Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Akhenaten OP
"I wanna go fast!"

Oddometer: 12
Ugggh, I give up - help!!!

I've been lurking around here for many hours each day, trying to find myself just the right bike to buy. I have my loan in my sweaty hand and I'm ready to buy.... something.

A few details about me:

1. I'm a 140lb, 32 year old female - I lift heavy weights so bike weight is of less concern. I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam.

2. I live in the Pacific NW and have very little riding experience and very rusty mechanical skills. I love the power of motorcycles so I'm not afraid of something that suddenly goes fast.

3. I intend to ride around town and to/from work (20 highway miles each way). I also intend to ride it approximately 100 highway-speed miles to the mountains on the weekends, where (my main goal) is to learn how to ride off-road. If I had to assign a ratio, it would be 40 on/60 off.

4. Comfort on the highway is less important than having a decent platform on which to learn how to ride off-road. And off-road meaning fun singletrack with mud, creeks, obstacles. I'm not really into crazy jumps and boulder-hopping.

So there it is. The perfect dual-sport, which I know is impossible. I've been two seconds shy of laying down money on the following bikes:

- BMW G650GS (not as good off-road)
- Kawi KLR650 (not as good off-road, too top-heavy)
- Suz DRZ400 (I forget why I knocked this one off my list)
- KTM 450EXC (KTM dealer said too much bike for my experience level)
- Husky TE310 (definitely not an on-road bike to get to the mountains)

I'd appreciate any thoughts/insight/wisdom/advice/jokes, any info anyone might have to share in the torture of finding just the right bike.

Thanks so much
Akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote