ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #1111
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
2-Stroke Riding

Are there places out there to ride a 2-stroke? At the moment my EXC isn't tagged. Trying to get it through all the hoops here to be able to ride National Forest trails.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #1112
Dust Rider
Cuttin dust w/ the Dutch

Oddometer: 524
You need a spark arrestor, and a Montana Permanent registration sticker. registration sticker can be purchased at any DMV office in any county. I think it runs about $30. or so. Spark arrestor is the big thing, but you can find easy slip on types for a two smoke. i used to have a Cobra Sparky that just screwed onto existing two stroke exhaust. Once you have sparky and its registered you can go anywhere that is open to motorized use.
Dust Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1113
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
My 300 has a FMF silencer on it. It says on the outside that it contains a spark arrestor. So I just need the sticker, not actual plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Rider View Post
You need a spark arrestor, and a Montana Permanent registration sticker. registration sticker can be purchased at any DMV office in any county. I think it runs about $30. or so. Spark arrestor is the big thing, but you can find easy slip on types for a two smoke. i used to have a Cobra Sparky that just screwed onto existing two stroke exhaust. Once you have sparky and its registered you can go anywhere that is open to motorized use.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #1114
Dust Rider
Cuttin dust w/ the Dutch

Oddometer: 524
You dont need plates if you stay off the roads.You do need a plate to ride USFS roads. If it has a head light and tail light, cheap clip on mirror you are good to go for the most part. Registering a bike MT is about $125- 175.00, but It is a permanate plate as long as you own the bike here, and they give off road sticker free when plated.
Montana requires for street legal:
Headlight
taillight
brakelight
horn
mirror
speedometer.
Turn signals
My KTM XCF 450 has a flip up mirror, head and tail light, and speedo. I use hands signals for turn and brake, and have no horn, I take my chances and If I get a ticket so be it. It also depends on the Gal at the DMV that day. Some know bikes and others dont care what you register as long as you have money.
Dust Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #1115
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Rider View Post
Y
Turn signals
Converted a trail bike to street legal a coupla years ago, pretty sure you don't need turn signals. All else is true though.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #1116
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts View Post
Converted a trail bike to street legal a coupla years ago, pretty sure you don't need turn signals. All else is true though.
Right on Putts, no turn signals required.

The off road permit (sticker) costs $61.50 for MT residents. DMV also has a 30 day permit for non-residents - couldn't find the cost on DMV site
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1117
Cunning Linguist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
So tired of winter! Put bed-liner on the front plastics of the wee this past week. After putting it back together I just couldn't stand it and took it around the block a few times. New tire on the way, better weather can't get here fast enough!

Before:

After:
Cunning Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #1118
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,241

Well done!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #1119
90 wt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Laugh Hello 49! Meet up Saturday morning?

Don't pretend you haven't been looking at the forecast. Saturday is gonna be sweeeeet!

Anyone want to meet up at the Spotted Horse in Belgrade at 10am on Saturday? I'm gonna caffeinate, talk about motorcycles, even if I'm by myself, and then head north maybe to Maudlow afterwards.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1120
bologna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm interested...

[QUOTE=90 wt;Anyone want to meet up at the Spotted Horse in Belgrade at 10am on Saturday? I'm gonna caffeinate, talk about motorcycles, even if I'm by myself, and then head north maybe to Maudlow afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Hey, there, Monk. (okay, forgot your name...) I just put a new tire on my bike and think that it's ready to go. Meet you at 10 on Saturday at Spotted Horse. I'll PM or email you to give you contact info.

bologna
bologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1121
Cunning Linguist
Adventurer

I'm interested, gotta see if Nate @ the bike shop can fit me in to put on a new tire tomorrow, and then what the honey-do list may be at this point. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #1122
Cunning Linguist
Adventurer

Got a late start this morning, hope the coffee and ride were good.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #1123
90 wt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist View Post
Got a late start this morning, hope the coffee and ride were good.
Hey CL. The boys at the Spotted Horse serve up a mean cuppa joe. Always worth the drive. Met up with Bologna. He and I rode North from Dry Creek Rd about a mile or so past Pass Creek Rd. Still quite a bit of snow on the road and the bare spots were slick as pancake batter. We figured Maudlow wasn't in the cards today. Road back to Bozo via Pass Creek Rd and Rocky Mtn Rd for a little extra mud time.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #1124
Cunning Linguist
Adventurer

Since I didn't get going till around 2pm, I rode the Norris, pony, Cardwell loop. Stopped in Lahood for their prime rib bites (exceptional). A little gravel from 287 to Willow Creek too. Had to try out the new Heidenau
Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #1125
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning Linguist View Post
Heidenau
gesundheit!

The bed liner coating looks great. I've thought about it on my Wee as well and on a few (OK, MAAAANY) other projects. Just never got around to it. Once I finally gather everything up, I might put out a feeler for others wanting a few small odds and ends done. Would probably be more economical to get a few people together to spray a a few small things than one at a time. Then again, maybe they just hang the stuff up at the same time as they are doing a bed and hammer it all out at once.

Where did you get it done? What was the rough price (if you don't mind)? Or did you do it from a "home kit"?

By the way, in your second photo, you've shown your cards! I see your new NOS bottle in the foreground! A bit of fog could even make our little 650s perform like 750s no doubt!

Chadx screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 03:41 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote