ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #6961
amf4399
Adventurer
 
amf4399's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Stock bore for the XL600 is 100mm.

101 is an overbore kit.

Honda overbore kits are 100.25 and 100.50
Great thanks.
amf4399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #6962
davek181
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 745
If you are thinking big bore, the largest I know of without doing major mods and using still using original sleeve rebored is the Wiseco 102.4. I ran one in my XL for many miles and years with no problems. I ran it with stock cam and springs etc. It made a noticeable difference in power, with no changes in mannerisms. As they say, there is no substitute for cubic inches.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #6963
m2h
"Old guys rule"
 
m2h's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Waipu New Zealand
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
If you are thinking big bore, the largest I know of without doing major mods and using still using original sleeve rebored is the Wiseco 102.4. I ran one in my XL for many miles and years with no problems. I ran it with stock cam and springs etc. It made a noticeable difference in power, with no changes in mannerisms. As they say, there is no substitute for cubic inches.
Hi. Im in the process of a rebuild on my '86 and have purchased a Wiseco 101 11:1 kit. With the higher compression i was wondering about the need to look at jetting to get the most out of it.
I live at sea level, temperature range about 5 - 30 deg C. The jetting I have is 108, 65 main carb and 105 in the other.
Any advise would be appreciated so I can do it while the beast is in bits!
Thanks
M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #6964
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Hi. Im in the process of a rebuild on my '86 and have purchased a Wiseco 101 11:1 kit. With the higher compression i was wondering about the need to look at jetting to get the most out of it.
I live at sea level, temperature range about 5 - 30 deg C. The jetting I have is 108, 65 main carb and 105 in the other.
Any advise would be appreciated so I can do it while the beast is in bits!
Thanks
M2H
If you dont change anything airflow-wise [ filter , airbox or exhaust ] your bike will run richer due to the increased compression.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #6965
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf4399 View Post
I hate to ask this question because for those that know what they are doing will know this answer. I omit that I don't know what I am doing but I am learning as I go.

Is 101.00mm the stock rings for the 83 600r?

Thanks
Hey, we all started out ignorant. When I was born I knew nothing. Now at 67, I know even less!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #6966
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Hey, we all started out ignorant. When I was born I knew nothing. Now at 67, I know even less!

And it's all down hill from here on.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #6967
davek181
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Hi. Im in the process of a rebuild on my '86 and have purchased a Wiseco 101 11:1 kit. With the higher compression i was wondering about the need to look at jetting to get the most out of it.
I live at sea level, temperature range about 5 - 30 deg C. The jetting I have is 108, 65 main carb and 105 in the other.
Any advise would be appreciated so I can do it while the beast is in bits!
Thanks
M2H
I live near sea level too, but have much larger jets in my 87 XL. 125 primary carb, 118 secondary.

Bigger bore usually doesn't need drastically different jets, but yours sounds too lean to start with from my experiences.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #6968
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Hey, we all started out ignorant. When I was born I knew nothing. Now at 67, I know even less!
Hmm, I'm a bit more conservative...I started off with nothing, after careful budgeting, I found that I still have most of it left
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6969
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/
 
HeadTrauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Bigger bore usually doesn't need drastically different jets, but yours sounds too lean to start with from my experiences.
And higher compression will make a lean mixture more likely to ping.
__________________
1995 XR628R -Lots of goodies...room for more.
"Another breakdown, suicidal shakedown,
Feels like I'm livin' on a chain gang."
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #6970
m2h
"Old guys rule"
 
m2h's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Waipu New Zealand
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
And higher compression will make a lean mixture more likely to ping.
Thanks all, for the replies I guess I will need to research the thread for some more on jetting . It sounds a bit of a mine field !!
M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #6971
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,182
I wanna rejet mine but I don't know anything about it. I'm pretty sure I can get more power out of this thing if i changed the jets
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #6972
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,182
So basically I go WOT and shut the engine off and pull the plug for a reading?

Mine kinda looks like this when I check/change it once in a while

__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #6973
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Oddometer: 86
Seal on the tank

Anyone knows where I could find the white seal wich is installed on the edge of the fuel tank on a XL600 LM?

Many thanks,

Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #6974
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post
Anyone knows where I could find the white seal wich is installed on the edge of the fuel tank on a XL600 LM?

Many thanks,


How about automotive door edge protector?
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #6975
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post
Anyone knows where I could find the white seal wich is installed on the edge of the fuel tank on a XL600 LM?

Many thanks,

Car door edge trim at an autoparts store. They usually have it in black , chrome and clear.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014