Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #61
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
161 mm from here ya think? pic in manual nice blend of grainy and blur.....

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #62
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Dayuummmm... you work fast, and do good work!

Unlikely I get recruited to crew for anyone based on speed or skills - unless there are a lot of bottles to open.

I spent some time tidying wires yesterday - aux lights had a few extra yards of cable I didn't want. Thinking of a name for my electrics shop - 10 Stone Thumbs is in the lead. I added some techflex and most a roll of tape to reinforce 30 years if wear.

Cleaner now! I really do like the retro of these piaa 510s but know I should change out to a more modern led for power savings...

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #63
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
do yourself a favor and get a Billet top triple.
OEM is underwhelming. I'm building a list of long run things, it's not at the top but makes it....

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #64
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
161 mm from here ya think? pic in manual nice blend of grainy and blur.....
Telling.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #65
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

All done - mostly...

New boots and test of low fit fender

Extra hands were helpful for cable route / bar mount

Ready to go - except I missed a connection somewhere along the way for my volt meter. Going to take it out for a quick bounce later this week then loosen and re-torque to finish.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #66
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,949
Are you coming to this?
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #67
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
..Factory version locked itself up before the job was done - bottomed out against the too tall two nut stack (or space tube to short)
What's the extra nut supposed to be for? Normally you just have one squeezing the split washer and then the nut/plate with the nut facing out.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #68
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Are you coming to this?
Thanks for reminder - I may swing by for a hi. I want to get some riding done this weekend, last and next week in OH.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #69
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
What's the extra nut supposed to be for? Normally you just have one squeezing the split washer and then the nut/plate with the nut facing out.
The extra nut is oversized (doesn't thread to bolt, slip on) and machined to float on the washer. I got the first kit in the 'new style' but the tube was a bit short. Dan is sending me the fix. Single nut will not bite with new pieces.

Old style

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 05:26 PM
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #70
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

It was an easy find on the voltmeter hot wire - I 'cleaned up' the connection so knew where to look. Got it all back together (the third time as brass expanding insert popped out on last turn of second time) and noted I'd installed the headlamp inverted. Fourth time was a charm....

I don't believe this is what the manual intends as 'gently to the right'

Everything 'looks good to me' didn't want to whack the fastener nut with my drift too much harder. Will take another go at it with better tool soon.

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 08:03 PM
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #71
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Which reminds me...

Not sure on proper translated names for each piece listed in the torque section of the manual. I know the cap nut was 120nm but believed the 36mm bolts on either side (into the tubes, through 5,6 & 3) were listed at 120nm as well - that correct?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #72
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Just a follow up:

Dan sent me modified new and improved version of pipe in longer length. Haven't tried it yet.

Old and inadequate on the left:

Quote:
Trip tree bearing puller was very nice. I've received a 'new improved' version of the steering head race puller and believe the CAD needs a bit of reboot. Sent a note to Dan who has been helpful along the way - completely possible I was doing something wrong too.

I solved the 'height issue' for races by repurposing an appropriately sized eye screw with a hack saw. This gave the tension nut the required clearance over the space tube to extract the race.

In a fantastic demonstration of slow thinking confusion, the first race took 90 minutes to extract with the second taking 9.

EZ pleazy

Factory version locked itself up before the job was done - bottomed out against the too tall two nut stack (or space tube to short)

The washer is split and must be squeezed with pressure to splay out and grab the race. Custom