Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #8566
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Seperate thread indeed. Not even on ADV.
"Watch where you're going!"
I know, it worked on my other forum so I posted it from there
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #8567
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Here ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
Just got back with my seat from seat concepts...

Before

After

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #8568
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
I haven't ridden the Xt225 far enough yet to know if I hate the seat yet. But I've hated most off my motorcycles seats so this may be in my future. I've had Corbins on 4 cruisers so I wonder if I should just go for the Corbin. Although the width of this looks great.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #8569
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Best handlebar,handguard, and mirror combination? I'm ready to the XT a new look, especially with these big mirrors.. Any suggestions? I'm all
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #8570
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Thanks Steve, If anybody is intrested and close, they have a walk in special on the XT seat $150 OTD. Not much of a savings considering my fuel, but total of 3hrs and I was home and the seat installed, no waiting! Worth it to me, I hate waiting for parts. That's including them doing it.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #8571
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
turn signals

howdy, does anyone know if the turn signals and tail light bulbs can be replaced with high output leds without added a load stablizer? i'm looking to replace the stock bulbs with leds and the head light with a h4, but the stock stator and battery cannot handle stock bulbs with an h4 headlight. the battery drains in minutes. just running stock ligths, when turn signal is active, the headlight dimms with each flash....pretty sad.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #8572
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
just running stock ligths, when turn signal is active, the headlight dimms with each flash....pretty sad.
Your bike either has a dying battery, a bad connection somewhere, or the charging system is not working correctly.

I've seen posts saying that the XT doesn't have enough charging capacity to use heated gear without doing something to reduce electrical usage elsewhere. The people making those posts probably had weak batteries, a bad connection, or faulty charging systems.

I used to use a Widder heated vest on the 1992 XT I used to own and the bike never had a problem keeping the voltage up, no light dimming at all when using the vest and it was completely stock. Even when idling, and I verified this with a multimeter, it had 13+ volts.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #8573
DerekC
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Motosport.com is still having an oem parts sale, I think it'll beat ronayers. $8 flat rate shipping and if you're over $99 free shipping too. Can combine that with non-oem parts to get the free shipping.
Partzilla.com has pretty good prices too. I've bought from them several times and have been very pleased.

Example, exhaust for XT225, Ron Ayers $141.33
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID.../Group/EXHAUST

Partszilla $128.48
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...UST/parts.html
DerekC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #8574
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
I've seen posts saying that the XT doesn't have enough charging capacity to use heated gear without doing something to reduce electrical usage elsewhere. The people making those posts probably had weak batteries, a bad connection, or faulty charging systems.
I'm one of those people. I bought my 2000 model year with a month old Yuasa battery. If I rode it w/o heated grips and went to crank it two weeks later, it had enough amps to crank the starter over many , many times. As soon as accessories were added, it would flatten the battery. If the stock charging system provides enough amperage to meet the needs of the operation of the bike, I wouldn't say it is faulty. Barely adequate, yes, faulty, no, IMHO. This could be compounded by the fact that heated grips/gear also tend to get used in the coldest weather. I don't think the engineers who created the first series of bikes were concerned with riders wanting extra electrical capacity. YMMV.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #8575
Mayapis
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Iding Problem. Help please!

Greetings, Fellow XT225 riders.

I hope someone can help me with my 2003 XT225 which has only 12000 kms.

It starts up after 2 or 3 cranks, idles normally and revs up normally. But after a few kilometers of riding, the idling speed drops when stopped in traffic and then dies. It starts up again, idles normally but then the same thing happens again: idling speed drops and engine dies. There is no problem when running at high revs. Only when stopped in traffic and the engine is idling. After several carb overhauls and really thorough cleaning using an air compressor and carb cleaner, the problem is still there.

I have checked fuel flow from the tank and there is no problem there. I visually inspected the rubber intake manifold which has been reported to crack up and leak after 5 years but mine still looks very good. When the engine was idling normally in the garage, I sprayed WD40 on this intake manifold to see if some of the WD40 would be sucked in and if the idling would be affected but it did not.

I have ruled out any ignition problems because if it was, the problem would affect the entire rev range. But I could be wrong, of course.

Anyone experience the same problem? I am running out of ideas for a possible solution. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Mayapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #8576
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
Did you set the idle with the engine warmed up?
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #8577
Crazy Canadian
All who wander r not lost

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayapis View Post
Greetings, Fellow XT225 riders.

I hope someone can help me with my 2003 XT225 which has only 12000 kms.

It starts up after 2 or 3 cranks, idles normally and revs up normally. But after a few kilometers of riding, the idling speed drops when stopped in traffic and then dies. It starts up again, idles normally but then the same thing happens again: idling speed drops and engine dies. There is no problem when running at high revs. Only when stopped in traffic and the engine is idling. After several carb overhauls and really thorough cleaning using an air compressor and carb cleaner, the problem is still there.

I have checked fuel flow from the tank and there is no problem there. I visually inspected the rubber intake manifold which has been reported to crack up and leak after 5 years but mine still looks very good. When the engine was idling normally in the garage, I sprayed WD40 on this intake manifold to see if some of the WD40 would be sucked in and if the idling would be affected but it did not.

I have ruled out any ignition problems because if it was, the problem would affect the entire rev range. But I could be wrong, of course.

Anyone experience the same problem? I am running out of ideas for a possible solution. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Different bike but I had a bike with those symptoms and it was a worn out coil...

The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it!

Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything is different.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #8578
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Your bike either has a dying battery, a bad connection somewhere, or the charging system is not working correctly.

I used to use a Widder heated vest on the 1992 XT I used to own and the bike never had a problem keeping the voltage up, no light dimming at all when using the vest and it was completely stock. Even when idling, and I verified this with a multimeter, it had 13+ volts.
I'm pretty sure the battery is good, it can sit for 2wks and start up. how would i go about checking voltage? i'm thinking it could be the charging system. any tips?
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #8579
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,409
Quote:

Perhaps your vest by itself didn't pull too much power, also I believe your year had a 35 watt bulb, rather than a 55 as the later years did. I know the earlier models had a less powerful charging system, but maybe it was enough with the lower wattage bulb.

If I ride with my full jacket liner and heated gloves on, they will eventually kill even a new battery. If I shut them both off a few miles before I stop, the battery will fully recharge itself, so I don't see any issues with the charging system or battery.

I believe the system is adequate for it's intended purposes, but not sufficient for additional heavy power uses.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #8580
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlclaflin View Post
how would i go about checking voltage? i'm thinking it could be the charging system. any tips?
You need a volt meter. All voltage checks should be done with a fully charged battery. If it's a wet battery, make sure the electrolyte is over the plates.

Remove the side cover so you can get to the battery terminals. Check voltage at the battery terminals with the key off, it should e 12.4-12.6 volts. If less than 12.4, your battery may be failing.

Start the bike and check the voltage again. With the bike running, it should be 13-14 volts. You might have less voltage than this when idling. If you increase the RPMs a little, it should come up to 13-14 volts. Mine would have have 13.4 volts even at idle with my heated vest on.

If your readings are less with the bike running, there is a problem somewhere. It could be anything from a bad stator to a loose or corroded connection.

Faulty grounds/loose and corroded connections are a fairly common problem, especially on a bike that's been stored outside or exposed to other wet conditions.

Your headlight dimming when the flashers are used could very well be a faulty ground in the lighting circuit. Finding faulty grounds and loose/corroded connections can be a very difficult thing to do.

Good luck.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote