User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #61
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,764
Hardcore rally training to test the equipment I'll use in Tunisia yesterday:

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,000
nice
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #63
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,992
IN!!!!

Go Ned!!! And If You See Kay, tell her I said Hi!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #64
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Brown Santa just came!

Everyone who orders a shirt will also get a few of each of 3 sticker designs...
Steekers!!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #65
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Hardcore rally training to test the equipment I'll use in Tunisia yesterday:
And Ned answers his next challenge: Time travel! Prognostication!

Speaking of gear, I just picked up an F4 and was thinking about a Bell... What your take on the Bell Moto 9? How do the Arietes compare to other goggles?

Gotta get a t-shirt...
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #66
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
Hey what is your take on the 2's fit, is it the same as the first model?
So far, my experience consists of riding a TTR around a parking lot in the snow. So I hesitate to have too strong an opinion... but they seem to fit very much like the original crossfires, I was completely comfortable in 30 minutes. Some nice upgrades like better buckles... Overall, they seem like an evolution of something that was already great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
Speaking of gear, I just picked up an F4 and was thinking about a Bell... What your take on the Bell Moto 9?
I really like the Bell. Some standout features include magnetic retention for cheekpads and chin strap dangly bit, really nice materials for the liner, and overall very light weight. This last is a gift that keeps on giving- it weighs much less than my previous Shoei, and over a long day, that starts to be apparent in a lack of strain/ fatigue. Also, it has no vents on top, which is great if you ride in brush as I often do.

Helmet fit is clearly a personal thing, for me, it's great, but obviously try one on. If it fits, I think you'll find it's a really nice helmet.

Quote:
How do the Arietes compare to other goggles?

Gotta get a t-shirt...
Yes you do!

When I tried on the Arietes, I have never gone back to any other goggle. I actually don't wear the very top of the line model, it has more curvature than my face does. The middle range all fit my face great, and I have substantially less fogging issues than I had with Scott, Spy, or Oakley, which were what I used previously.

Things I like: high quality foam against your face, fit, lack of fogging, lens are all interchangeable (I love Blue Sky and Blue Creek tints), and great customer service @ MX1West (the US importer for Ariete). The foam around the frame is a good density as well, I haven't been forced to resort to baby oiling to keep the back of the lens getting dusty. All in all, they strike me as a higher quality option than other big brands.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #67
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,501
Got my shirt and stickers today. Thanks Ned. Go get 'em.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #68
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
Time travel! Prognostication!
Just caught this.

Jim, I'll be thinking of you!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #69
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Good Luck Ned

In for two shirts. If you don't like the price to ship one shirt, buy two, maybe even three. The cost per shirt goes down, and you WILL eventually need another shirt.

Good luck with the ride.

Richard
GS eh! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #70
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,823
And he's off to the races!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #71
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Ned,
Thanks for adopting me into your team. I'll be dragging a tired 10-year old XR through the desert on this one. Why not?
Sid Milton was one of our team's original mechanics and he wrenched on bikes for us in the Dakar from 2006 to 2010. Last year, Sid and I started talking about the Tuareg. Originally, we thought that we'd ride our bikes from his home in the UK all the way to the rally and back. Then his friend Colin, another of our team Dakar mechanics, decided to come along and drive Sid's van in a support capacity. Mikey Krynock, who rode the Dakar in 2006 with us, decided to come along. Before long, Dave Peckham asked if he could ride in the van too and support some RMS customers out of it. The team grew. Finally, Ned jumped aboard and we suddenly had Sponsors, t-shirts, fans. No longer just a hairball ride for Sid and me. I'm still going on the cheap, however. Planning to work on my own bike, sleeping in a tent next to it.
See this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=44

fun fun
Charlie

lastplace screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 08:44 PM
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #72
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,000
Thats awesome CHarlie, have big fun.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #73
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,097
Just to let you all know that I shall also be attending the Tuareg Rally myself next month in a press & PR capacity, and will be supporting Ned and Jean-Luc personally, together with the whole RMS supported / If You See Kay Wine team!

This Personal Media Service will including daily updates direct from the bivouac on their progress (and results), photos and even audio interviews!

My aim is to provide a candid insight into what it takes to compete in an International desert rally from a competitor's perspective, and I'll also be in a unique position to highlight the behind-the-scenes work that goes on with the assistance crew from Rally Management Services - to ensure each rider makes the start the following morning...

I have started a dedicated Event Coverage and Media thread for the Tuareg Rally here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865985 and will be updating there daily with all the news, together with the individual press releases & photos which I shall also copy here of course!

Please subscribe to the Media thread for the very latest info, direct from the bivouac!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #74
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
The best thing that any of us can do to support grass-roots rally racers is to let the sponsors know. Buy a case of IYSK wine. Put a Renazco seat on your bike or buy something from renazcoracing. Find out who sponsors the riders you are following. Good stuff anyway. Then send them an email and let them know why you spent your money. These companies are involved mainly because they are also fans. But, if they see an actual return on investment, they'll keep doing it. Word gets around and sponsors beget more sponsors. Who knows, maybe someday one of them will help pay some of your rally expenses too!

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #75
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Thanks for adopting me into your team.
pretty sure you adopted me!

Charlie's right- the best thing that you all can do for us is "like" IYSK wine on facebook, and find the wine at the liquor store. It's really great stuff!

For me, Rally is about more than just rally, it's a great excuse for all kinds of fun, like making rats nests of wiring on your previously simple dirtbike and traveling to exotic foreign locations. When I learned that adding Rome as a stopover destination barely increased the cost of my plane ticket, it took approximately 2.2 milliseconds to decide that needed to happen. I called Mountainman (who lives in EU these days) and he agreed to come down to meet me for a little mancation.

Photos to follow, but so far we have proven that italian food does not suck, Manuel Lucchese is as awesome in person as online, and Rome is even more cool than I thought it would be. Pretty exhausting work!