ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #31
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,133
Put a grease nipple on the suspension linkage bearings that are in the frame.

Have a good trip!!
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #32
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,486
I'm in too. :

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)

Kawidad screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 08:32 AM
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Unless I missed it and your bike has one already (but being an earlier SXC probably not) is a cush drive rear hub as on an ADV or 640E. Probably save gearbox issues down the road..
this is one of my things to do for sure, i have been looking at RAD manufacturing to make up a set of rims for me, little spendy but way cheaper than transmission replacement
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #34
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
I'm not sure what the SXC comes with for stock fork and shock springs but, if your installing a larger fuel tank and adding luggage you'll need to re-spring the bike.

Also, Cjracer offers a hardened water pump shaft for the LC8 motors, maybe if there's enough interest we could talk him into doing a special run of LC4 hardened shafts?
respringing (is that a word) is a must, original spec shows the bike is set up for rider of around 160 lbs, well he won't be riding it i will and i top the scales at about 240 with gear

i was toild about this company for suspension needs http://www.stillwellperformance.com/main/

I met CJ at Dust to Dawson a few years back when i was riding back from Prudhoe Bay, he said if i ever need anything made for any bike let him know....
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #35
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Put a grease nipple on the suspension linkage bearings that are in the frame.

Have a good trip!!
do you have a photo of where you put yours? good to have you along
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #36
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I'm in too. :

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #37
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hipster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Mpls, Mn.
Oddometer: 1,694
Re-spring/ re-sprung Slavens racing is another option for springs http://www.slavensracing.com/shop/fo...tm-husaberg-wp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
respringing (is that a word) is a must, original spec shows the bike is set up for rider of around 160 lbs, well he won't be riding it i will and i top the scales at about 240 with gear

i was toild about this company for suspension needs http://www.stillwellperformance.com/main/

I met CJ at Dust to Dawson a few years back when i was riding back from Prudhoe Bay, he said if i ever need anything made for any bike let him know....
__________________
2008 KTM 990 Adv & 2007 KTM 640 Adv
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Re-spring/ re-sprung Slavens racing is another option for springs http://www.slavensracing.com/shop/fo...tm-husaberg-wp
good to have options thanks for the link
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
fastdadio
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,655
[QUOTE=huzar;20782159]Really enjoyed your ride report, so I think I'll lurk here and watch the prep

[/QUOTE
+1, As usual, I'm lurking on all things Lc4. Nice snag on the SXC. It is one beautiful bike!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #40
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
this is one of my things to do for sure, i have been looking at RAD manufacturing to make up a set of rims for me, little spendy but way cheaper than transmission replacement
Or maybe take a look at DID Dirt Star rims. Very highly regarded over Excel and others.

Good group of KTM experts here. Have fun with the build!

Does your BST Mikuni have an extended Fuel/Air screw? Very handy, easy adjust at altitude for better starting, idle and low speed running. Helps with MPG too.
(The DR650 has the same carb ... so I've messed around with them a bit)
You can try different needle tapers too. Put some sort of decent (but NOT restrictive) fuel filter as BST pilots clog easily. (carry a spare pilot jet)
If tuned properly you should get decent performance ... and good MPG. (open air box top helps on the DR)

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 10:10 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #41
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Hi Paul,

Congrats on the new bike, looks like you lucked out in finding such a low miles version... With only 500 miles, the engine isn't even fully broke in yet...

It's a shame the SXC did not come with extra oil in the frame tube like the Adventure and E models... Adding extra oil capacity would be a good idea for what you intend to use the bike for, you could copy the plumbing that the Adventure has and rig a tank or oil cooler into the system... You can tie into the line that comes off the remote oil filter and throw you extra capacity between there and where the line pushes oil into the left side case and into the con rod...

At your current mileage you should be good for another 25,000 before you have to think about any kind of in depth service... Personally I rebuild the water pump and change the intake rocker roller at around 40,000 KM and have found that both of these items still have service life left at that point... On your RTW it would be a good idea to carry these parts in your spares kit as they don't take up much room and you will have them in case you suffer a premature failure...

