Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Junkster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
1985 XL250R Engine Ticking

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I just picked up a 1985 XL250R for a good deal. There is a tick that sounds like it is coming from the top end. I picked up a genuine Honda shop manual off eBay and performed a valve adjustment, making sure that the decompression lever wasn't in the way. The ticking got a little quieter, but was still there. I decided to start disassembling the top end and remove the right side engine cover to expose the cam chain and tensioner. I have a few questions before I go any farther.

I'm not sure how to remove the clutch without using Honda's required tool? is there a trick for this?

I can't get the pin in the tensioner. It seems like the chain is so worn that the tensioner is bowed out to much. I tried to pry the bow back in while pushing down on the stopper and still can't get the hole exposed. what am I missing?

As far as cam wear and rocker wear...they look pretty bad. I think they need replacing. Where is the best place to get these parts from. I was under the impression that an 84-85 XR250 cam would work. I'm assuming that this cam maybe has a little more duration for increased power? It seems difficult to find a good used XL cam. I maybe better off finding a XR cam if they fit without modification.

Any help on removing the clutch and tensioner would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Junkster
Junkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Junkster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Here is a link to how loose the cam chain is. Do ya'll think it's too loose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcXrpT-auY

Thanks, Junkster
Junkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,648
My opinion,

It's a Honda, put it back together and keep it full of oil and run the snot out of it, it'll run forever!

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,807
Somebody ran it out of oil, wearing down the cam and rockers. With a valve adjustment, they might could be brought back into spec and quiet down, but with the hardened outer layer worn away, they'll wear again pretty quickly.

Bike Bandit and other online parts retailer may be able to source parts, but they'll be pretty pricey. Keep an eye out on eBay. It may take some time, even weeks or months, but keep at it... they'll turn up eventually.

Motion Pro makes a good clutch removal tool... holds the inner hub so you can break the big nut loose.

I'm no help with the tensioner, sorry. I haven't fiddled with mine ('87 XL250R).
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Somebody ran it out of oil, wearing down the cam and rockers. With a valve adjustment, they might could be brought back into spec and quiet down, but with the hardened outer layer worn away, they'll wear again pretty quickly.

Bike Bandit and other online parts retailer may be able to source parts, but they'll be pretty pricey. Keep an eye out on eBay. It may take some time, even weeks or months, but keep at it... they'll turn up eventually.

Motion Pro makes a good clutch removal tool... holds the inner hub so you can break the big nut loose.

I'm no help with the tensioner, sorry. I haven't fiddled with mine ('87 XL250R).
So what you are saying is, parts aren't easy to find for these? I have looked at enough of these locally to know cracked heads are a huge problem. I found one myself I want to buy, but .. cracked head. Are you able to repair these things? Is there a guru who welds them? Or are buyers condemned to swapping out those motors with crappy Chinese copies?
Kawazacky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
it looks like my cafe racer engine which is 233cc honda twin, the cam chain, has a pin at the bottom of it, im still working otu how to get it, but i believe you need to remove the head to get the tentioner out...
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Somebody ran it out of oil, wearing down the cam and rockers.
This is definitely what happened. Look at the rockers, they're not supposed to be worn where they contact the cam. Just got done with this on an XR650L.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
So what you are saying is, parts aren't easy to find for these? I have looked at enough of these locally to know cracked heads are a huge problem. I found one myself I want to buy, but .. cracked head. Are you able to repair these things? Is there a guru who welds them? Or are buyers condemned to swapping out those motors with crappy Chinese copies?
Well, it is an engine that hasn't been produced for many years. The supply of spare parts is getting lower all the time.

For a guru, PM Cycle Wizard about re-welding a head. He's a clever devil: http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=59337
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote