Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #17551
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I pulled out the spring before removing the body, so it was definitely all the way in. re-installed, and zzzip, all the way in!

BTW, the nub was almost mirror polished when I pulled it out, I wanted to see how hard the material was, so I lightly scratched it with a file, then scotch-brited it out, hence the dullish look. I did that to see if it was practical to make a new, longer tip or not...The groove looked about the same.

I have a hunch there are people out there who have their MCCT's adjusted further out than the ACCT will allow, yes no?
Cool just checkin'!

Not sure on how far mine is Eddie set it and I haven't touched it. Plus with the spacer the chain will be tight to begin with.

Hard starting is a standard symptom of out of spec valves. Get them in spec then check them often. I check mine every 1-2k miles. I record the number then just watch them. If they move after the first adjustment it's usually downhill. If not no worries. With it that far out you might want to check it every 500 miles for awhile. Or tear it down its personal choice/comfort.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #17552
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic... It was written in good humour, but someone is bound to take it the wrong way.
No not sarcastic.. when I had my DRZ ,I spent too much time on thumpertalk.. it was a new bike to me and after a while I felt that the bike was going to explode on me in no time if I didnt do all the things that some people on there said "must be done". I then made a joke and received a warning from one of the "cocks"
I love the DRZ... its a great bike, and I know of many of the guys here who have just run them with nil of the must do's and guess what... sweet FA has happened
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #17553
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
No not sarcastic.. when I had my DRZ ,I spent too much time on thumpertalk.. it was a new bike to me and after a while I felt that the bike was going to explode on me in no time if I didnt do all the things that some people on there said "must be done". I then made a joke and received a warning from one of the "cocks"
I love the DRZ... its a great bike, and I know of many of the guys here who have just run them with nil of the must do's and guess what... sweet FA has happened
Reading some of that stuff will kinda freak you out a little. Its worth doing the lock tight fixes... I've had a few friends bikes have the stator bolts back out and one a starter clutch bolt broke off amend destroyed everything on the left side of the engine. Lucky for him he was still in warranty and he didn't ride the bike much at all so it was no big deal not to have it for a couple months while the dealer repaired it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #17554
ol'dan
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Mikuni BSR36 parts

I'm trying to be proactive and looking to replace the float valve assembly since it has been running on E10 fuel for the last 5 years. I don't want to pay Suzuki's price so after a little searching on the web I've found several other machines that use the BSR36 carburetor. Yamaha's Raptor and Grizzly to name two. Bike Bandit has part #1800883 needle/seat assembly for $19.99 as opposed to Suzuki's part at $56.17. Has anyone tried this yet or should I be the lab rat?

ol'dan screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 07:16 PM
ol'dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #17555
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
If the bike isn't making any funny sounds, the just run it. I'm closing in on my 6000 mile mark with no problems at all. I'm sure that the cam chain might need to be replaced at 15 or 20 thousand miles, but I'm not touching it till I hear it rattling.

The DRZ is a driver bike with very little to fix. Some folks have had the carb gumming up because of old gas. Other then that, it is one tuff cookie !!!

From jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #17556
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
The DRZ is a driver bike with very little to fix. Some folks have had the carb gumming up because of old gas. Other then that, it is one tuff cookie !!!

From jeathrow Bowdean

I hear that. I believe to many folks create their own problems with the never ending additions and quest for better performance. Given my DRZ is a newer model, 2011, I just change the oil, add fuel and ride the hell out of it............

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #17557
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'dan View Post
I'm trying to be proactive and looking to replace the float valve assembly since it has been running on E10 fuel for the last 5 years. I don't want to pay Suzuki's price so after a little searching on the web I've found several other machines that use the BSR36 carburetor. Yamaha's Raptor and Grizzly to name two. Bike Bandit has part #1800883 needle/seat assembly for $19.99 as opposed to Suzuki's part at $56.17. Has anyone tried this yet or should I be the lab rat?
At that price its worth the risk as long as its returnable if unopened.
Maybe pull your carb and compare the parts (with some magnification if possible) if it looks identical then PLEASE be the lab rat
Worst thing might be another carb pull and replace the original parts for the time being.
Anywho at least if you pull the current parts and take a careful look you will get an idea of their condition. So its just a matter of how much time you can afford to spend going through the process and whether you can justify the money or the time or the Susuki stuff.
Keep us posted please

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #17558
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
I'm trying to be proactive and looking to replace the float valve assembly since it has been running on E10 fuel for the last 5 years.
If it ain't broke....

