ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #706
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
DowDuer and I did the Hogsback thru to 36 on Monday afternoon. I've been wanting to do this for some time and thanks J.C. for leading the way. Yea, some of the "road" is pretty crappy and my legs are a bit sore from standing on the pegs for an extended period of time. Was pleased how my drz handled the rocks: it would be much more of a challange to do this on a big adventure bike, and would probably suck bad in the middle of summer!

Used my Contour for the first time and it worked great, unfortunatly the operator (me) had the lens oriented incorrectly so all the video is off by 90 degrees. Still haven't figured how to edit it and make it right.

Weather was very nice but because of me we got a late start which got us home about dark.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #707
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Carpenter Ridge

Looks like a couple of you guys have managed to get out in between rain drops. Carpenter Ridge brings back some memories. Did a lot of riding on the other side of hwy 32 many years ago. Mostly Mt. bike which I hauled up from Chico on the rear rack of my Honda Trail 110. Nice thing about the right side is it is essentially a triangle bordered by Hwy 32, Butte Creek and the road into Butte Meadows. On a Mt. Bike you can ride for many many hours and really not worry about getting to terribly lost. The side you rode on is fun as well as I recall you can connect up with the Lassen Trail to Hwy 36. What I see that is a bit disconcerting are the tire tracks on either side of the gate. To me it suggests this area is now patrolled. A couple of weeks ago I was testing a jet change on my bike and rode up Jordan Hill road to Sawmill Peak. Bumped into and chatted with a guy patrolling off from V-line (Sawmill Peak to Ragdump). This was the first time I came across any Logging Company patrol in that area. Enjoyed the post fellas. Clear skys and pretty views. BanhXeo, here is a picture I took some years ago. Likely between 25 and 27 on your Spot adventure map. Gerry

mrgizmow screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 01:54 PM
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #708
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Gerry,
It's funny you should mention a patrol..As soon as I entered and rounded 1 turn there was a clearing with a couple of Cat's, A dumptruck and a small truck with a guy standing next to a quad...He waved(as if to say Hi) and we "leapfrogged" each other down the ridge. Each time I passed him he was talking some kind of measurement though, and getting or sending cords with a semi large hand held antenna.

Oobus,
Try one of these free trials from Sony.. I use the production suite as I cannot afford a real copy of Sony Vegas. You can try out there newest version of Vegas for 1 month (as well as all the other ones) Free. Hope this helps you edit so we can see some upcoming footage
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/.../moviestudiopp
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #709
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Glad to hear the tire tracks were likely associated with that crew rather than a patrol. Perhaps patrols will be focused in the Paradise to Inskip area and East. It was certainly nice to have all those acres open, but the damage and irresponsible use was pretty clear as well. A few summers ago I came across a fire that was not fully extinguished and re-ignited the trash that had been left in the adhoc fire pit. I think it was lucky that I took off on that adventure late Sunday afternoon as I came across no one else on the trail/Concow rd. As a few beer cans were left as well, I was able to get water out of Kimshew creek and extinguish the fire before a breeze could carry a piece of a burning 6 pac into the brush. Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #710
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Soon boys soon. :)
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #711
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
What's in that new avatar picture Bob?
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #712
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
We're going down to pick it up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
What's in that new avatar picture Bob?
Saturday if all goes as expected. I'll let Bob expand.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #713
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Trading the Tiger for a more dirt oriented bike. '99 ATK 605. With a CRF 450!race front end. Should be fun.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #714
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Very Nice!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #715
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Cool!
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #716
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Found some time Monday to get out and ride some "New to me" trails. I have been wanting to explore Carpenter Ridge Rd. (G line?)

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like that was a nice ride, thanks for posting up the pictures, what's the deal with the rock on the stump?
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #717
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

No idea..Guess the loggers got bored at some point. Decided a 2 ton rock would be best to put out the burning stumps. Then left it as an example of what to do if you come across burning stumps on the side of the road...

Was just one of those things you have to take a picture of cause its so random.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #718
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Road trip in progress with reddog1
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #719
Casey353
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 4
Newbe

Ran into Bob while he was checking out the range on the new ATK. Hope to catch some rides with local riders this year. (XR400r with 150 mile range.)
Casey353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #720
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

If I'm not working I'm always up for a ride. Shoot me a PM.