ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #91
Carl

Oddometer: 754
billy p! The free online Babylon site was used to translate your drool. If you had your two German friends right there w/ you they would easily have known it was software such as Babylon that did the translation.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #92
Carl

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss-Motorsport View Post
Uff -

>>snip<<.

Chollo and Carl - yes we have some reasonable drummers here in Krautland. Jaki Liebezeit from can is one of them. There are Curt Cress and Herwig Mitteregger from Spliff / Nina Hagen Band and we have people like Manuel Göttsching from Ashra as real pioneers of electronic music. We also have one and the only trend setting artistic group generating new standards in the world of music and they are on tour currently in several museums: Kraftwerk.

They come from Düsseldorf 10 min. down the roads from where I live.

Zappa says: the crux of the bisquit is conceptual continuity - and this is what Kraftwerk is all about too.

But !!!

There is just one Frank Zappa....a man I call one of the rare intermedial genius ever living on this planet - beside this he is doing the most intelligent and funny interviews I have ever seen. I have all available recordings and dvd and I miss him living as a creative star shining so bright.

I had the pleasure to see him life in Dortmund on the broadway the hard way tour....what an experience !

And there was no Stevie Ray Vaughan here in Germany...

Yours in sport.

Dirk

In memory of John Britten and Nicola Tesla united in geniusity, looking down on us thinking what the hell are they doing ?!
Greetings Dirk!

In your eight posts here at advrider you've shared more technical info, and in a more pleasant/interesting manner, than any 5K plus odometer poster. That is so kool!

Hmm.. a bit pressed for time at this moment. I'll comment on the sound vibes discussion down the road. Time to go listen to some Ege Bamyasi.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #93
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
I couldn't find the pushrods. Any chance of a link?

On their site. Click on 2 ventiler. Then on the left click on ventiltrieb. My German isn't good enough to read much.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #94
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
billy p! The free online Babylon site was used to translate your drool. If you had your two German friends right there w/ you they would easily have known it was software such as Babylon that did the translation.

Carl
Sure. Everyone knows that all Germans are very familiar with babylon translations. Your genius never stops to amaze me Carl DC. DC stands for 'don't care'. I don't know what your last name is. I have never cared to look into it. Or remember it if I have ever come across it. Even though you sure do seem to be proud of knowing mine. It isn't suppose to be a secret I hope you have figured out by now although I still don't want it used on this forum per what the moderators told you in the past. I believe that was you? It is against the rules unless it is alright with me and it isn't but then again you always have to push it when it comes to dragging this forum down with BS and now you think you are taking it up a notch with babylon translations? You should give me a break too.

I was hoping your German wasn't that bad. ITMT, MOST everyone knows those online translators can be pretty bad.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 06:32 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #95
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
Edelweiss Motorsport, I am currently building an engine and would appreciate your insight in the following issues. When machining the piston to head squish band do you make each parallel to the other or slightly open in angle? What clearance do you recommend? Thanks for any input you care share.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #96
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
MOST everyone knows those online translators can be pretty bad.
mich mich mich mich mich, ich ich ich ich, Stöhnen Moan Stöhnen moan... Lol

I dunno, the Bing one seems to translate ok
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #97
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,640
Most excellent thread*** I'd skipped over the early part because I thought it was another 2-to-1 (oil/battery/tire) thread.

Carry on.

--Bill

*** of course, I've got some on Ignore, which helps. ;)

Bill Harris screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 04:28 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #98
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Typical Superschuft infested thread...

Would be interesting for Dirk to comment on the common Street Cams seen here abouts, other than the 336.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #99
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Once again. It's all up above in black and white. RG is the one spreading it. In German this time but that doesn't make it any better. Responding to personal crap is not spreading personal crap.
Read your PM.
This post was not intended to be a personal offence.
Just a warning to a newbie to this forum.
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #100
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
Sounds as if someone's nose has been put out of joint.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #101
Edelweiss-Motorsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Making a good thing better - and using the hot rod....

Sunday lunchtime sitting in front of the fire post,

RecycledRS - yes here you bring up one of the burning spots, as I was writing before: the clearance is one thing, shape and form makes the next difference.

In general:

1. There are calculation basics that i found to be used in full out race engines to define the squish area in relation to the bore.

2. Yes I use both, I machine the outer diameter area parallel and then open it in different angles depending on the complete setup, sometimes on bores up to 94 mm I keep it parallel all over.

3. If you are not a friend of the last detail go with all done parallel instead of risking to use the wrong angle....since this blows it all.

4. Machining the end of the squish too round and smooth will also blow the magic by a huge factor...better keep it edged, whatever they tell you in any book.

5. To take care of what is happening please hold in mind that you have to overcompensate the squish work - so go get the effect by the minimum possible losses.

6. Squish work is living from and at below 1,5 mm...

7. To make it tighter and tighter will not be of direct linear effect - this is the next step where you see if someone knows what he is doing or not. On a high or even just good performing engine the squish must be a part of the concept and / or corresponding to all what you do. How far are you willing to go ? When will it be ok for you ? Or are you looking for perfection anyhow ? Answer this before you start doing it yourself ! Below 0,75 mm you will find no effects that are worth being discussed in any case.....this is just valid for our 2V BMW engine !

Here are some more questions / comments to give you the most possible complete picture -

To give a useful advice please tell me:

What bore diameter below what exact cylinderhead are you using ?

What is the piston to cylinder clearance ? Steel liner or alu Nikasilcylinders ?

