Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
STLrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Import to USA advice please

Hello ADV from BsAs,
Bought/titled my wee strom in Colombia, rode to Ushuaia then up to BA where it will be air shipped to Miami or Houston. Seeking advice on what the import process will be upon arrival to USA for a moto with a Colombia plate and title. Also, how big a hurdle is the "no personal items can be shipped with the bike" policy? Thanks
STLrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
This is a bike you bought new or used in Colombia? If it's a new bike you could have big problems registering it in the US due to a non-US market VIN and EPA non-compliance. That could be a complete no-go unless Suzuki sells US market bikes in Colombia that have all the required EPA mandated emissions crap on them. I would really doubt that though. Good luck.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 09:29 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
STLrider OP
Adventurer

Bought it used. A 2008 model assembled in Colombia. The VIN has same appearance as bikes in the States
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Without the EPA certs you could be SOL. For a bike to get titled in the US you need to be able to show them the MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin). The MSO has to certify that the bike is in compliance with all EPA regulations in place at the time of it's manufacture. Yours won't have that. You might get lucky and get one of the more clueless DOL employees and slip it by, but I wouldn't bet on it. Your best bet would be looking for a US titled frame to migrate all your parts onto.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
The only way to import your bike is by Temporary Admission up to one year in the U.S.

Most probably Customs is going to request an EPA LETTER OF EXEMPTION but if you are importing the bike through Miami international airport, they won't ask for that letter.
Getting the letter is a 3-5 days process and it comes from Michigan.

Other than that, you need Form for unaccompanied baggage, title and your personal documents.

The best suitable way for you is bring the bike and have it here for less than a year. Export it again to a close country , or rode across the border and comeback again. Or sell the bike abroad and buy another one in the U.S.
Trying to convert the bike ot a US standards will be a headache and all kind of red tape with EPA.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net

GastonUSAChile screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 07:12 PM
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
STLrider OP
Adventurer

the previous two posts conflict with what i am reading on the CBP.gov website. it appears from the website that a bill of sale or title will work instead of a MSO. also, per the website the duty would be a very reasonable $200 USD. IF the bike was manufactured to US EPA standards i might give it a go....i will contact Suzuki to find out.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLrider View Post
Hello ADV from BsAs,
Bought/titled my wee strom in Colombia, rode to Ushuaia then up to BA where it will be air shipped to Miami or Houston. Seeking advice on what the import process will be upon arrival to USA for a moto with a Colombia plate and title. Also, how big a hurdle is the "no personal items can be shipped with the bike" policy? Thanks
I don't know but if I were you I'd expect the process to be costly and a major PITA.

Let us know how it works out.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
the previous two posts conflict with what i am reading on the CBP.gov website. it appears from the website that a bill of sale or title will work instead of a MSO. also, per the website the duty would be a very reasonable $200 USD. IF the bike was manufactured to US EPA standards i might give it a go....i will contact Suzuki to find out.
You read this: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml and decided it would be easy and you won't need a MSO? I think you're dreaming, but I'm prepared to be proven wrong. I would definitely suggest a closer reading.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
CBP will tell you what you need to import something into the country. The DOT, DOL, NHTSC, and EPA will tell you what type of vehicle you're actually allowed to operate on American roads. CBP will let you import any vehicle you want. They don't care if it's actually legal to operate in the US. That's not their job. They only make sure you pay the appropriate duties on it. Put another way, CBP won't give you an American license plate for it. You'll need to get that somewhere else and they'll have their own long list of requirements.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 12:28 PM
Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Unless the bike is U.S. certificated with a sticker on the frame 'up to U.S. standard' any other bike, must be brought to such standards for appropriate import in the U.S. (except those bikes imported for temporary admission up to 1 year).

So, whoever is planning to do a import of a foreign bike into the U.S. better to quit. It will be time consuming, frustration and costly thing to get.
It is a lot cheaper, selling the bike in Colombia and buy one here for less money, then sell it and loose a little.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote