User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
E.O.T.D. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Break-in with snow and ice

So I just sold my 2006 BMW GS 1200 for a new Triumph Tiger Explorer. Went out of town to buy it (Touring Sport in Greenville, SC) and they were great. Very Professional and personal service. I wasn't initially planning on going back up there for the first service as I live in northwest GA but some of the accessories had to be ordered and installed at a later date. They gave me a good deal on the accessories and the install labor so I planned on making the trip back up there in a week after I got about 500 miles on the bike for the break in service and accessories. Accessories to be installed were the factory crash bars, heated grips, belly pan, and a fuse block.

This was a week before all the bad weather and tornadoes came through the southeast and I was busy so I was only able to get about 75 miles in on one short ride. I planned on taking a 350ish mile route up through the mountains (TN, NC, then down into SC) and was going to get a quick 100 mile ride in on wed before I left. Well I was stuck in my house on wed watching all the weather go by (the tornado weather missed me by about 15 miles). Here's the route I had input into the GPS and was ready to leave at sunrise thurs morning as the storms had left clear but cold skies.

[IMG]Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 4.28.04 PM[/IMG]

After bringing the bike home I ordered and installed Touratech Panniers, hand guards, radiator guard, and headlight guard. Also rewired my old GPS RAM mount from the Bimmer to the triumph. All the storms passed and 7:30 am, ready to go!

[IMG]photo 1[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 2[/IMG]

I headed up 411 in GA and over on hwy 136 towards Blue Ridge. ( alittle diferent than the map) Only had to stop once because of cold hands. I stopped in a convenience store and talked my way into some free wool gloves. I cut the fingers out and taped them onto my fingers since the whole glove wouldn't fit inside mine. It was mid 30s at this point and the only cold part of me was my finger tips. From Blue Ridge I headed north on 68 all the way to Tellico Plains. When I crossed the Hiwassee River i noticed the water level was crazy high so I stopped for some pics.

This river is usually crossable on foot! ....
[IMG]photo 23[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 24[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 26[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 28[/IMG]

topic of thread title coming up......
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
E.O.T.D. OP
Adventurer

I got back on once my hands had thawed a little. It had warmed to around 38 degrees by this point and was getting warmer. It was still really pretty when I turned onto the Cherohala skyway. I was enjoying the ride and the lack of traffic. I had the road to myself and I would soon find out why. Took these around 2500 feet elevation on Cherehola....

[IMG]photo 30[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 19[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 21[/IMG]

I hadn't seen one bike and only one car since turning onto the road. As I was riding up the mountain I was noticing the darker clouds around the top but wasn't really thinking about it. Then I saw some snow in the trees and was thinking, "oh look at the snow, that's pretty." I then came around a corner and stopped to take this picture because I thought I was at the top and there would only be a little snow around the road. WRONG.
[IMG]photo 9[/IMG]
This was just the beginning. I rode through over 18 miles of snow and ice. About 1/2 mile past this picture a nice coating of ice covered the road and stayed there about 18 miles till I got back below 3000 feet. Check out the other pics closer to the summit at about 5500 feet...

IT WAS 19 Degrees at the top of the mountain!!!

[IMG]photo 11[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 12[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 10[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 8[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 15[/IMG]

I kept thinking how ironic it was that I was on my way to get the heated hand grips and crash bars installed. Both would have been pretty ......... uhhhhh ...... welcome.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74

I will have to check out that dealership, too.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
E.O.T.D. OP
Adventurer

I finally made it off the mountain after almost being run off the side of the road by an a*#hole in a plowtruck running around 40 mph. ( I never made it over 16 mph for over 18 miles) I have to say I was thankful to have the traction control. It did a great job getting me up the slippery hills. I could see the light blinking telling me it was helping but couldn't really feel the motor cutting out.

I then headed up to the end of the dragon's tail and down hwy 28 to hwy 74 to get gas. Stopped and took these just south of the intersection of 129 and 28...at this point 38 degrees felt really warm.
[IMG]photo 18[/IMG]
[IMG]photo 16[/IMG]

I was running out of daylight and had to be at the dealership to drop the bike off before they closed. It took WAY longer to cross the skyway than I expected. I took 74 to 26 and followed to main hwys into greenville. I got the bike there 15 min before closing and it was covered in salt. I was sooo glad to know that when I got the bike back it would have nice hot hand grips! The bike was covered in salt and nastiness, was definitely the dirtiest bike they'd ever done a break in service on!

They worked on it the next day and I stayed with a buddy before heading home sat morning. The plan was to stick to the highways on the way home but that didn't last. I HATE the interstate so went through Clemson where I went to college, snapped some more pics and headed back to northwest GA on the two lanes.

Here are some pics I took at Clemson University. Couldn't resist the pic ops for the new Tiger with the Clemson tigers!! I wish I had brought my Digi SLR with me. I did the best I could with my phone...
[IMG]photo 34[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 40[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 55[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 53[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 45[/IMG]

[IMG]photo 51[/IMG]

Since it's done with I can say it was a great ride, but the ride to greenville was one of the hardest one day rides Iv'e been on, especially for the low mileage covered. But I can for sure say now that I am comfortable on the new Triumph, and fire roads and double track should be a breeze after 18 miles of snow and ice with no falls. I hope yall enjoy the pics. Oh yea. I appreciate heated handgrips a lot more than I did before.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
E.O.T.D. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Tiger View Post

I will have to check out that dealership, too.
They really did a great job. I have been in the retail car business for a long time so I pay close attention to the level of service I get when I'm the customer. They did everything just like they had promised they would. They are fairly new to selling Triumph's but now carry Triumph, Ducati, and BMW so if you fancy a euro bike they got all the bases covered. Thomas was the salesman that sold me my bike.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I'm just glad you didn't do that with MY new GS. Great photography. Thanks for sharing the account. Bob
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
E.O.T.D. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I'm just glad you didn't do that with MY new GS. Great photography. Thanks for sharing the account. Bob
Hey Bob! I just saw this reply. I am proud to say that the GS did see a little snow, some mud, and definitely some cold weather, lots of rain, and NEVER met the terra firma! I'm afraid I cannot release any further details post-sale.

I was just breaking her in for ya! From what I can see your spoiling the old girl and taking real good care of her. It was cool riding with you and getting to see it going down the road.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 887
Beastly looking bike!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
E.O.T.D. OP
Adventurer

Thanks!