Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,839
Really enjoyed your ride report, so I think I'll lurk here and watch the prep

huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,584
Not sure Paul what to add, checked out your map for Sud Amerika, looks like you didn't ride Ruta 40 in Patagonia. That's a rough road and much like Russia and Mongolia gravel highways.

Ruta 40 would have given you a better idea of what to prepare for mechanically, mentally and physically but the fact that SA highways didn't killyou say much good about your paved road riding.

Did youdo much dirt in Alaska?

I have ridden South Amerika down and back and it was challanging but Russia and Mongolia are life threatening in ways that mimic the worst of SA. Much of my ride was dirt and gravel-7 time zones.

So it's much longer and the only way out is by train or plane if you don't ride your machine out.

Suspension is critical in Russia because the dirt is rough(potholes)and fast but more on that after you start to wear in your new ride and get closer.

I'd love to see you make it across on your KTM and though my knowledge of Russia is getting dated, I'll help you any way I can.

I used Horizons to establish Russian contacts who met me in Vladivostok...that was very helpfull when they were sober.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
You may or may not have the low octane switchable CDI, pull the right sidecover and see if your CDI has a brown black wire with a bullet connector going into it... Here is a good writeup on the subject: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=9

I notice a slight power loss and about a 10% loss in fuel economy when running in the low octane setting...
something to look for when the sun comes up...if not then that write up is great information to have on hand for part numbers, thanks for digging that up for me
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
Really enjoyed your ride report, so I think I'll lurk here and watch the prep

lurk away...hopefully you've recovered from chasing deb around south america
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
lurk away...hopefully you've recovered from chasing deb around south america
Yeah, I've recovered

Damn that girl can ride...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Not sure Paul what to add, checked out your map for Sud Amerika, looks like you didn't ride Ruta 40 in Patagonia. That's a rough road and much like Russia and Mongolia gravel highways.

Ruta 40 would have given you a better idea of what to prepare for mechanically, mentally and physically but the fact that SA highways didn't killyou say much good about your paved road riding.

Did youdo much dirt in Alaska?

I have ridden South Amerika down and back and it was challanging but Russia and Mongolia are life threatening in ways that mimic the worst of SA. Much of my ride was dirt and gravel-7 time zones.

So it's much longer and the only way out is by train or plane if you don't ride your machine out.

Suspension is critical in Russia because the dirt is rough(potholes)and fast but more on that after you start to wear in your new ride and get closer.

I'd love to see you make it across on your KTM and though my knowledge of Russia is getting dated, I'll help you any way I can.

I used Horizons to establish Russian contacts who met me in Vladivostok...that was very helpfull when they were sober.
bill
i did Ushuaia northwards in 2011 all the way to prudhoe bay, click in my profile for the other ride report, loads of dirt in every country and state, but it would have been more fun on this KTM

who is the best suspension guy for these models?

thanks for the offer of Russia info, between you and Walter (Colebatch) i should be covered but that is literally years away, as i'll head west thru India/ Pakistan/ Middle East and Europe before i loop back to do Russia and Mongolia, west to east and then back east to west

good to have along for the ride
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Yeah, I've recovered

Damn that girl can ride...
how is her welding fixes that i suggested holding up? she needs all the structural support possible on that little bike at the pace she can move down a road, your ride sounded like fun.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #23
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
how is her welding fixes that i suggested holding up? she needs all the structural support possible on that little bike at the pace she can move down a road, your ride sounded like fun.
Her bike is receiving some TLC from a mechanic in Santiago right now, where she and bubbletron are currently. I don't know what welding fixes you suggested, so I can't speak to those, but she's almost done with the trip. I think she's planning to be in Buenos Aires by mid-March.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Her bike is receiving some TLC from a mechanic in Santiago right now, where she and bubbletron are currently. I don't know what welding fixes you suggested, so I can't speak to those, but she's almost done with the trip. I think she's planning to be in Buenos Aires by mid-March.
it was a problem with her rear subframe and luggage mounts, she got a fix done when we were in Cartagena...that bike needs some lovin for sure, sounds like most of the guys that were on the stahlratte are about done, as for me back home and working on heading out again...this adventure life sucks
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
it was a problem with her rear subframe and luggage mounts, she got a fix done when we were in Cartagena...that bike needs some lovin for sure, sounds like most of the guys that were on the stahlratte are about done, as for me back home and working on heading out again...this adventure life sucks
She'll likely be shipping the bike here to Seattle at some point this year, maybe as early as late March. Hopefully I'll have a chance to tear the bike down and do a bit of work on her. Part of the reason for my lurking here -- see what generic bike issues might come in handy. And it'll give me ideas for finishing up my TE610
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
She'll likely be shipping the bike here to Seattle at some point this year, maybe as early as late March. Hopefully I'll have a chance to tear the bike down and do a bit of work on her. Part of the reason for my lurking here -- see what generic bike issues might come in handy. And it'll give me ideas for finishing up my TE610
get that thing cleaned up and sold and get her a drop seat dr650 she's dreaming about, hopefully you know about that?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Quote:
get that thing cleaned up and sold and get her a drop seat dr650 she's dreaming about, hopefully you know about that?
She's dreaming about a lowered seat dr650? First I've heard of it. Damn it, why I am I the last to know

I'm guessing there will be another 650GS in her future, maybe one with a factory lowering kit? I'd talk her into the F800GS, but that bike is taller, and besides, with that much power, there's no way I'd ever catch her

I'll be keeping an eye out for an XT225 or XT250 for her for here, so we can go do some dirt riding together. That yellow piggie of hers doesn't do so well in dirt.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
She's dreaming about a lowered seat dr650? First I've heard of it. Damn it, why I am I the last to know

I'm guessing there will be another 650GS in her future, maybe one with a factory lowering kit? I'd talk her into the F800GS, but that bike is taller, and besides, with that much power, there's no way I'd ever catch her

I'll be keeping an eye out for an XT225 or XT250 for her for here, so we can go do some dirt riding together. That yellow piggie of hers doesn't do so well in dirt.
I was just reading about the new f700gs in this months motorcyclist magazine. Worth a look - restricted f800 power plant, optional 30" seat height, etc

Past Rides: 1994 KTM 400 EXC WP/D LC4 - Plated; 2001 BMW F650GS Thumper; 1970 CB175; 2003 KLR250
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 393
Unless I missed it and your bike has one already (but being an earlier SXC probably not) is a cush drive rear hub as on an ADV or 640E. Probably save gearbox issues down the road..
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #30
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
I'm not sure what the SXC comes with for stock fork and shock springs but, if your installing a larger fuel tank and adding luggage you'll need to re-spring the bike.

Also, Cjracer offers a hardened water pump shaft for the LC8 motors, maybe if there's enough interest we could talk him into doing a special run of LC4 hardened shafts?

Hipster screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:21 AM
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote