Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #106
Adventure Matt
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Anyone try this yet on USA 2012 990 Adventure R ???

Would like to know If anyone has tried this yet on a USA model 2012 990 Adventure R? Is this mod even applicable to this new model year?

Mine seems hesitant to pull the front wheel up, but I assumed that was due more to the 230lbs it's hauling around on its topside... :)

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #107
Lemans1
n00b

Oddometer: 2
impact on fuel consumption

I am a newcomer to this thread since linked in from a new thread on UK KTM forum, you know usual things about lumpy running, common mods etc.

I have a 07 990adv which by all accounts will benifit from cutting/removing wires as detailed but...

What is impact on fuel consumption with standard cans and has anyone identified any problems/downsides of completing mod.

Otherwise it seems a no brainer!!!!!!

By the way 1st post, good to be here
Lemans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #108
pulpo2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Epc

I advriders,

First, Sorry for my english, Im from Chile.

So, this is the simple question:

I think is it more easy disconect de EPC with Tuneecu, just a click and download??? five minutes job??

Best Regards

Ricardo
pulpo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #109
harlan
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpo2011 View Post
I advriders,

First, Sorry for my english, Im from Chile.

So, this is the simple question:

I think is it more easy disconect de EPC with Tuneecu, just a click and download??? five minutes job??

Best Regards

Ricardo
Well, you would have to have the TuneECU for that to work.
Most people dont :)
harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #110
Lemans1
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This thread ran forever previously - must be somebody who has an opinion on the impact on fuel consumption or able to identify any negatives associated with Mod.
Lemans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #111
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Should improve engine efficiency and theoretically reduce fuel consumption

So there is some power limitation in neutral 1st and 2nd. The ECU can only control the spark timing (throttle is still controlled by a wire attached to your right hand). To reduce power it retards the spark which reduces power but uses the same amount of fuel (throttle and AFR has not changed).

So if you do the mod the bike is actually more efficient and for a given power will use less fuel.

BUT if this makes it so much fun to wheelie you will be opening the throttle a lot more and this will more than wipe out the (much) smaller benefits you had gained by increasing engine efficiency.

So do it and if you want to improve MPG try not to wheelie every where.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #112
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post

So do it and if you want to improve MPG try not to wheelie every where.
or go buy a Prius ;)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #113
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Matt View Post
Would like to know If anyone has tried this yet on a USA model 2012 990 Adventure R? Is this mod even applicable to this new model year?

Mine seems hesitant to pull the front wheel up, but I assumed that was due more to the 230lbs it's hauling around on its topside... :)

Thanks!
i just did this and can report some increase but not an insane amount. i was able to lift the front a little easier in 2nd with just a power twist and the engine seems to rev quicker in both 2nd and 3rd gear. worth doing, but it's not gonna make you power wheelie in all gears whenever you want....

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #114
Time2go
willing conjecturer

Oddometer: 43
not much change

I did this mod tonight on my otherwise stock 2010 990. Took it for a short test drive and really tried to pull the front end up through 2nd gear with just throttle. Very slight difference in pull from before, and probably worth the 15 mins it took but I didn't see much improvement.

I didn't notice any difference with throttle or a smoothing of power - will likely need more testing to prove that for me... and some money for exhaust and Akra map
Time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #115
Jerm
Soul Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
+1 fwiw

I just performed this mod today. It took about 15 minutes, but I had to resort to snipping the wires as there wasn't enough slack for me to get the plug apart (at least without dropping the tank. No biggie...I can say it has made a noticeable difference in smoothness and immediate WOT in 2nd and 3rd. I just got back from a 2hr ride through the Michaux State forest twisties in PA and it was a blast. Even though it feels like it's 90°+ ATTGAT, the bike ran like it does on a cool fall morning.

I'm stoked. Immediate throttle response when needed with no lag.
Unfortunately, I can't do wheelies unless the planets are in total alignment, but even as a relative nOOb, I feel the difference this has made.
Thanks to the OP for the info!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #116
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Yep, this works for the 2013's too. It's not a power add, but instead of 2nd and 3rd feeling like the bike has v-tec (ie. when you hammer it in 2nd through 3rd it feels like both gears have a rev limiter early in the range and only really come to full power at about 7000rpm) it's just power the way you would expect it. Linear instead of stepped or logarithmic. This applies for all 990's I believe as they all must meet EU regs due to being a Euro product.

Took 5 mins, used 4" of electrical tape, an electronics screwdriver to push the pins out. Definitely a must do mod just to have expect-able and linear throttle response in these two gears.

Cheers
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #117
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Yep, this works for the 2013's too. It's not a power add, but instead of 2nd and 3rd feeling like the bike has v-tec (ie. when you hammer it in 2nd through 3rd it feels like both gears have a rev limiter early in the range and only really come to full power at about 7000rpm) it's just power the way you would expect it. Linear instead of stepped or logarithmic. This applies for all 990's I believe as they all must meet EU regs due to being a Euro product.

Took 5 mins, used 4" of electrical tape, an electronics screwdriver to push the pins out. Definitely a must do mod just to have expect-able and linear throttle response in these two gears.

Cheers
Ok I've got a 2013 Baja edition, akra exhaust been remapped for the new exhaust, will this mod still have any effect?

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #118
ÖÖ.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
Ok I've got a 2013 Baja edition, akra exhaust been remapped for the new exhaust, will this mod still have any effect?
At least the 06 - 08 Akra-maps didn't have EPC on. Probably new ones are the same.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #119
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
I wanted to do this mod today but the colour of my wires don't match what I'm reading on the forums.
My wires are red, black and blue on both the connectors?

The connector to the left seems to be connected to the fuel pump.

The upper connector is a black male half mated with a white female half...in the description it says the other way round?

That's the upper connector looking from the top picture.

At least I wasn't groveling around on the floor! :)

KaytM screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 07:47 AM
KaytM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #120
Tomah
Riding the Northeast

Oddometer: 196
Question Pics of the right plug?

can someone give us a visual of the correct connector?