Oddometer: 912
your still coming up right?

or else !!!!

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #92
Nc987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Para I am departing from Bellingham, WA for Prudhoe on or around the 29th. If you pass through this area and need anything, hit me up. I imagine you will be north of me before I depart.

One recommendation. Make sure to see the Olympic peninsula in WA. Beautiful area that can't be missed.

I would 2nd the recommendation from the guy about riding the Chief Joseph hwy/beartooth etc but would tell you to ride it on the way back south. I rode that area last summer and it was the highlight of my trip. Yellowstone is right near there so you can stay a night or two there also.

Oh, and I'm doing it on a Ninja 250 and plan to spend a heck of a lot less than these guys have been recommending. That is minus some major unforeseen events that I am sure will come my way.
Nc987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #93
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc987 View Post
Para I am departing from Bellingham, WA for Prudhoe on or around the 29th. If you pass through this area and need anything, hit me up. I imagine you will be north of me before I depart.

One recommendation. Make sure to see the Olympic peninsula in WA. Beautiful area that can't be missed.

I would 2nd the recommendation from the guy about riding the Chief Joseph hwy/beartooth etc but would tell you to ride it on the way back south. I rode that area last summer and it was the highlight of my trip. Yellowstone is right near there so you can stay a night or two there also.

Oh, and I'm doing it on a Ninja 250 and plan to spend a heck of a lot less than these guys have been recommending. That is minus some major unforeseen events that I am sure will come my way.

thats going to be sweet , a 250 on the Dalty highwy.!

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #94
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nc987 View Post

We might be up there around that time, depends on my friend who is coming along and if he is going to fly into Seattle or come with us from Cali. Thanks for the tips, we were looking at the peninsula but ruled it out. Might change that.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #95
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

So we did Joshua Tree this weekend and had a decent time. To far between dirt roads for my taste.

(Video link)

4 KLRs, 1 800xc Tiger.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #96
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Just need some recomendations for instant coffee, that tastes like real coffee. We used the stater bro's brand instant and I dont like it. Would prefer to get the coffee from a grocery store instead of online.

We have a way to make real coffee but I dislike cleaning it up in the morning.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #97
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Just need some recomendations for instant coffee
I, and many others, really like Starbucks VIA While I usually prefer a darker roast I prefer their medium Columbia over their Italian.

There's also a thread on coffee while traveling elsewhere here on ADV.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #98
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I am going to be doing a trip from Pensacola to Prudhoe Bay this year on a DR650, but I will end up going North on the PCH from San Francisco. My "plans" have me in Alaska towards the end of July staying through part of August. I have read many many weather threads on "best time to come to Alaska" and it seems the consensus is mid June to mid July (peak of tourism up there). Im kind of hoping to avoid the RVs and all that by coming a little later. Im not too worried about cold so much as rain- I guess it would be completely stupid of me to ask about rain in August huh?

If need be, I can eliminate some of my time spent in CONUS and avoid the higher passes in Colorado if it gives me a better chance at some good weather up there (by getting there sooner). I dont mind rain at all actually, but of course would like a few nice days to enjoy some photography and take in the sights. Any thoughts? You guys have all the knowledge being up there all the time

From what ive read, August can be rainy, yet recently it seems July has been that way and August has been relatively clear. I know- this far north there is no pattern and what happens happens. Thought id ask
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #99
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
I, and many others, really like Starbucks VIA While I usually prefer a darker roast I prefer their medium Columbia over their Italian.

There's also a thread on coffee while traveling elsewhere here on ADV.

Mark H.
Yikes, a buck a cup! Its worth it just to stop somewhere and get a cup of coffee for that price.
We will for sure have 3 people drinking coffee every morning and that is a bit steep for me.

Anything like that but 1/4 the price? lol
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #100
Ridingfast
n00b

Oddometer: 5
How many miles are you guys planning to ride a day?
Ridingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #101
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingfast View Post
How many miles are you guys planning to ride a day?
300 ish maybe. The first couple of days will probably be 500 mile days just to get out of California. Straight up the I-5 until we hit San Fransico.

We were planning on being back around Aug 1st, but that might not be followed. We will go as far in a day as we want to.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #102
Ridingfast
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wink

500 miles a day will take you there and back in 20 days. Isit alreadyplanned out? If yes can i see the route?
Ridingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #103
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Our plan is to take how ever long we want to take it. We are definitely not doing 500 miles a day. I have some it it planned out, but I keep changing it. We just changed out plans to do some dirt in Washington and maybe some dirt in colorado on the way back.

Only time we will be doing that many miles is from here to washington.

Here is the basic route

To Alaska
Up the 5 until San Fran, then go to the 101 and go through the redwood. In Oregon make way over to Crater lake. Head up the 5 and at the Oregon, washington border head inland a bit and start the Butler Maps Stevenson to Packword section
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN6c3gCQu3M

Then head inland to Seatle, Vancouver, Whistler, Then head up to Alaska and hit hyder on the way up (basically only 2 routes into Alaska).
Still not sure if we are going to hit the Pennisula first or go straight up to Prudhoe Bay.

Back To Cali
When we exit Alaska we will do Demspter Highway. Take the longer way back by going further into Canada and coming down into Wyoming. Hit Glacier NP, Yellowstone. Either then head straight back or do some dirt roads in Colorado.

ParaMud screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 06:40 PM
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #104
evilman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Is anyone will be using a chatterbox?
evilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #105
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman View Post
Is anyone will be using a chatterbox?
Natalie has the slim and I have the x1 regular.