Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #27511
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Awesome replies

I'm kind of taken by this model. But it looks like it would be a heavy old thing to hustle around.

So something like this but maybe a bit lighter and with real brakes. The other thought I had was to buy a yard sale bike or two and break out the mig welder - but I wouldn't want to subject my little one to my welding skills (or lack of them).
I saw a chick at the local dog park come screaming down the hillside in one of those, like her hair was on fire; she had her dog in the front and that dog looked like he was having the time of his life.

If you're even remotely handy with a welder, then this book might be the answer. I'm at work (and my copy's at home) but I think there's some decent instructions in there for some stuff that might work. ETA; He's got a website - http://atomiczombie.com/

Whatever you decide, POST PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop
That would probably make my wife very happy she doesn't know about the latest one, yet.

I'm considering taking a hiatus from motos for a year or two to appease her a bit, and because I'm not really having the time for both hobbies, especially with a two year old at home...
Well you know you could send me your motos too, what can I say, I'm a giving guy....
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #27512
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I saw a chick at the local dog park come screaming down the hillside in one of those, like her hair was on fire; she had her dog in the front and that dog looked like he was having the time of his life.

If you're even remotely handy with a welder, then this book might be the answer. I'm at work (and my copy's at home) but I think there's some decent instructions in there for some stuff that might work. ETA; He's got a website - http://atomiczombie.com/

Whatever you decide, POST PICS

Well you know you could send me your motos too, what can I say, I'm a giving guy....
Thanks - will post some pics as soon as we've figured out what to get her. There looks like there's some pretty neat plans on that site.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #27513
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
And from the world of ironies, last year when I picked up my new v-strom from the dealer someone backed into my car. Yesterday, when I picked up the Cannondale, someone backed into my car...
If it's any consolation, I got hit Nov 11th and am still dealing with it. I just spent an hour scanning and sending more paperwork to the claims investigator. Ugh! Props to State Farm, though, as they cut me a check for my total loss within a couple days. They told me they'd handle the other driver's insurance company and to not worry about it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #27514
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
If it's any consolation, I got hit Nov 11th and am still dealing with it. I just spent an hour scanning and sending more paperwork to the claims investigator. Ugh! Props to State Farm, though, as they cut me a check for my total loss within a couple days. They told me they'd handle the other driver's insurance company and to not worry about it.
Yeah this is nothing that serious, except the guy didn't give me any insurance info. He said he wanted to take care of it himself. I just had the estimate done and it was a hair over $2k. We'll see if he ponies up or not. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because he was at a bike shop . he had an out of state DL though, which came across as kind of sketchy. The people at the shop seemed to know him.

Worse case scenario: I turn it into my insurance and let them go after him...

Well, as I was typing this the guy called and offered to bring out cash tomorrow morning.

-edit- the guy showed up too. With a wad of cash.

2whl-hoop screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 03:26 PM
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #27515
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I guess I shouldn't bitch then, huh? No snow round here to speak of this winter.

I just got in from 3hrs. Managed to ride around most of the weather. Got in just as it was starting to rain. ...with a layer of ice on my booties! Thank doG for Gore Tex!
Snow day today! Snowbird powder yesterday, Seattle cement today, with a fine crust like a crème brulée.

Snowman convention

Steep and deep, but the street's cleared

Giant slalom
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #27516
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Self punted from the show us your bicycle thread

Guess this is the best place to ask a bicycle question? Anyone know what make of tricycle would be worth getting for my 19+ year old daughter? We've looked at a few so far but there doesn't really seem to be any difference in them with the exception of the price. We had hoped to get her something with two wheels out front and at best a 3 speed sturmey-archer type gear set in the rear because she probably wouldn't be able to handle derailleur type gears.

Thanks

Jeff

My daughter is handicapped and has a hard time balancing on a regular bicycle (even though she can ski).
These guys are in Alameda, Ca. and they make some very cool stuff from High wheelers to trikes.

Good luck in finding something for her.

http://www.hiwheel.com/tricycles/index.htm

IMAGES OF THEIR STUFF
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #27517
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles View Post
These guys are in Alameda, Ca. and they make some very cool stuff from High wheelers to trikes.

Good luck in finding something for her.

http://www.hiwheel.com/tricycles/index.htm

IMAGES OF THEIR STUFF
from what he has described, i think the junior port-o-trike would be perfect for her! has an option of a 3 spd hub and coaster brakes...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #27518
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is tomorrow AM. If I have the maths right, it starts at 0545 DC time and ends somewhere around 1045 DC time.

Check www.cyclingfans.com for specifics (once they list em!)

If you don't already have some, Gore Bike Wear stuff rawks. Thought I'd point out (again) that between the sleet and rain, I came back to the house with booties covered in ice and was completely dry. I wasn't even wearing my 'waterproof' jacket. Only the Windstopper Phantom jacket.

M
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #27519
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
I saw my first Pedersen bike today.

Very different.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #27520
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
from what he has described, i think the junior port-o-trike would be perfect for her! has an option of a 3 spd hub and coaster brakes...
Holicow that's crucial!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #27521
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I saw my first Pedersen bike today.
I've seen those, or something very similar. all thin stay sized tubing. looked a little whippy to me, I dunno. but I didn't ride it, for all I know, its really stiff. the one I saw had a more normal handlebar on it.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #27522
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Carbon Salsa Beargrease, coming soon!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #27523
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Carbon Salsa Beargrease, coming soon!

There is a funny story behind that.... According to Quali.... er, I mean Salsa. There is no market for that bike.
Then some little company called Minneapolis Bicycle Company showed this and all of the sudden... POOF! There IS a market afterall.

Story here: MPLS Murphy

There is more, but I will save you the drama. Let me just say Q is NOT happy....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #27524
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
There is a funny story behind that.... According to Quali.... er, I mean Salsa. There is no market for that bike.
Then some little company called Minneapolis Bicycle Company showed this and all of the sudden... POOF! There IS a market afterall.

There is more, but I will save you the drama. Let me just say Q is NOT happy....
That's a cool bike.

Well, I hope QBP doesn't do something stupid like the Specialized/Volagi debacle.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #27525
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

Story here: MPLS Murphy

We're back to elevated chainstays eh? I'm gonna re introduce the roller cam brake, and friction shifting. I have nothing against elevated stays, they give vertical compliance and horizontal stiffness, or is it horizontal compliance and vertical stiffness, or no stiffness, or....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: