ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #31
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwon View Post
How do you get the rebate, I don't see it on the website?
I found it at GPSCity.com

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #32
sumwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I found it at GPSCity.com

Cheers,
Thanks a lot.
sumwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #33
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
MapShare Pages

would any of you fine folk with InReach devices be willing to share your Mapshare pages so I can see a few different ones. I really want to ditch my Spot 1 (which has been undeniably reliable) so I can have the 2 way messaging and coveage offered by the InReach. My only hesitation is that Spotwalla seems so much better for sharing my tracking.
thanks Get Bent for sharing yours, I'd like to see a few more examples if I could

Thanks
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
sumwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I finally got a good chance to try out the tracking on a trip to AZ, here is a link to my MapShare data:

password = password

[Click link] MapShare

For those interested in signal strength, the inReach was sitting in the center console cup holder of the car the whole trip. Seems to have done pretty well.

sumwon screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 09:28 PM
sumwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 929
The Map share works well from this end. Thank you for posting it. I see you were speeding a bit.
I'm surprised there aren't more postings about the Inreach, it offers much more than the Spot in my very biased opinion.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #36
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Australian User

After my research, it was a lay down in favour of the Inreach as compared to the Spot. The reasons are the true global satellite coverage and the TWO-WAY messaging capability.

However........

I ordered my unit on the internet, as the Australian supplier was charging like a wounded bull. It was delivered to a friend in the USA who brought it out for me. So far so good.

Then I went onto the DeLorme website to register the unit and get my plan up and running, which is where the fun and games started. When I told the computer I lived in Australia, it told me I had to have an Australian plan and redirected me to a crowd called Pivotel. I found that everything from connection to plans were considerably more expensive and, in particular the plans offered less by way of number of messages and tracking points as offered in the USA plans. (Canadians, I hear your cries as well.)

'Stuff that for a joke' was my immediate response. The system is global and wireless and so apart from GST there should be no differential in cost of delivery. I emailed Pivotel and put the case to them and they gave me some nonsense answer which actually insulted my intelligence. I advised them I was NOT going to contribute to their super profits or subsidise their inefficient management practices, as the case may be. I then emailed DeLorme and I wish to give them a thumbs-up. They answer emails.

Their initial response was it was an Australian delivered unit and therefore had to have an Australian plan. The Lord be praised, my unit was delivered to an address in North Carolina. The next trick was they wanted a credit card with an American address. Ok.... I called one of my Mastercard providers (Australian) and said: 'I would like to change my address to the USA'. To my surprise and delight it was all done over the phone. That is first class customer service.

Emailed DeLorme who spoke to their computer and the next day I was able to set up my USA plan, which is quite reasonable.

How is it working?

Tracking is fine. Pairing to my iPhone, no problems. Sending and receiving SMS' works best with my USA, Australian and European connections, although it can be slow sometimes. I haven't yet tried the email messaging. I am still on my original batteries and have knocked up about ten hours.

All in all, acknowledging that my experience is limited, I am happy to recommend the Inreach, not the least because support from DeLorme is good. However, one needs to be able to access USA pricing, otherwise it is very expensive.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Owned a SPOT2 for 6 months or so..It got the job done but there is always that sense of wonder as it is a one way line to help. What got me more interested in looking for alternatives was I headed out riding one day and everything on my spot looked fine. Lights blinking showing I was transmitting a solid signal. 10 hour ride in the mountains and not 1 of the signals I thought was being transmitted made it to my Dad who follows me when I'm out alone. Needless to say we talked about all the things that were wrong with the design. After learning about the different types of satellite "Constellations" and about 2 way transmissions I purchased an Inreach. One trip was all it took side by side with the SPOT to see which unit is more advanced. Sending a detailed text from the middle of nowhere and getting a response relatively fast puts all my family's mind at ease.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
cabezagrande
magically delicious

Oddometer: 21
InReach to Ushuaia

I used the InReach in Oct-Nov of '12 on a 5,500 mile loop in southern SA to Tierra del Fuego. The Spot satellite network made the InReach the only choice as Spot simply does not work in the far south.

The device was great--I camped 2/3 of the nights and there was no internet so it was my only way to communicate--so text/email functionality via my Android device was a great thing. On that note, I never had any issues with pairing with my Android device (Google Tablet).

Battery life is OK with Lithium Ion and horrible (1.5 days) with lousy South American batteries. The device does work while within a pocket or bag--I kept mine in my Camelbak as I was afraid of the 'in trouble and not on my bike' scenario.

Maps/tracking features are great--nice that the family could see where I was and 'click' to get a GoogleEarth type experience and virtually see what I saw that day.

Overall--big fan of the device. As others mentioned the plan is a bit spendy. When I returned I took the plan down to the min level. Still carry it on solo rides or when backcountry but I don't need all the text messages and tracking--it is just there as an emergency tool.
cabezagrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
Ashalina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
inReach SE Coming April 2013

An updated version of the Delorme inReach is coming in April. This device will have an integrated screen and keyboard which eliminates the need to pair the device to a cell phone.

Details are limited at this point but what we can see thus far is promising.

Expect prices to come down on the existing inReach models to come down soon.
Ashalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 929
That sounds good. Mine may be for sale soon then.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #41
Fauster
BACON AKBAR!

Oddometer: 474
I used my inReach Blue (paired to smartphone) a few weeks ago on a 800+ mile trip to West Virginia. I was staying within the quiet zone of the National Radio Telescope Observatory so there is no cell service - a perfect opportunity to use satellite communication technology.

Bottom line - the unit performed flawlessly. I sent one of my pre-written messages directly from the unit and several texts through my phone. All were received promptly. Tracking also worked perfectly - my wife watched me getting closer to home and had dinner ready for me as I pulled in the driveway. The RAM mount held it securely on my handlebars but there was quite a bit of buzzy vibration - I need to add some padding between the unit and the mount.

As for the new inReach SE, my only concern is that it uses an internal battery vs. AA batteries. Not a deal breaker for motorcycle use but certainly an issue for extended backcountry hiking trips.

PA ADVrider Relay Rider
Fauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #42
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauster View Post
I used my inReach Blue (paired to smartphone) a few weeks ago on a 800+ mile trip to West Virginia. I was staying within the quiet zone of the National Radio Telescope Observatory so there is no cell service - a perfect opportunity to use satellite communication technology.

Bottom line - the unit performed flawlessly.
My experience exactly. My InReach has worked perfectly in the many many places I go where there is no cell service - whether with the kayaks, the motorcycle or the truck. Also in Canada, where my phone might work but where I would incur fairly steep roaming charges if I used the data option on the cell. I've been very pleased with battery life and with the overall ruggedness of the design - my InReach has been wet more than once while in the kayak - no issues.

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #43
Parkcomm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Mine works great - plans are a bit pricy in oz.

I clip mine on my jacket - in case an accident separates me from the bike. No probs with connectivity.
Parkcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #44
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauster View Post

Bottom line - the unit performed flawlessly. I sent one of my pre-written messages directly from the unit and several texts through my phone. All were received promptly. Tracking also worked perfectly - my wife watched me getting closer to home and had dinner ready for me as I pulled in the driveway. The RAM mount held it securely on my handlebars but there was quite a bit of buzzy vibration - I need to add some padding between the unit and the mount.

As for the new inReach SE, my only concern is that it uses an internal battery vs. AA batteries. Not a deal breaker for motorcycle use but certainly an issue for extended backcountry hiking trips.
This thing gets great battery performance. Been on the road about three weeks with my SE and I can attest to the 100hr. battery life with 10min Tracking on. GPS lock has never been a problem and messages go and come easily.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #45
Parkcomm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Correction on my previous note - I've noticed recently what looked like it might be a problem - so I tried to track it down on the weekend.

What I've noticed is that tracking drops out when in the forest (you need to be able to see the sky fir sat comms). Which is expected.

The problem is that tracking does not automatically pick up again. I turned the unit on and off and the tracking does picks up again.

Then I noticed one of the tracking points was dated NEXT week.

The unit is less than a year old and has been treated very well. To me this is a serious problem. Whilst the main reason I got the unit was for 2 way Comms - if you have a serious problem, you need the confidence that people know roughly where you are.

Sent from my foam - stupid auto correct.
Parkcomm is offline   Reply With Quote