Your seat will depend on what kind of tank you pick up... The 18 liter tank needs a seat that has the key way front that fits into the tanks molding... If you luck out and find an Adventure 25-28 liter tank then you will need the specific seat for that application... I like the stock comfort seat that came with my 03 Adventure and really had no desire to go aftermarket, but I wondered about it for the first while as it took a long time for the foam to break in...

There really isn't a chronic problem with the frame backbone vent exiting into the airbox... A grossly overfilled engine may cause oil to vent into the box or top end damage can also can cause this condition, other than that I can think of no other case where this happens... If you do notice oil in the box just pull the plug and roll the wheel, the lube in the box will now lube your chain...

He may actually have a frame with oil... In the US they only imported 03-04 SXC's which I have and they lack the quart in the frame reservoir some European and Australian bikes do. He mentioned the word Carnet so Im assuming he is not from North America

I have used both the 18 ltr and 28 ltr (actually I use the 2001 adv tank which has a 30 ltr) and for what you plan I would go with (if you can find it) the 28 liter hardpart acerbis tank. Skip the faring but if you have to then you will have to get the carrier parts and weld a bracket on the head tube then use a oem 28 tank and adventure faring.

as far as wheels
Just buy the 02 LC4 OEM cush wheel complete (and carrier)with the wider DID Dirtstar 2.50 rim . Keep your front .. respring both front and rear.
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #42
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Or maybe take a look at DID Dirt Star rims. Very highly regarded over Excel and others.

Good group of KTM experts here. Have fun with the build!

Does your BST Mikuni have an extended Fuel/Air screw? Very handy, easy adjust at altitude for better starting, idle and low speed running. Helps with MPG too.
(The DR650 has the same carb ... so I've messed around with them a bit)
You can try different needle tapers too. Put some sort of decent (but NOT restrictive) fuel filter as BST pilots clog easily. (carry a spare pilot jet)
If tuned properly you should get decent performance ... and good MPG. (open air box top helps on the DR)
thanks i'll look into the rims and as the post after yours says the stock cush drive rear wheel is a good option with the 2.50 rim

once i pull the carb off i can note what i have and get spares from there onwards
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #43
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: round the world
Oddometer: 1,628
yep i'm here in the US not far from you actually, i'm in Vegas, so the bike is a US model and no oil in frame i do know a guy locally who has a 640A so i will look at his and see the oil line routing and create an auxiliary tank to up the capacity

the 28 liter was the option i was going to go with, but may have to relocate and reweld the mounts or use spaces as it is made for the FCR carb not the BST...once i get it i will know for sure, i'll also be adding a 1 gallon (3.78liter) rotopax to the rear opposite the exhaust can and use the mounting structure to additionally add strength and structure to the sub frame

do you know if the cush drive hub is still available from any vendors? as for changing rims and relacing i can do that myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
He may actually have a frame with oil... In the US they only imported 03-04 SXC's which I have and they lack the quart in the frame reservoir some European and Australian bikes do. He mentioned the word Carnet so Im assuming he is not from North America

I have used both the 18 ltr and 28 ltr (actually I use the 2001 adv tank which has a 30 ltr) and for what you plan I would go with (if you can find it) the 28 liter hardpart acerbis tank. Skip the faring but if you have to then you will have to get the carrier parts and weld a bracket on the head tube then use a oem 28 tank and adventure faring.

as far as wheels
Just buy the 02 LC4 OEM cush wheel complete (and carrier)with the wider DID Dirtstar 2.50 rim . Keep your front .. respring both front and rear.
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #44
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,133
Add the grease nipple on the left to grease the bearings in the frame as these bearings take a beating and will wear out quickly. They can also be hard to get out......................

__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat

Droptarotter screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:13 PM
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #45
davesupreme
grand poobah
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: palm harbor, fla
Oddometer: 1,216
i put a big bike cush rear, 4.25" on my 450 SMR, and i also got a cush hub used from Woody's that i strung up w/a 2.50" rim for a dirt conversion... you gotta look around for a used one, they don't come up much.... the used one i got from Woody's was a RAD one, i think.... nice piece, it's a billet copy of the cast KTM hub.... both are nice, and they really transform the bike if you don't have one, real snatchy w/out it..... i'm suprised that that bike doesn't have a cush hub now, i thought they were stock on the big bikes?....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014