Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #2281
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
If this beautiful bike does not have too much vibes for my old hands and the seat is comfier than my DL650 plus is more reliable than some of my friends 990 and other KTM`s then it is a chance I will find space for it.
A test ride would be nice. Just think it is amazing that it will cost so much more here than in Europe considering our exchange rate with the strong Australian dollar. A comparison test by a magazine/Internet with the XTZ1200 and the new GS1200 would be great! Cheers.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #2282
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I agree, however, the target group for the R1200GS will probably pass.
Main reason: No shaft drive, no Boxer, that alone excludes a KTM for me.
F800GS is a different issue, I'd prefer the KTM.
BMW competence is clearly road focused.
KTM focus is more off-road (even more so with the recent acquisition of Husqvarna from BMW).
KTM is 47% owned by Bajaj India and that is fine, however from brand perspective I prefer BMW
by a margin, I guess I'm biased :-)
I'm not so sure, Italy it's a very important market for the GS, it's redicolus how many of them you see in the streets. And now the ktm dealers are getting filled up with them.
My dealer has already 2 GS and 1 GSA is the showroom of people that left them there for winter hoping to sell them in order to buy the 1190.
Here the problem will be: how many used GS's will the KTM dealers be able to relocate in order to sell the 1190 adv ??
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #2283
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496

Another nice angle, this time from Spanish mag SoloMoto, which has a brief article online available in translation here, written after a second, local, ride on the model following the Tenerife launch.

They still liked it. An excerpt:

"In the absence of a long and exhaustive proof, we found a bike as comfortable and ergonomic as an R 1200 GS, but face when braking hard or changes of direction has the agility and nerve of the Multistrada."

Oh, and the article confirms the 30,000km valve check interval. Yum.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #2284
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
what a sound!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpaUVduM8M
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #2285
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Any one in Brisbane who ordered one? If so, was it Standar or "R"?
nikoktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #2286
Khayman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Swedish delivery time on the Adventure

Hi guys!

Thought I'd just chuck my eta as given by my dealer, in the mix. With a lot of preorders and me being somewhere in the middle I got second half of april from my dealer. Given our unfortunate geographical position it's unlikely that the roads will be clear before then anyways so not much to fret over.

Remains to be seen if that will change but ofc I'm very much hoping it won't be postponed, I'm aching to straddle that thing as it is

Cheers
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #2287
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
I'm not so sure, Italy it's a very important market for the GS, it's redicolus how many of them you see in the streets. And now the ktm dealers are getting filled up with them.
My dealer has already 2 GS and 1 GSA is the showroom of people that left them there for winter hoping to sell them in order to buy the 1190.
Here the problem will be: how many used GS's will the KTM dealers be able to relocate in order to sell the 1190 adv ??
Don't get me wrong, I like what KTM has done, an amazing step forward!
Personally I'm thinking Ducati will lose sales to KTM; Triumph and BMW to a much lesser extend.
In case of Southern Europe I'd imagine price playing a critical role.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #2288
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by moronic View Post
i prefer the "r" look also when unladen but there is something attractive in an all-business sort of way about the standard bike ("s" ?) when it is loaded up with the crash bar, tank bag and plastic luggage:

(pic: autoevolution.com)

i wonder whether kiska planned it that way. A good part of the improvement is the removal of the silver plates protecting the tank lowers, in favour of the crash bar.

The look is definitely growing on me. Enough to wonder whether it represents a bit of a leap that will take a while to get traction. Grudging appreciation in 10 years' time, and recognition as a classic in 20? (yes, i've always liked ducati's 999 )

from this angle and with the gear on, it makes the new gs look mincing and the multistrada effete, imo.

or have i drunk too much orange already?

On a related note: Does anybody know whether the non-electric suspension on the standard bike is at the same grade as that on the r? For example, the r appears to have concentric adjusters on the rear shock for high-speed and low-speed compression damping. Will the standard bike have the same, just with 30mm less travel?
+1
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #2289
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,339
The Jan/Feb issue of OTL (BMW RA magazine) has an article about BMW setting a record for sales in 2012 of 106,358 units.

KTM however beat them with 107,142.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #2290
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
If these two bikes (150hp and all) are anywhere near as successful for KTM, as the 1200MTS has been for Ducati, it'll be the start of a whole new chapter in KTM's mass marketing.

And those that want the shaft, will still get the shaft.

996DL
Let's just hope KTM USA gets their shit together and brings the bike to USA and enables enough dealers to get the bike on their showroom floors. I recall KTM a few years ago requiring US dealers to purchase a certain minimum number of street bikes per year in order for them to continue to carry the street bike line. As a result of this I think some US dealers had to drop the street KTMs from their showrooms.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #2291
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
And those that want the shaft, will still get the shaft.

996DL

coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #2292
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,106
Any manufacturer that's faced with marketing a game changer, also has to be prepared to step up to the plate, to satisfy the customer and dealers, with what might have to be a totally new approach in reliability, parts backup, STRONG warranty backing etc., yadda, yadda...

Ducati and the 1200MTS is of course, the extremely similar example...

Here's hoping KTM get's it right, funky company.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #2293
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
If this beautiful bike does not have too much vibes for my old hands and the seat is comfier than my DL650 plus is more reliable than some of my friends 990 and other KTM`s then it is a chance I will find space for it.
A test ride would be nice. Just think it is amazing that it will cost so much more here than in Europe considering our exchange rate with the strong Australian dollar. A comparison test by a magazine/Internet with the XTZ1200 and the new GS1200 would be great! Cheers.
Here in Finland the price will be, rumored 25000 AUD at least!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #2294
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
In Australia $AUD24500. I often compare prices with Sweden since I used to live there an it probably will cost around SKR140 000 for the R model, here it would be at least SKR20 000 more = around $AUD3K.

I thought it would be even more in Finland.

This piece of equipment would be a great machine the whole year around in Scandinavia especially with spikes on the tyre!

Might trade in my B-King & DL650 for this one pending a test ride.

I only have bad references from friends that had them and said never again about KTM but believe this model should be good mechanical and all the rest.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #2295
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
In Australia $AUD24500. I often compare prices with Sweden since I used to live there an it probably will cost around SKR140 000 for the R model, here it would be at least SKR20 000 more = around $AUD3K.

I thought it would be even more in Finland.

This piece of equipment would be a great machine the whole year around in Scandinavia especially with spikes on the tyre!

Might trade in my B-King & DL650 for this one pending a test ride.

I only have bad references from friends that had them and said never again about KTM but believe this model should be good mechanical and all the rest.
I've had KTM's for over 10 years: a EXC, a 950 and 990 ADV, all without issues. The build quality on them is equivalent to the German brands...
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote