Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #76
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetburn View Post
... posting in a language i dont speak/understand!...
a xenophobe posting in an international forum
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #77
Edelweiss-Motorsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Wink Krautrock legends - and open your mind

Uff -

Reaction frequence is not too fast but since I have to find a little time writing useful answers it is not going better currently.

Voltaire - yes the heads are good and you should prepare them for the race bike . If you like me to be helpful on this project making your bike going faster i will help wherever I can. If it is advice or parts or whatever I will give all possible support from racer to racer.

Here is the way to go if you want the budget to be limited on a certain level:

One thing please hold in mind - the heads will not correspond with your pistons and so you should get yourself a set of used 94 mm nikasilcylinders with pistons 8,5 :1 or 9,5:1.

Headwork: as you know I am very serious about the squishband there is no question that you have to get this done first. Next is to use a set of Valves 44/40 mm 45 deg. with the exhaust valve being machined to have a backcut. The valves seats must be machined with a radius that ends in 45 deg and then running out to form a correction angle inside the chamber seat area.
After doing all this you need a porting which is for sure very important too.

I was thinking how to explain it more detailed but under the line there is no reasonable way in doing it, not inside this thread not by mail and not by phone. There are too many tools and details involved in making good heads so I just can bring up the strategy.

Just to make transparent what complexity is living in headwork:

If you have a flow bench you look for flow rates at specific valve lifts - beside this you always calculate the flow speed at specific spots on the way from the carbs stacks to the valve seat.

Ok but this is half of the truth - you also have to make sure the fresh gas is going into the chamber without leaving it through the exhaust again in overlap, where most of the magic is living. So it sometimes can be very useful to make one side of the inlet port, flowing not better but directing the gas into the right way that it stays where it then can be ignited and cause pressure - not making the exhaust tube glow red....

You have always to devide every port in two sections - the long side also called the fast side and the short side also called the slow side. This sides are taking great influence on each other and to make them synergetic is the big trick.

Can you find this pistons and cylinders down there ? If not let me know, since we sell a lot of our EM big bore kits we trade in the std. parts from our customers once in a while.

John - the pushrods where a great deal of developement since chromo steal was too heavy, titanium was bad in e module and so we ended up with tapered aluminium pushrods. We use a special aluminium and then by a heat treatment process we get them stiff enough not flexing around like pogo sticks.

Now we can rev up to 10.000 rpm and the engines feel like overhead cammed - never crashing any valve at lifts you would not believe.

It is just for safety and or events like miss shifting - all our race engines can be shifted at 8.000 to 8.500 rpm since full power is available there already.

The 1000 ccm street engines mostly are configurated to be shifted at 6.500 to 7.500 rpm when pulling out for full load - cruising is between 2.000 and 6.000 rpm always having between 85 an 90 NM available.

Superschuft - you can use the 136,5 mm conrods in all cases std. or the old 97 mm 1043ccm hpn pistons where used. Since you have to machine these pistons any way I do not understand your question. If it is the 8,2:1, 8,5:1 or the 9,5:1 piston does not matter they must be machined to get a working squish anyhow.

You can use the conrods but you do not have to - just cut the cylinder and machine the piston and all is fine.

All our engines and big bore kits are measured in that way to get rid of all tolerances. Customers send in their heads and we do it for them. In case of the Edelweiss Motorsport big bore kit it is included in the kit price and what you need is two hours concentrated work on some tooling machines, some know how to measure the right values at the right spots and that's all - so what ?

BMW's are premium products.

The 2V bikes became collectors items already so it is my strong believe they deserve the best possible parts as well as the best possible treatment !!!

Just do it....because you can....

Chollo and Carl - yes we have some reasonable drummers here in Krautland. Jaki Liebezeit from can is one of them. There are Curt Cress and Herwig Mitteregger from Spliff / Nina Hagen Band and we have people like Manuel Göttsching from Ashra as real pioneers of electronic music. We also have one and the only trend setting artistic group generating new standards in the world of music and they are on tour currently in several museums: Kraftwerk.

They come from Düsseldorf 10 min. down the roads from where I live.

Zappa says: the crux of the bisquit is conceptual continuity - and this is what Kraftwerk is all about too.

But !!!

There is just one Frank Zappa....a man I call one of the rare intermedial genius ever living on this planet - beside this he is doing the most intelligent and funny interviews I have ever seen. I have all available recordings and dvd and I miss him living as a creative star shining so bright.

I had the pleasure to see him life in Dortmund on the broadway the hard way tour....what an experience !

And there was no Stevie Ray Vaughan here in Germany...

Yours in sport.

Dirk

In memory of John Britten and Nicola Tesla united in geniusity, looking down on us thinking what the hell are they doing ?!
Edelweiss-Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #78
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
You didn't miss anything, it was not related to the topic.
Why are you always up to that crap?

supershaft screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 04:24 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #79
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
and don't be so small minded
Real hard to make any sense out of one of them and the other trying to throw me under the bus. Think again. Nothing against German, I am just against personal crap in any language as far as RG's post in German and many of them in English.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #80
Renner
combustophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I am just against personal crap in any language....
then you would consider not spreading it?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #81
supershaft
because I can

9.5 pistons are taller above the wrist pin than 8.5 pistons. I think you answered my question. You do a lot deeper machining on the 9.5 pistons. How does that work versus less machining on 8.5 pistons. I would think machining the pistons versus the heads would have the modifications in the piston tops filling with carbon?

Despite you saying that you focus on squish band and not CR, it still sounds like you are running more CR with 136.5 rods than I am unless you are taking a whole bunch off the tops of those pistons?

I am going to look on your sight for those pushrods. I am using 4130 but I think I could get by with less because I am running stock springs with stock preload. Another thing I like about 336's.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 01:36 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #82
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
then you would consider not spreading it?
Once again. It's all up above in black and white. RG is the one spreading it. In German this time but that doesn't make it any better. Responding to personal crap is not spreading personal crap.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 04:25 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #83
supershaft
because I can

I just looked at the Edleweiss website. Those pushrods look like steel? Are they anodized? Price and weight? Alloy? I am very interested.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #84
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 989
Hot Rats changed my life.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #85
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars

Oddometer: 537
This is the best thread in a long time.

Use the Google translator if you skipped high school German.
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #86
Renner
combustophile

Quote:
It's all up above in black and white. RG is the one spreading it. In German this time...
I didn't see anything particularly objectionable.
It could be the translation software you used did a poor & misleading job.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #87
BeardThrone
...in bat country.

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Hot Rats changed my life.
"Man in a suit with a bowtie neck,
wanna buy a grunt with a third party check"
BeardThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #88
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
I didn't see anything particularly objectionable.
It could be the translation software you used did a poor & misleading job.
Translation software? Give me a break. I took 16 credit hours of German in college but that was a long time ago. I never did really get familiar with subjective case. Plus I had two German friends right there reading it with me. I should say trying to read Carl's post. That had them both laughing. Particularly objectionable? Of course you didn't see anything particularly objectionable. You never do other than me responding to RG's personal BS. You don't see me going on about RG and his ways like you see RG going on about me although it would be all too easy to do but I refrain myself like RG should. You do see me responding to RG's personal BS. Sorry you don't like that but the place to stop that starts and finishes with RG in THIS case. You guys seem to assume that everyone is in your shoes. Fortunately, that is not the case.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #89
Renner
combustophile

Quote:
Translation... ...not the case.
whatever.

you needn't get worked up about it.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #90
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
I just looked at the Edleweiss website. Those pushrods look like steel? Are they anodized? Price and weight? Alloy? I am very interested.

I couldn't find the pushrods. Any chance of a link?