Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Yet another 950 high fender brake line question...

I know there are 500 high fender threads already, but I can't find an answer for this anywhere.

When putting a high fender on a 950 Adventure you have two main options. 1) Converting the brake line setup to the 990 "S" style, with a tee at the triple clamp and a single line to the cylinder; in this setup the suspension travel is taken up by the S loops next to the forks, nothing moves by the bars. 2) Adding a second line off the master cylinder and running it straight down the front of the right fork. Suspension travel causes the brake lines to push up in front of the gauges a bit.

Now maybe I crash more than most, but I don't like the idea of all that brake line exposed in the S system, and the movement upward with the straight line isn't that bad.

But the problem when you have two straight lines the same length is the right one is about 6 inches too long and you have to make that loop which is really distracting. The question is does anyone know a KTM part number for a brake line that is 4-6 inches shorter than the stock one? Seems to me that would be the best solution, so no loop, just run it straight down.

Second question is does anyone know the specs for the banjo on the line? There is no real reason to use a KTM part, if you know the exact size you could just order an aftermarket one of the correct length.

Thanks!
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Can't help you with the shorter line since I went with the loop. But you do not need to order a new banjo, just swap the single hose one at the master with the double hose one from the caliper where the crossover line originates.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
Can't help you with the shorter line since I went with the loop. But you do not need to order a new banjo, just swap the single hose one at the master with the double hose one from the caliper where the crossover line originates.
Thanks...and I read all your previous posts on the subject, very helpful. I think the short line might be the perfect solution, just need to make sure of what will fit.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
Dakar

See the number of this guys number plate? See the brake lines?

I went the "S" route as well:

Good enough for Cyril Depres, good enough for me.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 657
You HAVE to have the loop, or you would put a kink in a shorter line when you hit the first bump.
I haven't had any problems with the 2-line system, and I don't even notice the loop when I'm riding.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 692
I think Cyril crashes less than most of us. He also has the cavalry trailing him with parts and the people who can install or repair 'em. I run mine on the inside to guard against tearing a line in the bush or crashing. Never had an issue with rubbing the tire. Especially if you have great attention to detail and use common sense. My 2 cents.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,331
I ran a shorter second line. Works ok but I didn't plan out the routing so well. It blocks the ignition switch a bit which makes taking the key out a bit of a pain. Go the "s" route.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
See the number of this guys number plate? See the brake lines?

I went the "S" route as well:

Good enough for Cyril Depres, good enough for me.
Very true, and if I go this route all your past posts will be very helpful. I saw that picture when you originally posted it and it almost convinced me, I was just thinking I ride a lot in an environment with lots of trees and brush, and maybe the S system was more for Dakar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
I think Cyril crashes less than most of us. He also has the cavalry trailing him with parts and the people who can install or repair 'em. I run mine on the inside to guard against tearing a line in the bush or crashing. Never had an issue with rubbing the tire. Especially if you have great attention to detail and use common sense. My 2 cents.
Hey Beema Killa...hope you got out riding today, I might try for this Sunday. Seeing as we ride the same trails, that's good to know. Plus it seems that you and Lycan1 went the inside of the forks way, maybe that is the best compromise between Dakar and Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
You HAVE to have the loop, or you would put a kink in a shorter line when you hit the first bump.
I haven't had any problems with the 2-line system, and I don't even notice the loop when I'm riding.
This is a great heads up, thanks...I wondered about how much play you really have to leave in the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
I ran a shorter second line. Works ok but I didn't plan out the routing so well. It blocks the ignition switch a bit which makes taking the key out a bit of a pain. Go the "s" route.
Thanks for the info - I hadn't found anyone who actually tried it...it sounds like you have to leave enough play in the line for fork travel, which would put it in a bad position if you don't have the loop.

So it sounds like it is the "S" route for me...just wanted to make sure 'cause the dual line isn't cheap. But with the mud we get up here when it starts to melt, I'm sure I'd just rip the low fender off so it needs to be done. I'll post some shots when I get it finished.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
http://pyndon.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...51_wQKXx-L.jpg
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

What is the length of the 2 brake lines on the 990s?

I have a 950 and am looking at making a transfer tube like Pyndon with a single brake line up to the master cylinder.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
What is the length of the 2 brake lines on the 990s?

I have a 950 and am looking at making a transfer tube like Pyndon with a single brake line up to the master cylinder.
So the reason for doing the tansfer tube rather than using the line with a T from a 990 non-abs model is that the 990 line is a bit tight to get around the high fender I think. Orangecicle, that is the line that you used, correct? Any problems with fit that would make the transfer tube worth doing?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
So the reason for doing the tansfer tube rather than using the line with a T from a 990 non-abs model is that the 990 line is a bit tight to get around the high fender I think. Orangecicle, that is the line that you used, correct? Any problems with fit that would make the transfer tube worth doing?

I followed PA Biker's High Fender Thread in HOW.

After I bought the parts and installed them then I came across Pydon's post.

I really do not like the 2 lines going to the master cylinder. I have the transfer tube threaded on both ends already but need to have the tabs tig welded on. Made up out of 304 stainless. Also going to make new brake lines up just in case I do not like what I come up with.

My high fender is shimmed down from the lower triple clamp since I have the Rigid D2s mounted on the BDCW triple clamp bracket (which I had to shim down with a 3/4" piece of aluminum to clear my SW Motech Crash Bars).
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
I have had both the dual line setup from the master cylinder and cross over "S" style. I can't say there was a marked difference between the two.

One problem I had with the dual line setup was that could never successfully stop the speedo cable from coming in contact with disk rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well whatever I do I better do it soon - had a rock get caught between the tire and low fender yesterday; just scraped things butI can see how it can be worse. Maybe until I get the lines I'll raise the low fender an inch with a few brackets...I will probably be able to use the brackets for the fork guards anyway.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
I followed PA Biker's High Fender Thread in HOW.

After I bought the parts and installed them then I came across Pydon's post.

I really do not like the 2 lines going to the master cylinder. I have the transfer tube threaded on both ends already but need to have the tabs tig welded on. Made up out of 304 stainless. Also going to make new brake lines up just in case I do not like what I come up with.
I saw someone asking on Pyndon's thread for the length of lines he used, I think he said he didn't keep any measurements. Has anyone already figured out what lengths are needed (06 950 standard)?

Also curious on the specs you used for your transfer tube. OD, ID, length.

I have the high fender on my 06 950 but I'm just running a single front disc at present (I run a front knobbie, I'd feel differently if I ran a front Scorpion). Even if I stick with one disc, I like the transfer tube idea as I hate the stupid loop of hose in the cockpit plus it makes it easy to switch between dual and single discs. KTM did a really nice job decluttering this area for the 990, 950 dash area sucks.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote