User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
hennessyktm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Chain Noise & Hop

All, I ride an 04 950 ADV, has 26,600 miles on it. I just did a 530 mile ride from Tennessee to Savannah, GA. When I pulled into town I noticed a rhythmic, whirring sound coming from the chain/front sprocket area. The sounds increases/decreases with speed/revolutions of the chain, it is not constant. I put the bike on the center stand, put it in gear to get the back wheel going, then placed it into neutral and watched the chain (see videos, you can really see it in the second video). As the chain passes over the chain guide/slide on top of the swingarm, I noticed it hop/bounce in short intervals and was the source of the sound (you can hear the sound in the videos). I have no idea what is causing this. I already adjusted the chain.

Any thoughts/ideas on what this is from? Hopefully it is something simple I've overlooked.

Also, while on the center stand, when I had the clutch pulled in and put it in gear, the back tire started to rotate. Clutch plates, slave?

Thanks in advance.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="288" id="viddler_hennessyktm_1">

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="288" id="viddler_hennessyktm_2">

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="288" id="viddler_hennessyktm_3">
hennessyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessyktm View Post
All, I ride an 04 950 ADV, has 26,600 miles on it. I just did a 530 mile ride from Tennessee to Savannah, GA. When I pulled into town I noticed a rhythmic, whirring sound coming from the chain/front sprocket area. The sounds increases/decreases with speed/revolutions of the chain, it is not constant. I put the bike on the center stand, put it in gear to get the back wheel going, then placed it into neutral and watched the chain (see videos, you can really see it in the second video). As the chain passes over the chain guide/slide on top of the swingarm, I noticed it hop/bounce in short intervals and was the source of the sound (you can hear the sound in the videos). I have no idea what is causing this. I already adjusted the chain.

Any thoughts/ideas on what this is from? Hopefully it is something simple I've overlooked.

Also, while on the center stand, when I had the clutch pulled in and put it in gear, the back tire started to rotate. Clutch plates, slave?

Thanks in advance.

The wheel rotating with the clutch in is normal. Every bike I own does this. Don't worry about what it does on the center stand. As long as it doesn't creep when you actually ride it you are good.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
KEELAYMONSTER
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Oddometer: 139
Sounds like some bad links in your chain

How old is your chain?
Kyle Montagne #141K
KEELAYMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
I've noticed that my chain (OEM) makes alot, and I mean alot, of noise when it's either dirty, loose or both. It was bad enough that the first time I thought I had a motor problem, until I narrowed the noise down to the chain.

I'd clean and lube the chain, make sure it's adjusted correctly, then see if the noise is still there. Unless your chain needs replacement (bad links like someone suggested above), I'd bet the noise/jump goes away.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Is that 26K miles on the original chain and sprockets?
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 660
That second video sure look like a stuck link. Might be time to replace the chain and sprockets.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 793
Chains stretch unevenly. You could have a tight section.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
hennessyktm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Simple fix

Well, turns out you guys are smart, thanks for the replies. Upon further inspection of the chain, I found one of the rollers on one of the chain links broke. The rivet was there (obviously) but the roller was no longer. That was causing the chain to hop and make noise when passing around the sprockets. Thankfully it was something simple. In all my years of riding though, that was a first for me.

James (mechanic) up at Honda and Yamaha of Savannah saw me working on the bike in their parking lot, let me push the bike into the shop, ground a rivet down for me so I could break the chain, and cut my new one to length. So, I had to give him and his shop some props on the site...plus bought him a case of beer for the help.
hennessyktm is offline   Reply With Quote