What camshaft will be used ?

What conrod length are you about to use ?

The last question is underestimated or even missunderstood most times.

It comes from the fact that the kinematic effects of the conrods are misinterpreted very often. If you try to calculate what is the outcome of a longer conrod in relation to the latheral forces from piston to cylinder you will find out that it is in our case not worth talking about it. All started for me when I was building the first complete self engineered engine using the 97 mm Mahle cylinders that where available and common that times. It was my intention to fabricate a very light and small two ring piston that was leading me to a conrod that has to be 13mm longer then the std. one. So in 1993 I ordered 148 mm conrods from Carrillo - and this was against all trends and all what the well known tuners that times, even the woks bmw people where doing. They all reduced the conrod length to 125 mm using very light titanium conrods....

Ok on the dyno we could not believe the effect - it was the first ever build two valve bmw engine pulling veritable and often measured by different magazines 100 plus HP. This is not questioning what Udo Gietl did in the 70's but as the time went by I got all engines from all mentionable tuners on my own dyno and I can tell you by 100% safety the strongest one was the engine of my first ever race engine customer European Champion Mr. Julius Ilmberger who delivered an engine to me prepared from the works tuning guru Mr. Otto Lantenhammer in Munich. After I was overtaking him with my bike on a straight at Dahlemer Binz which was a famous airfield race that times he came to me saying: whoever was building the engine in your bike will build engines for me from now on.

This Lantenhammer engine has already a 100 mm bore and an output of 92 HP - all others where below that figure...!

Ok we did longer conrods, other pistons, new heads with std. port angle instead of the straight ones an other cam and generated close to 110 HP with 45 mm
Bing slide carbs. Julius Ilmberger and his team mate where then classic bears champions using Edelweiss Motorsport engines and parts.

The longer conrod has a great influence because it makes the piston stay longer at TDC and when it is there it is part of the porting.

So as a side hint: try to understand the system and make your piston dome flowing....

However the longer conrod is also supporting the exhaust side and was at one time resulting me to develop and use asymmetrical cams.

Try to think around the next corner and you will see quite clear that conrod length has to fit the squish.

Carl - thanks for the tip !!! now try to find Sade Adu on youtube singing charish the day on her lovers life tour 2001...what grace and beauty combined with a package of coolness and sex, wow this is breathtaking !

Alternative from Sweden and a total different direction - band junip - song: line of fire

Keep on rocking in a free world....yours,

Dirk

Edelweiss-Motorsport screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 07:01 AM
Edelweiss-Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #102
RGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss-Motorsport View Post
This is not questioning what Helmut Gietel did in the 70's
Hallo Dirk,

the name's Udo Gietl.
I have a loose email contact to him and although he represents the 70ies era he has a lot to tell.
At the moment he's restoring his old R90S street bike, giving it a roller cam setup.

It's often heard that the old power figures are exaggerated. I tend to believe that.
On the other side in '76 the B&S bikes were trapped at over 143 mph or 234 km/h top speed.
The later bike at more than 150mph.
With near stock R90S aerodynamics.
I'd say it takes some serious power to get there?

Greetings to the fire post

Rudi
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #103
Edelweiss-Motorsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Udo and his younger sister Helmut

Hi Rudi,

Yes you are right - I never had the chance to dyno Udo's engines and this is the reason why mention him explicit at this point.

The bikes where fast and yes you are right again power numbers today are harder to get since correction factors and norms where making them much more conservative.

When I started I was trying to get all available information about the B+S bikes as well as of the very very fast Wolfgang Schnepf engine - which I consider the strongest at that times with 1000ccm during the wunderful bot years.

Wolfgang was a young innovative BMW Ingenieur that times and later worked for Porsche in Weissach. We met each other at a race in Oschersleben and stayed in contact since I work for Porsche on a loose basis as an instructor since then.

Tell Udo and his sister Helmut that he should not go for the roller cam - I did all this and still have all parts on stock....but for a lot of reasons it is not the way to
the holy gral. Flat tapped cams are easier to get modern profiles on.

If he is trying to get nascar technology, like some guzzi dudes did, inside the flat twin tell him it means 17 mm valve lift or even more which will not fit into the rocker geometry at all, beside this you calculate the lift in approx 28% of the valve diameter...so this is also a question to be answered.

So better using a current racecam, mushroom lifters if necessary....etc.

If he wants to take the next step - our all new developed billet heads are around the corner.....not thinking this is right for a vintage R 90 S.

Best regards to Udo and Helmut !

Dirk
Edelweiss-Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #104
RGregor

Hi Dirk,

Udo's restoring his bike to be like it was in the 70ies, not developing it any further.

Greetings, Rudi

PS: there's a slight chance that I'll ride to the Classic TT in August. I might drop in for a coffee then. Any holiday planned then?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #105
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Typical Superschuft infested thread...

Would be interesting for Dirk to comment on the common Street Cams seen here abouts, other than the 336.
Easy Less, you might ask more questions or contradict Dirks opinions if you knew more and had some experience of your own with topics of this discussion. I was basically asking just one question but I never really got an answer so I am giving up on that issue. I know a lot of inmates that appreciate my comments on 336's that counter a lot of the cams negative legacy. Some of it I agree with but I think some of it's supposedly negative attributes are actually good things. There is no need to ask Dirk about things I have been advocating for a long time here. Late model small port heads and long rods are two of the bigger things IMO.