Mines been running on E blended fuel for 11 years. Nothing wrong with it.

There is no odometer when it comes to pie - VACommuter
$5 Smug Mug coupon
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #17559
XJHero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
03 KLX 400R No start

Hey guys, first time poster here, was looking for some help with my new purchase...recently brought home an 03 klx 400r. When i went to look at bike, owner started it up no problems with a cold engine, then again a couple times afterwards, no issues. I brought it home in a truck, and went to start it, would crank and crank but just wont seem to catch. I replaced the battery cause it was on its last leg, replaced the spark plug(original was gas fouled when i pulled it out), checked the kill switch, and filled the tank....no change. Doing some more research i checked the clutch safety switch and kickstand switch and those mods were already done, need to verify that the connections are good, but i figure they must be decent if the bike was just running.
The first time after bringing it home i was able to get it to start firing right before it ran outta gas(got 3-4 blips out of the exhaust before it died). At this point i know im getting gas to the carb, havent pulled that apart yet, and i know the ignition system is working. Have not checked compression with a gauge, but seems to be fine, enough to blow finger off hole. Aside from ripping the carb apart to verify thats ok what else can/should i be looking at....im at a complete loss of where to go now besides digging into the carb or valves, and being as that is just was running,cant see the valves getting out of adjustment from the truck ride. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
XJHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #17560
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,287
WELCOME to the asylum XJHero, sounds like a fuel restriction issue. May be junk in the jets in the carb. Is there a filter in-line that may be clogged? Is the tank clean inside? Maybe pull the petcock and see if the inlet screen is clogged, restricting fuel flow. Check choke assembly to ensure the choke is working properly. Check fuel supply hose(s) from tank to carb for obstruction. Try spraying a little starter fluid in the carb while trying to start. If it fires with an external fuel supply then definitely is a fuel delivery issue. 10 to 1 I suspect clogged jets, especially if it has been siting for a while.
If not;

Option 2: check to ensure your engine cut off switch (kill switch) is in the proper position and in working order. You may have to disconnect it and/or straight wire together to eliminate the switch as the problem.
I had this happen to me before, bad switch, and it drove me crazy trying to track down.

Good luck, keep us posted...............

MotoBoss screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 12:41 PM
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #17561
XJHero
Adventurer

Thanks for the response MotoBoss. A fuel issue does seem like it could be a problem, maybe even a flooding issue. I know i flooded it the first time i tried starting it by checking the plug(fuel fouled). Smelled gas as well. I cant check my oil for fuel contamination cause the fill was tightened by hercules and i cant get it off without some heat/serious force.
Theres no in line filter, so could be junk in tank/line/carb. Should i try starting with the fuel/tank? I have gotten bad gas before, had similar issues on bikes/cars with that problem, so ill prob pop the petcock off, drain the tank and refill with a different brand. I heard trying to drain the carb bowl will tell me if the carbs getting fuel, just not sure which screw it is. If it is clogged jets, how would i go about cleaning them? Need to remove or can i use carb cleaner with them in the carb still?

I did check that kill switch. I should also mention, its an R version, but it is plated with all the street legal stuff, horn, blinkers, etc, and i have a light switch that powers the ignition,(wont turn over unless this is on, not sure if all models had this switch on the leftside or if its aftermarket), as well as an ignition, and a pull in type kill switch(pull in the make contact and kill ignition, let go and contacts are spaced. I didnt put a meter to the kill switch, but it seems all good, no corrosion or anything to suspect a fault. Im still fairly new with electrical work so I cant say for sure its good. I also have a red push in button for high and low beams, and i heard on another forum that button needed to be in a certain position, but what that was i never got clarified. Any more info?
Again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #17562
element6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Silly question perhaps, but are you using the choke?
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #17563
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:

The only problem you will have is a $.50 sealing o-ring on that float valve after 5 years. no problems with needles at all or brass holder in the carb. Replacement is a waste of $$$. Contact Keintech for the O-ring. You must be reading Thumper Talk too much.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #17564
XJHero
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by element6 View Post
Silly question perhaps, but are you using the choke?
Yes, ive been using the choke to try to start it. Previous owner said it would fire right up, even in cold weather with just the choke, no throttle. I have tried without the choke a few times just to see, no change though.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #17565
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
++1. Sometimes when you mess with it you ruin the harmony of the stock motor and guess what happens $$$$. That's why I leave mine stock and love it.

dhb400 is offline   Reply With Quote