Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #27496
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 38,984
Self punted from the show us your bicycle thread

Guess this is the best place to ask a bicycle question? Anyone know what make of tricycle would be worth getting for my 19+ year old daughter? We've looked at a few so far but there doesn't really seem to be any difference in them with the exception of the price. We had hoped to get her something with two wheels out front and at best a 3 speed sturmey-archer type gear set in the rear because she probably wouldn't be able to handle derailleur type gears.

Thanks

Jeff

My daughter is handicapped and has a hard time balancing on a regular bicycle (even though she can ski).
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #27497
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Guess this is the best place to ask a bicycle question? Anyone know what make of tricycle would be worth getting for my 19+ year old daughter? We've looked at a few so far but there doesn't really seem to be any difference in them with the exception of the price. We had hoped to get her something with two wheels out front and at best a 3 speed sturmey-archer type gear set in the rear because she probably wouldn't be able to handle derailleur type gears.

Thanks

Jeff

My daughter is handicapped and has a hard time balancing on a regular bicycle (even though she can ski).
It sounds like you're looking for a recumbent, like a Catrike. Take a look around bentrideronline.com (BROL). There is a directory, at the top of the page, with pretty much every brand available. Pricing has a lot to do with construction and level of components. I'm not an expert, but, join and search BROL and the folks there will be happy to answer your questions.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #27498
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It sounds like you're looking for a recumbent, like a Catrike. Take a look around bentrideronline.com (BROL). There is a directory, at the top of the page, with pretty much every brand available. Pricing has a lot to do with construction and level of components. I'm not an expert, but, join and search BROL and the folks there will be happy to answer your questions.

Or..a plain old schwinn.

Which would it be? The Schwinn is a much different pitch, obviously. The recumbent is meant to take you places. The Schwinn is meant for you to enjoy a quick trip into town, or a nice cruise along the boardwalk.

Which is it?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #27499
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Self punted from the show us your bicycle thread

Thanks

Jeff

Classic Bob Jackson trike, will work w/ Sturmey Archer, but the wheel pair is at the rear.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #27500
vfr700
172S

...also, Shimano is releasing their Alfine 8sp internal hub in Di2 (electronic shifting). Shifts are via a micro switch, which would be good for folks with physical limitations. http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...ictures-33229/
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #27501
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,894
I know of a side-by side bike set up, Grandy Pedal Partner. My dad has and wants to sell.

I think he has changed the bikes since I took these.
So maybe just the parts that make this work are all one needs.

The pieces break down pretty small. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Most of the three wheelers I've seen that are two front wheels are derailleur types and very low to the ground. They look like a lot of fun to me.
The more upright traditional tricycle types around the retirement parks could be found around as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #27502
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Awesome bike!

We got ~5 inches in 3hrs, yesterday. We had pretty good winds that drifted everything. My snowblower has a 12" auger and most every driveway I cleared, last night, was right at the top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
NICE

I *love* my Cannondale (although it's not as nice as yours).
Thanks!
It's my fourth Cannondale (I still have two of the others), but my first carbon, and my first not made in the USA

I wanted something comfortable and reasonbly fast, or maybe fast, yet reasonably comfortable...hopefully it fits the bill.

I just registered for this yesterday: http://ironmanbikeride.org/ With any luck, the snow will be gone by then.

And from the world of ironies, last year when I picked up my new v-strom from the dealer someone backed into my car. Yesterday, when I picked up the Cannondale, someone backed into my car...

edit- Here's the other two:

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 10:10 AM
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #27503
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,164
Quote:
Awesome bike!

We got ~5 inches in 3hrs, yesterday. We had pretty good winds that drifted everything. My snowblower has a 12" auger and most every driveway I cleared, last night, was right at the top of it.
I guess I shouldn't bitch then, huh? No snow round here to speak of this winter.

I just got in from 3hrs. Managed to ride around most of the weather. Got in just as it was starting to rain. ...with a layer of ice on my booties! Thank doG for Gore Tex!

Edited to add: I don't know of any non-'bent tricycles with 2 wheels up front. If you google J&B Importers catalog, there's a selection of Sun trikes that pretty much any LBS can order. They're OK. They're not very high quality, but it doesn't sound like it'll get ridden that hard. HTH

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 10:05 AM
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #27504
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I know of a side-by side bike set up, Grandy Pedal Partner. My dad has and wants to sell.

I have to say...that is *awesome*! The one thing about taking the bikes into town on Sunday morning that I always notice is that we're screaming to talk to each other. This'd make an awesome sunday rider
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #27505
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,894
I have considered taking this kit off my dad's hands and updating it slightly to fit my mtb and one of the beach cruisers with gears that lives in the ceiling of my garage. Then my wife and I could waddle about on the beach bike path.
Need a cupholder for my generic-look adult beverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I have to say...that is *awesome*! The one thing about taking the bikes into town on Sunday morning that I always notice is that we're screaming to talk to each other. This'd make an awesome sunday rider
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #27506
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Thanks!
It's my fourth Cannondale (I still have two of the others), but my first carbon, and my first not made in the USA

I wanted something comfortable and reasonbly fast, or maybe fast, yet reasonably comfortable...hopefully it fits the bill.

I just registered for this yesterday: http://ironmanbikeride.org/ With any luck, the snow will be gone by then.

And from the world of ironies, last year when I picked up my new v-strom from the dealer someone backed into my car. Yesterday, when I picked up the Cannondale, someone backed into my car...

edit- Here's the other two:

I am really sorry that you own such crappy bikes. Send them to me - I am such a good friend, I will take them off your hands for you and make sure you never have to lay eyes on those POSs again. For free, even!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #27507
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,164
Honking SOB outside Boulder update

M
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #27508
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 38,984
Awesome replies

I'm kind of taken by this model. But it looks like it would be a heavy old thing to hustle around.

So something like this but maybe a bit lighter and with real brakes. The other thought I had was to buy a yard sale bike or two and break out the mig welder - but I wouldn't want to subject my little one to my welding skills (or lack of them).
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #27509
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I am really sorry that you own such crappy bikes. Send them to me - I am such a good friend, I will take them off your hands for you and make sure you never have to lay eyes on those POSs again. For free, even!
That would probably make my wife very happy she doesn't know about the latest one, yet.

I'm considering taking a hiatus from motos for a year or two to appease her a bit, and because I'm not really having the time for both hobbies, especially with a two year old at home...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #27510
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Awesome replies

I'm kind of taken by this model. But it looks like it would be a heavy old thing to hustle around.

So something like this but maybe a bit lighter and with real brakes. The other thought I had was to buy a yard sale bike or two and break out the mig welder - but I wouldn't want to subject my little one to my welding skills (or lack of them).
Or the Bakfiet trike @ http://bakfiets.nl/eng/modellen/cargotrike/large/ :

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: