Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #27541
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Awww ain't that true love...

I've made the mistake BB is making. I understand why too. ...but in the end, I had an expensive, hoopty, POS that didn't ride nearly as well, work nearly as well, or last nearly as long as if I'd started with something nicer. By nicer I don't mean $thousands I mean $hundreds.

A pricepoint mtn frame (~$100) with bad boy style wheels (cheap 29er disc wheels) on it will be a better starting spot than a department store bike with 27" wheels on it.

M

Well then when he realizes he made a mistake then he can hang the worthwhile parts on a good frame and not be out any more green than he would have been if he had started with a good frame. What he learns in the process will one day find him shaking his head at some hard headed kid hellbent on learning something the hard way.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #27542
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
When's winter gonna be over?!

M
What is winter?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #27543
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
those look like they would get seriously mangled first time you clipped a rock or curb or something with the outside edge of the pedal.

this style seems more robust to me.
http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ed-Bearing.htm
agreed.... i am still running on an old set of GT magnesium bmx pedals from the early 90s on my mtb...nubs are worn, and i cant replace em, but i am thinking about drilling and studding them, since they have held up so long...LOL
bogieboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #27544
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I like your spirit bro! You don't know Klay do you?
no, at least not yet....LOL i will be doing week six of this ride--> www.seatosea.org , the iowa city to grand rapids leg... on a department store framed frankenbike... YES...i am probably insane.....LOL
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #27545
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well then when he realizes he made a mistake then he can hang the worthwhile parts on a good frame and not be out any more green than he would have been if he had started with a good frame. What he learns in the process will one day find him shaking his head at some hard headed kid hellbent on learning something the hard way.
i agree...LOL everything thats going into it is industry standard... english BB (via a conversion set) threadless stem and headset (i would need a different headset for a different frame...big woop at $35) fork would cross over with correct headset, all shifters and such will swap right over along with derailleurs.... i think gummee is just jealous of my awesome vinyls on the bike and doesnt want that much awesomeness out in the world....LOL

and i dont think this is really the hard way....its just not the NORMAL way....its not any harder or easier...shoot i had a HARD time finding a decent shock for my trek fuel....NO ONE has 6.5" eye to eye shocks for sale used that arent fubared...went thru 3 bad ones before finding the one thats on it now...
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #27546
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
they're said to be quite rigid in the right places because of the space-frame design (similar to the Alex Moulton design).
in no small part because they're currently made in Copenhagen's hippy central, Christiania.
Yeah, my daughter lives there, Pederson bikes aren't cheap but nothing is cheap in Denmark.

Lot's of bikes there.

Hi cyclist you're the 5098th bike to go by today.

That's at 1:35pm on a one way bike path it was a slow morning being Summer and people are on vacation.

I used to see a Pederson bike around Berkeley, probably still around.

http://www.pedersen-bike.dk/pedersenbikes.htm
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #27547
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
I love riding in the desert. It's humbling and somewhat spiritual to me.
Just like that scene from Thelma & Louise when the Rastafarian rides up to the cop car.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #27548
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,559
SUN!! Yay for sun and warm-ish.

Gonna go get muddy again this PM with a buddy. Riding dirt roads around The Plains should be fun.

M
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #27549
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
What is winter?
It's the opposite to summer when all you smarmy fuckers will be indoors because of the heat and humidity outside.

I'll take my winter over your summer ANY day....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #27550
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
It's the opposite to summer when all you smarmy fuckers will be indoors because of the heat and humidity outside.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #27551
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
What he learns in the process will one day find him shaking his head at some hard headed kid hellbent on learning something the hard way.
Goes back to that 'wisdom' and 'intelligence' post I made above.

Another case in point: my buddy asked me to help him re-rim a front wheel. He thought he did a good thing by un-building the front wheel and handing me a pile of spokes, a hub, and a rim.

WhyTF did you do that?!

I was bored at the bike shop...

Instead of doing things the easy way and taping the new rim to the old rim, now we gotta go re-lace everything.

You didn't tell me not to un-build the wheel.

So instead of 20min of transferring spokes, it was a few hours of lacing, re-lacing, and finally moving spokes around that he hadn't crossed right.

I'll admit, part of that is my fault for not telling to leave the old front wheel alone. ...but its still If he'd asked 'hey, do you want me to un-build the front wheel?' I would have told him 'NO!'

M
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #27552
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Quoted for when you're bitching about the heat and humidity in summer.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #27553
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

From Reddit. Bike racing categories:

Cat 5: I have no idea what I'm doing but think bike racing might be fun. I ran/swam/rowed in college, so this can't be that different, right?
Cat 4: I have no idea what I'm doing, but my carbon wheels help me crash at higher speeds. During races, I find it helps to verbalize my every action. Safety of the pack (though I'd call it a peleton) is ensured by yelling "Hold your line!" in every corner. I have seen Breaking Away.
Cat 3: I won a few races as a 4, so I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious. I cracked my carbon wheels as a 4, so I'm back on aluminum hoops. I can beat up most of the guys on the group ride, unless I annoy one of the 1/2s and they make me beg for mommy. I have seen American Flyers.
Cat 2: I'm a legit road racer now. My first P/1/2 race nearly broke my will to live, but since quitting my full time job and moving in with my girlfriend, I'm getting faster. Every upgrade point is celebrated like a birth in the family. I rub elbows with the pros in certain races, and while I try not to show them I'm impressed, I tell all my friends about it after the fact. The weekly local training race is now used as a recovery day. I have seen Deux Secondes
Cat I: After breaking up with my girlfriend, getting kicked out of my parents basement, and sleeping in my car for the last 6 months, I finally got my 1 upgrade. I'm a demi-god who can take all the shit the pros can throw at me, though I'm acutely aware of how little I can throw back. I can't imagine getting much faster than this, but I really don't have much else to be doing with my life so I continue to train. I have been in the background of a photo on Cyclingnews
Domestic Pro: I can finally afford indoor plumbing again. Most of us understand this is as good as it's going to get, so we spend most of our time partying, but only after the training is done. I have raced with someone who has doped. I show up to the occasional local crit and spend 90 minutes mother ducking the entire field around. Then I win the field sprint and head out to finish my century for the day.
Euro Pro: I am half human.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #27554
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
From Reddit. Bike racing categories:
I guess that would make me Cat 6
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #27555
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Fortunately I tolerate heat very well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: