Gypsyangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7tgr View Post
Remember that if you put a lower seat on, the seat to peg distance of

courese gets less. And in doing so cramps the legs a bit. One of the ways

folks are lowering the CRF is to remove the shock and redrilling the lower

mount. It does lessen the ground clearance but a very easy lowering.
Just to add as an afternote to anyone reading this thread, The CRF really does have a tight seating position. Much more like a sportbike than a Dualsport. I had been on it briefly before and never noted this,but after my ride tonight,really took notice. It's tighter than even the XT. Still not bad for me,but for the average height rider,this may even be an issue with the stock seat. One may have to look for a lower peg that may work on this bike.

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #3392
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
GypsyAngel and I just got a chance to go out on the bikes although they were all road miles. Depending on my gear and rev's, Sarah can out pull me with her on the CRF and me on the WRR. The CRF definitely pulls better down low, but the WRR keeps revving when the CRF runs out of steam. I just have to make sure I'm in the right gear when she decides to put on the heat!

There is definitely extra height and weight to the CRF over the XT for Sarah so that will be the true test off road how well she handles it. There is something to be said about being able to get your feet down in tricky situations and be comfortable holding the bike up.

Sarah actually let me switch with her while she rode the WRR and I got to ride the CRF. It's so funny seeing her doing ballerina moves on the WRR. The motor on the CRF is so smooth and quiet and it does pull better down low than the WRR which I think for Sarah's riding style will work better. The CRF cockpit is also more cramped and fits a smaller framed rider better and the seat to peg height is pretty short. Even compared to the WRR, I can feel the extra weight on the CRF. I guess in order to meet that price point, Honda had to skimp somewhere and the more porky bike was the outcome, but its still not terrible. The CRF does have more suspension than the XT and definitely more power and runs smoother when wound out going down the road.

I'm really looking forward to more rides and seeing how she adapts to the bike.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #3393
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 292
Folding Shift Lever

I scored a good deal on a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8 boots. The fit and condition are quite good. My only issue with these is that the toe is quite large and it is a bit difficult to get underneath the shift lever. I've missed a bunch of upshifts. I'm wondering if I can tweak the OEM lever. Can it be rotated upward on the shaft splines? Also thinking about one of the aftermarket folding levers.

Does anybody know if this shift lever will work on the LRP?

http://www.hdmoto.com/ProductDetails...Code=CRF250SLb

Telemarktumalo screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 07:03 PM
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #3394
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I scored a good deal on a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8 boots. The fit and condition are quite good. My only issue with these is that the toe is quite large and it is a bit difficult to get underneath the shift lever. I've missed a bunch of upshifts. I'm wondering if I can tweak the OEM lever. Can it be rotated upward on the shaft splines? Also thinking about one of the aftermarket folding levers.

Does anybody know if this shift lever will work on the LRP?

http://www.hdmoto.com/ProductDetails...Code=CRF250SLb
according to this site ..... it will not.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3395
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been collecting parts all winter and since this is the time of the year I make my money .... this is what I have gotten so far.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #3396
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
I scored a good deal on a pair of Alpinestars Tech 8 boots. The fit and condition are quite good. My only issue with these is that the toe is quite large and it is a bit difficult to get underneath the shift lever. I've missed a bunch of upshifts. I'm wondering if I can tweak the OEM lever. Can it be rotated upward on the shaft splines? [/URL]
Since we just picked up our CRF250L, I can't say for sure, but I have yet to see a dual sport type bike where you couldn't adjust the shifter on the splines to give you some more room.

I generally find this is the case when you move to big MX boots, that you have to adjust the shifter to give your foot some more room.

I also learned recently a new trick that some boots have on them. Some boots have a small lip on their heal that is specifically there to allow you to stick your foot in front of the shifter and use your heal to up shift. It takes a bit of practice to get used to though.

My buddy has a pair like this and he does this a lot.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #3397
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 261
Help!

Just picked my bike up today . . . . .where the hell is the owner's manual and the rest of the tool kit!!! There are two allen wrenches and a fuse puller in the tool kit. AND I CAN'T FIND THE OWNERS MANUAL it may be under the seat but I don't know how to remove that. Need the manual for that.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #3398
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapchik View Post
Just picked my bike up today . . . . .where the hell is the owner's manual and the rest of the tool kit!!! There are two allen wrenches and a fuse puller in the tool kit. AND I CAN'T FIND THE OWNERS MANUAL it may be under the seat but I don't know how to remove that. Need the manual for that.
that's all the tools you get
remove the two tie down looking bolts at the rear of the seat and slide the seat back towards the rear and lift to remove.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #3399
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Laugh Airhorn stebel nautilus installed

Check out video for the review
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #3400
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
I have been collecting parts all winter and since this is the time of the year I make my money .... this is what I have gotten so far.

Wow! That's quite a stash!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #3401
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Wow! That's quite a stash!

Spud
Yes it is ... I'm getting there
Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #3402
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 46
I hope you're installing some o' them goodies during this fine NE weather! My scooter is in the basement and I put that stuff on when it hits my doorstep!
2013 CRF 250L
2014 BMW GSW
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #3403
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Front forks

Was out riding the other day in some pretty good whoops and the front forks bottomed out, a bit of a pucker moment
Has any one re-valved the front shocks?
Would there be a problem to re-valve the front with out changing the rear shock at this point?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #3404
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
I hope you're installing some o' them goodies during this fine NE weather! My scooter is in the basement and I put that stuff on when it hits my doorstep!
I wish ... to dang much snow and I have no room in the garage.
The shock just showed up today but, it won't be long now !!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #3405
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Could someone give me the website for the CRF250L, WR250R, and the KLX250S, latest comparison test. It was posted here, but I can't fine it and I've looked. It's the one where the Honda is picked best overall, I think it was 3-4 color pages. I want to send it to a friend who thinks his KLX250S is the best thing ever.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote