Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #31
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I have 2 sets of wheels for my mono, one set has tubeless tyres, the other tubed. Only difference is I can break the bead on the tube tyres with my foot, I need a bead breaker for the tubeless tyres.
ME 109, this is not a strange situation at all, it is simply the difference in the TIRES. Rims are the same, tires are different. They are designed that way - tube tires are easier to mount and remove (break the bead) because the TUBE holds the air, not the tire/bead seal. Tubeless tire fit on the rim tighly, it is harder to seat the bead and harder to break the bead because that must be sealed to hold air pressure.

So, tell me now... why do the Michelin tubeless tires work on my Lester wheels??? I dunno. They are a TIGHT fit and that bead is hard to seat!
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #32
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
It's just the owner of the Merc that you hit that I'm worried about!
Aha! I see your point. I'll smash that Merc to pieces, be dead, and Mr. Merc can sue my estate for all it is worth... thirteen dollars.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:48 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #33
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
ME 109, this is not a strange situation at all, it is simply the difference in the TIRES. Rims are the same, tires are different. They are designed that way - tube tires are easier to mount and remove (break the bead) because the TUBE holds the air, not the tire/bead seal. Tubeless tire fit on the rim tighly, it is harder to seat the bead and harder to break the bead because that must be sealed to hold air pressure.

So, tell me now... why do the Michelin tubeless tires work on my Lester wheels??? I dunno. They are a TIGHT fit and that bead is hard to seat!
In my experience it is not the tires. The same tubeless tire mounted on a tube type rim with a tube is easier to break the bead than the same tire on the same rim without a tube. Why? I don't know but that's what I have seen time and time again. Can you even still buy tube type only tires? It's been a while since I have noticed one.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
In my experience it is not the tires. The same tubeless tire mounted on a tube type rim with a tube is easier to break the bead than the same tire on the same rim without a tube. Why? I don't know but that's what I have seen time and time again. Can you even still buy tube type only tires? It's been a while since I have noticed one.
The kind I buy are labeled tube type only. I have run them without tubes, though. Getting them off the rim is much easier than getting them on, in my limited experience.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
ME 109, this is not a strange situation at all, it is simply the difference in the TIRES.
Ah, my mistake. I didn't pick up on the 'different tyres'
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you even still buy tube type only tires? It's been a while since I have noticed one.
I know Conti still sells the RB2 and K112 - don't know if they are tube only or if you can run them tubeless. I will look in to it.

edit: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...B2-K112_en.pdf
Looks like some are tubeless (TL) and some are tube type (TT). Our sizes, 3.25-19 & 4.00-18, are TUBELESS. My Michelin Pilot Activs say run tubeless on tubeless rims, and run with tube on tube-type rims. Deduction - it is not the tire, it is the rim. That is why I am running my Michelins TUBELESS on a tube type rim (old Lesters). Makes perfect sense, right?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 06:14 PM Reason: TL or TT
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #37
Johnny Locks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Worms, canned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjack63 View Post
Okay, as I have said earlier, I am new to the airhead world just acquiring an '81 R100RT. I bought new Metzlers at Motorcycle Superstore and took them to be installed by a fellow Patriot Guard member that has a motorcycle shop. He called me and asked if I knew that the old wheels and tires had tubes installed. I told him no, and that I thought the wheels were set up for tubeless tires, but I deferred to what he found when he removed the old tires. I thought the so called "snowflake" wheels were tubeless rims. Anyone with more knowledge than me care to comment? I went ahead and had him put tubes back in with the new tires. This old girl keeps throwing me curves as I restore her.
This question appears to have opened a can containing worms, though I have read and appreciated every reply.
Johnny Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Locks View Post
This question appears to have opened a can containing worms, though I have read and appreciated every reply.
It always does because it is a very important topic. Some are concerned with the law or freak occurrences and others are concerned with overall safety.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #39
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It always does because it is a very important topic. Some are concerned with the law or freak occurrences and others are concerned with overall safety.
I think the SAFETY issue should be our concern - we don't want anyone to have tire problems on a high speed sweeper. My posts are MY experiences and are merely anecdotal, and should be taken as such. I don't want to give anyone BAD information. The best info is... stick with the tire manufacturers recommendations - which I clearly have ignored.

edit: again, I have run TUBELESS on my Lesters for many hard mile with NO PROBLEMS. (again... anecdotal)
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:54 AM Reason: spell check
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #40
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,968
I've ridden the R65LS and the 84 R100 with snowflakes without tubes. But I can't tell you how they behaved punctured because that never happened. And it's not like I haven't ridden them much - for instance I rode the R100 from Portland Oregon to Tucson and back, and I ride the LS whenever it's not freezing or pouring down rain.