Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #1936
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
The Friday Hunter-Mtn Lippincott ride has filled up, and I made space for a couple more. If we get much more interest, we could potentially split into two groups if we have another willing ride leader. I'll be asking for folks to rotate sweep duty throughout the ride so everyone gets a chance to ride their own pace.

I am a bit concerned about the larger bikes on the ride, so I will be sending out a PM to those folks, to see if they are aware of the challenges of taking a bigger bike down Lippincott. Anything much bigger than a 650 might be challenging on Lippincott, and slow in other sections of the ride. This is a fairly long ride, so keeping up a good pace will be essential if we want to get back to camp in time for dinner.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #1937
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Just gave you the boot.
Didn't feel a thing I changed because someone said it's almost the same as the chio ride on Friday I am doing. Thanks.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #1938
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
The Friday Hunter-Mtn Lippincott ride has filled up, and I made space for a couple more. If we get much more interest, we could potentially split into two groups if we have another willing ride leader. I'll be asking for folks to rotate sweep duty throughout the ride so everyone gets a chance to ride their own pace.

I am a bit concerned about the larger bikes on the ride, so I will be sending out a PM to those folks, to see if they are aware of the challenges of taking a bigger bike down Lippincott. Anything much bigger than a 650 might be challenging on Lippincott, and slow in other sections of the ride. This is a fairly long ride, so keeping up a good pace will be essential if we want to get back to camp in time for dinner.
I will be down there the Saturday before on the 23rd I will take my time riding it, If its to hard for me or I don't have a good pace - I will bow out. I am hoping to ride it once before the rally though. Anyone else out there early?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #1939
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,401
Quote:

We have the same issue on the Saturday Cerro Gordo ride. At least one of the big bikes I'm aware of are pretty green and that is not the ride to learn technical offroad on with a big bike.

We are going to have to make about three groups out of ours. Some need to re-think or do an abreviated route. I have some ideas for an alternate for bigger bikes on our ride. Going out to the trams may not be do-able for some. They can still see Cerro Gordo and ride down to Saline.

Oh wait...you're one of the ride leaders. You get to herd some cats.

We went up Lippincott last year and it wasn't too bad. But that was Johngil and I on the Husky 630's. I wouldn't have wanted to be there on my Tiger. Going down is probly a little easier, but still a lot of loose rock and some steps. It can get washed out from rain too. All depends on how many 4x4's tramp it down. This is also not a place for noobs to learn big bike handling on tough terrain. It's a LONG way from camp. Ask Macadamia.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #1940
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, Grinchy jumped in there so I added another one for you.
peter doesn't let grass grow under his feet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
I can bring a dual burner Coleman camping stove and an LPG bottle. I won't know until later whether I'll have space to bring some wood.
we are good with the 4 commercial grills, but still bring yours to make your coffee and breakfast at your campsite. we have to borrow the LPG tank before dinner. thanks anthony.

nevertheless, we still need 2 volunteers, each one to haul 1/2 truck bed of wood.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #1941
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I rode down Lippincott 2 years ago on a lightly modded klr 650 and had my hands full. I consider myself a decent offroader and would not want to do it on anything bigger/ more expensive
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #1942
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Rich (M1),

Please take me off your Saturday ride. As much as I would love to ride, I am stuck in a cage. Although I will get to with Pablo some.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #1943
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:

I've contacted a few riders that are signed up on my rides to make sure they understand what they are getting into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
I will be down there the Saturday before on the 23rd I will take my time riding it, If its to hard for me or I don't have a good pace - I will bow out. I am hoping to ride it once before the rally though. Anyone else out there early?
The problem with Lippencott is that once you start it, you pretty much have to finish it, as there really isn't a place to turn around. Lots of rocks and a steep grades.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #1944
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Rich (M1),

Please take me off your Saturday ride. As much as I would love to ride, I am stuck in a cage. Although I will get to with Pablo some.
Will do, Bob. Get well bud and see you at the rally.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #1945
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,886
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
peter doesn't let grass grow under his feet....

we are good with the 4 commercial grills, but still bring yours to make your coffee and breakfast at your campsite. we have to borrow the LPG tank before dinner. thanks anthony.

nevertheless, we still need 2 volunteers, each one to haul 1/2 truck bed of wood.
No I don't do I.

I'll take a load of fire wood if there is a place to park the truck. I was riding in but can change to driving in with wood...

...either way let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #1946
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
Eek Lippencott

This is NOT the ride if you are a green rider on a larger bike. Once you start the loop down you cannot turn around it is a one way trip. This is an intermediate skill level ride on that portion.

You really need to understand that before taking on this road I was down it in November at it was in really bad shape much worse than last year.

Just sharing
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #1947
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Hello,

For all of the folks who have ridden Lippencott, IF, you have ridden Coyote Canyon in Anza, how does the rock section compare?
If you have not ridden it, will you Youtube and compare. Just the rock section of Coyote as the rest is
very easy but fun.

Thanks,

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 07:36 AM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #1948
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

For all of the folks who have ridden Lippencott, IF, you have ridden Coyote Canyon in Anza, how does the rock section compare?

Thanks,

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
The entire length of it is rocks all of it.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #1949
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Last year I rode up Lippencott to the racetrack with my DR350 and had no issues. My friend rode his KLR up Lippencott with no issues either. Like all riding take your time and look ahead for a line through the rocks.

Then again I better bring a camera, noob rides are the best for carnage .

SP
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #1950
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,362
Oooooh, I'm sport'n tremendous wood now!!!