to Jamie’s place that afternoon. However, Jamie had worked out that the Clarence River track was open this weekend and we were unlikely to ever get a better opportunity. So we had moved our ferry bookings out 2 days to the Sunday and planned to visit the Clarence on Saturday. That left Friday to deal with.

Friday February 8th

Part of it was solved by my deciding that my rear brake pads would get me home or do the Clarence plus what ever Friday brought, but they wouldn’t last for both. We both thought that there wasn’t a great chance of getting the right pads in Blenheim and that I might even have to scoot back to Nelson for them. In any case the following morning we tracked down the Suzuki dealership in Blenheim and asked the question. This was a car and bike dealership which I hadn’t seen before although it looked like the bikes were the junior partner as you’d expect.
They didn’t have them in stock but could get them by Monday. Looked like either Nelson or the ferry for me and I started asking questions about who to visit in Nelson and could they check for me. At this stage they told me that they would take the pads off a new bike they had in stock out the back and fit them for me.
There’s that South Island service thing again. It was maximum effort stuff – well done guys and thanks.
They did charge me over a hundred bucks for it though, so I guess you get nothing for nothing.

So mobile once more, we found some breakfast and pushed off over Taylor’s Pass again. The grader was working on this road and so we had to be a bit careful, firstly because of the gravel heap he was leaving and secondly, we didn’t know where we would meet him.
Right towards Molesworth again but stopped at the Altimarloch turnoff. There was a sign saying authorized access only which we didn’t like the look of, but we headed up the track anyway. We stopped at the first house we encountered and asked the situation. There seemed to be no problem, there were certainly no questions or bureaucracy, just some advice on the track condition and to watch out for other vehicles at the sharp corners in amongst the trees. So up we went.
It’s a moderate climb with a few mildly rough bits but nothing untoward at all. The views from the top are to die for. We could see the North Island quite clearly.

Then of course, there’s the way down.

Back over Taylors pass again and the grader was on his final pass. The surface was loose, the wind pretty much down the road and the dust about the worst I’ve seen this side of the Tasman. Happy joy!!
Now the day was far from done but we had completed our riding program. However, it just so happens that I have an interest in aviation. I own half a plane so it’s not surprising although which half, is up for debate. Anyway, we wandered out to Omaka.

Boeing Stearman; magic old beast. Real aeroplanes have round engines and two wings.

Bristol Freighter, the plane with the built in head wind.

Well that about saw the day out. We had found a motel in Blenheim before we went riding and left our gear there. It so happened that there was this great Chinese restaurant right in front. Excellent evening.

Saturday February 9th

We were on the road south bright and early. It was a good run until we ran into sea fog at about the Clarence River bridge. Visibility dropped right back and it got cold. We had emerged from the fog by Kaikoura and stopped for a coffee. We parked the bikes out back but sat right out front. There was a big HOG convention on in Auckland the next week and so there were heaps of Harleys heading north. There was a Harley trike parked right in front owned by a couple at a neighbouring table. I went over to have a closer look just as another group of Harleys went past. They tooted and gave me a cheery wave, obviously thinking the trike was mine. Now you have seen my riding gear – what do you think they made of that. Probably talking all the way to Auckland about the clown in the red suit with the immaculate trike at Kaikoura. We fell about laughing.
On down the road and there was more fog until we turned inland. We soon came to the track turnoff and went though the registration procedure with the lady manning the entrance. Well what a day’s riding!!

Down the other side

At the bottom

To give some perspective, there’s a vehicle and 3 people in that picture.

I did part of the south branch and then headed out. Jamie had a quick look up the north branch and then joined me. He had a ball while I tested myself. It’s not that the riding is difficult, it’s just that in places, the consequences of a mistake could be rather severe and so I took it quietly - except for the river flats and fords of course where I scared the crap out of another biker we met in there by passing him in a ford on the way out. He hadn’t heard me coming up although I sat behind him for quite a distance waiting for a clear chance to pass.

I chatted to the DOC lady at the entrance for about 20 minutes until Jamie showed up. We pumped up our tyres and headed north – my slimy little compressor that I took to Oz still gives stirling service. The haul back up to Blenheim was a drag and we were pleased to get off the bikes. Another good Chinese feed and bed.

Sunday February 10th

We went home.

Ferry time again

The haul from Wellington back up to Jamie’s was another drag. It was the only part of the trip where I would have swapped the DR for a KLR. Now there’s an admission. Naked bikes are tiring at speed.
Nearly 5000 km for the trip and two back tyres – not bad eh? Bike really needs an oil change now and the carby needs a cleanout.

Cheers

Neil

Bass screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 11:52 PM
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #48
shrek lone rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
great write up... I was wondering when you guys would be through my back yard lol... just to find you came when we had headed north for the weekend...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #49
Brian62
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks

Thanks for the great write up and awesome photos. I rode some of the roads you did in December. I struggled going down the Porika track. I'm not a very good rider, I'm better on a mountain bike. I need to get some instruction from my next door neighbour. You have given me a whole lot more roads to ride and places to see next time I'm down Sth visiting the family.
I did an over night on Dome Hill station with my son inlaw and grandson, amongst the more common rides I did, do you think it would be worth me writing it up and posting it on here.
Thanks again for the time and effort you put into your report.
Brian
Brian62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #50
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass View Post
The haul from Wellington back up to Jamie’s was another drag. It was the only part of the trip where I would have swapped the DR for a KLR. Now there’s an admission. Naked bikes are tiring at speed.
Nearly 5000 km for the trip and two back tyres – not bad eh? Bike really needs an oil change now and the carby needs a cleanout.

Cheers

Neil
on any sealed stuff the klr is a comfortable slow road bike that handles surprisingly well. I've pretty well given up using mine off road because I was constantly smashing things - too much plastic and too much weight.

enjoyed the RR :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian62 View Post
Thanks for the great write up and awesome photos. I rode some of the roads you did in December. I struggled going down the Porika track. I'm not a very good rider, I'm better on a mountain bike. I need to get some instruction from my next door neighbour. You have given me a whole lot more roads to ride and places to see next time I'm down Sth visiting the family.
I did an over night on Dome Hill station with my son inlaw and grandson, amongst the more common rides I did, do you think it would be worth me writing it up and posting it on here.
Thanks again for the time and effort you put into your report.
Brian
The first time I went down the south side of the Porika I nearly shit myself - it gets easier each time. I would have thought mountain biking would be great preparation for the rougher bits of adventure riding

It would be great to see your ride report
Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #51
iny46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hi Neil

very good stuff

I´m looking forward to your meeting in AKl in January and to your amazing riding reports.

Servus Andreas

http://www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de
iny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #52
Bass OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Servus.

I'll just go and put a few beers in the refrigerator.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #53
iny46
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass View Post
Thanks Servus.

I'll just go and put a few beers in the refrigerator.

that´s a good

Servus Andreas

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #54
iny46
Adventurer

Hi Neil

now it is 6 months ago, I had the pleasure to meet you and Nicki.

As you can see, I had soo much fun riding so many of the tracks you rode just one Year before me.

The greatest Journey of my live ever.

Best regards